Friday, April 17, 2020

A Friday thank you

I have four different neighbors currently texting to offer shopping, just give them a list. Plus my son, just a list, Mom,done.

I think they're all in league to keep me at home cooking treats for them..

Here's a surprise that showed up yesterday, on the step.

 Asked by neighbor what I needed,I'd mentioned ginger and garlic, but said no hurry, just if you ever  happen to be in a shop that has them, since their trip was to a store that doesn't.  Not to make a special trip.



An hour later, these showed up. Payment firmly refused.

This kind of gesture doesn't just happen overnight. Years of friendship go into making a community, and the care goes both ways. I tend only to talk about what is done for me, but I'm sure you realize we've all done our bit for each other.

And right now the bread we've tossed on the water is coming back multiplied. It's such a help to feel valued when everything's frightening. And to feel useful.

 My state has now lost more people than we did on 9/11.   We're in the epicenter of the virus. Field hospitals operating, thousands of retired medics back as volunteers, revised licencing, cutting red tape to allow fully qualified immigrants with MDs from their home countries to practice in NJ.

Volunteers at food banks, making gowns, masks for medical personnel. Grocery workers in masks and gloves, sturdily working their shifts as usual. 

It feels as if the whole state is mobilized. Staying home out of the way, refraining from grumbling, being a cheerful presence, are such tiny things in comparison to people daily risking everything. But I think it helps.

And I think ginger and garlic just illustrate it all nicely.

So I'm thankful. And now I have to chop and freeze them.

11 comments:

  1. Great symbols of the time indeed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lovely people in your life because you are a lovely person.
    Not having to shop feels better than I thought it would, and I do my own shopping. Not needing to go out feels like being on vacation in a candy store.

    I'm glad I have my glasses on. The ginger scared me for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the ginger should come with a warning!

      Delete
  3. I wonder if, when this is over, people will have that sense of community more so than ever before. I truly hope so. As you say, it goes both ways and the kindnesses you do will come back to you. Stay safe Liz - and the same wishes to your family of neighbours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it is a family in some ways, complete with characters!

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely doing your part by staying home, and continuing to foster the community that you've helped build over the years. And art! And music! Stay well.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be beloved, Boud!
    Garlic and ginger- better than gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good words. Wise words. In your post and in the comments. And chuckling at Salty Pumpkin above. Ginger is so weird looking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger is a bit strange. I wonder if there are myths about it?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!