Monday, April 13, 2020

Everyday disasters aren't suspended for the virus

So this morning, midst the storm I heard a creaking, screeching crashing sound, thought it was a tree down, couldn't see anything.

Then fire, police, ambulance showed up, sirens, flashing lights. Neighbor reported to me that someone, trying to back into his own parking spot, had crossed the street, jumped the curb, crossed the grass and come to rest in the kitchen across the street.



A nonvirus, nonstorm calamity.  One person led gently into ambulance, fire department checking safety of remaining wall, shutting off utilities, we have gas, vital to check. Now boarded up and tarped against the rest of the storm.




I could hardly think of a worse time for this to happen.  Cue the locusts.

While I was out  l found my daffodils broken by the wind, cut them


Here, left, the rescued daffodils, and on the right the bag of spent flowerheads I keep in the freezer for future paper making.



And a neighbor on the other side I haven't seen for a while offered to shop for me, share supplies etc. I'm very lucky to live where I do.

Which is more than I can say for the poor folks with a hole in their house. But all the emergency folks were here in maybe five minutes. And they won't get rain indoors. So there's that. Not exactly what they were expecting today.

19 comments:

  1. As my favorite saying these days goes- sure didn't see that coming.
    Can be applied to everything from the virus to a car in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. No, only the older man who was given a hand into the ambulance. I think he was a bit shocked. but no evident injuries to people.

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing for first responders this is life as usual (responding to random emergencies, not cars in kitchens, necessarily). For me, stories like this are startling reminders that life really is going on outside my little cocoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we were all surprised it was just a regular problem. Aside from the virus, which is very prevalent here, we all lived through Sandy, which broke overhead. Do this kind of storm brings us running to see who might need rescuing if their roof has gone, or a major tree has come down. We do as of this morning have many old trees down, wires down, flooding. Do this was an oh, none of the above sort of event. Still no fun for the people involved.

      Delete
    2. For do read so almost always. Doh!

      Delete
  4. Wow. That was a shocker for sure. The last thing one expects to happen to their home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as rare as we'd like, in the state with the most vehicles per sq mile in the US. Usually it happens when someone comes off a highway into a development, misses the turn speed, plows into the nearest house. It's not usually a parking event.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, what a humiliating way to attempt to park your car! And the damage!!! What a shame, but I'm glad no-one was hurt..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure the home with the car in their kitchen were surprised. Not a good day at all and I agree...cue the locusts.
    Your daffodils are pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was odd, I was out picking flowers while all around were huge vehicles, flashing lights, men in protective gear shouting back and forward, street totally blocked.

      Delete
  7. You are so right, things will happen regardless of the virus. I take it no one was injured, but still, what a horrible thing to happen to your neighbors. Then a kind neighbor offering to share and help each other. The other day I thought: I hope I won't get a toothache in the midst of this pandemic. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were talking about this after the crash. We need to take great care of health right now, because we can't afford an "ordinary" illness nor accident.

      Delete
  8. Oh goodness - talk about excitement! Hopefully the drive is okay and it wasn't some type of health event that caused it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the driver who left in the ambulance. He walked in with a helping arm.

      Delete
  9. Well, at least it made for an interesting day for you and nobody was seriously injured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not physically anyway. Definitely interesting in the Chinese sense. The driver and the homeowners all Chinese, as it happens.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!