Friday, April 10, 2020

Seems to be soup weather again, with forays into blister rust

Bitter howling winds and rain, hail etc, means an extended soup season.

Which also meant, since my gallant son was not able to get here till this evening with the groceries, riding over the hill, panniers packed, I had to rummage about in the freezer.

I found the last of last year's farm asparagus, the last of some green beans, and remembered chickpeas in the Cabinet of Beans.

So, chicken broth, curry powder, plenty of fresh ground black pepper, milk powder, the end of the potato flakes for thickening, and a large pot of soup emerged.



With that bready cornbread, pretty good. And several more meals to go.

The other reason to finish the asparagus, aside from being high time, is that this year's asparagus season is almost on us.



This early in the year, the farm stand is not staffed, so there's an honor box for the money, padlocked, and a change box to get change. They've been doing this for years.

 Only in the last couple have they had to install cameras, sadly. Much bigger population, no history with the Stults family, and the sheer labor of farming, I'd guess.

 Anyway the first asparagus is an event. I imagine since it's food they'll be able to open. Since NJ is an agricultural state, despite our industry, pharma, etc, there are laws about permitting food production. Watering bans in droughts don't apply, even to home gardens producing food.

We have laws against gooseberries, too! They can not be grown here because they carry white pine blister rust, a scourge of the white pines which are an important export crop. One crop pitted against another.

Full disclosure: I had a lovely gooseberry bush in our first house, planted by the previous owner, probably predating the law. Made some good jam, too.

7 comments:

  1. We woke up to snow yesterday - quite rude of Mother Nature I thought. We've been eating a lot of soup lately but there's no quibble from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been having springlike weather except for icy winds. Very deceptive, lovely sun, but bitter wind.

      Delete
  2. The soup sounds delicious!

    Honour boxes are used here as well, still without camera I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The added milk is very good to maintain the asparagus flavor, so it's not overwhelmed by the beans, I find.

      I'm glad you can go without cameras. I guess your population is still small. Ours suddenly ballooned a few years ago. When I first came to this town, there were 700 households. Now north of 24k. Mostly city people not always familiar with the etiquette of living in a small place, I think.

      Delete
  3. It's what I would call chilly here this morning (for us) but it's going to warm up today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all relative! My friends in Minnesota would be in shorts and t-shirt in temps that I think need a coat, hat, gloves etc. And I think chilly for you would be pretty warm for me.

      Delete
  4. Extending soup season is a bonus of chilly spring weather. I've heard the wind howling more this last month than I did all winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!