Sunday, April 26, 2020

Current state of play on the Big Star Thing Maybe

Two layers of fabric now, the back one a lovely batik, the top the piece I dyed.



 I'm just laying out ideas for reverse applique, had several different designs going, not settled yet, but I would like to get into the reverse applique. It might end up being more significant  than the positive appliques.

Reverse applique involves cutting the top layer in the shape wanted, to expose the bottom layer, then stitching the raw edges inside.

 So, when I have the positive appliques, then the base fabric then the reverse appliques, there will be three layers. And maybe I'll do further reverse appliques into the reverse apps. I'm really liking this idea.

And wanting to get drawing and cutting and hooping.

Just pushing thoughts about right now.

8 comments:

  1. So engrossed in designing that I put this post in the wrong blog, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did reverse applique once in my life. A large piece, and the hardest thing I've ever done. I learned it watching a Hmong craftsman plying her needle for little reverse applique items for her booth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it. I've done a bit, but not an entire design. The Hmong do lovely work in carving and fabrics.

      Delete
  3. Ah - when I come to the right church and sit in the correct pew, I discover the reason for the slits in the fabric. Proves I should spend more time in church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! Yes, it would have helped if I'd posted in the right place.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!