The start of the heatwave kept me away from the needlearts group today, and since another member was stuck waiting for a service call, and another was out of town, I wonder if there was a quorum.
I was out early visiting plants and admiring my solar lantern, now hanging in the Japanese maple. It casts lovely soft interesting shadows around in the dark, very pleasing.
Indoors I checked out my favorites, succulents and the offspring growing in a miniature pot, fingernail nearby for scale.
Some weaving happened and as usual gave me ideas for more weaving.
Then I thought about maybe painting a bit or drawing and said self, you're waving your arms, giving unwanted advice to Mitch about trying a different art form, why not stop weaving for a minute, and do a bit of something else yourself?
So I did. First drawing I'd done since this time last year. A kind of rusty here goes nothing few minutes. This is my entire watercolor setup. Little painting then a little drawing.
That was a nice little interlude and my hand started to remember how to do this. It's so much more subtle movement and closer observation than crafting work. Maybe I'll do it a bit more.
Later came Textiles and Tea with
She's a weaver and mixed media artist, Caribbean tradition, who uses artificial hair as her main weft material. Her warps are cotton.
This was a commission for a special event
She takes part in Carneval, and these pieces reflect her costume
She's very young and I think we'll see a lot more of her work, already appearing in juried shows and good galleries. She'll be in New York in September, check her website for details.
So that's today around here, happy day everyone, do something different to take your mind off whatever you need to take your mind off.
And while you're at it, US blogistas, please call or message your senators to urge passage of the bill before them, S4814.
This bill restores and extends temporary protected status to Haitian residents. It's a workaround against the misbegotten SCOTUS decision to rescind it.
It occurs to me to mention that every time I urge you to take some action, I've already done it myself. It's not just doasIsay! Just sayin.
I have some ideas about the hilarious range if Lyft drivers I've met recently, and the weird bosses I've had. I was reminded of bosses by some revenge fiction I've been hearing, terrible writing, so bad it's funny. But since the bad guys are exposed and shamed and the good guys win, it's clearly fiction. Another day for that.
The Caribbean weaving is interesting. I do love your garden and the mini succulents, your artwork is good too.
ReplyDeleteShe's a talented emerging artist. I really like succulents a lot, so ready to grow and multiply. Thank you for the nice words about the drawing.
DeleteI've been reading your blog for a while now, but I think this is the first time I've seen your drawings. Something else you're talented at.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a while since I showed any. I need to draw more.
DeleteI’m glad you started painting again. I do know what you mean. When you haven’t
ReplyDeleteDone something for a while the brain just doesn’t know what to tell your hands.
I was like that when I started to crochet the squares. After about three I was fine again
It was hard to slow down and let it happen. So different from making stuff where you make it happen.
DeleteOutdoor solar lighting used to be rubbish, so I'm pleased to know it has improved.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy with this little light, anyway.
DeleteShenequa’s work is wonderful. So is yours. The gardens look beautiful.
ReplyDeleteShe's really interesting, such a nice person, a bit shy about being on this event. Thank you for the nice words.
DeleteHappy Canada Day to the world. 🇨🇦
ReplyDeleteHappy dsy!
DeleteThanks for doingwhatyoudo!! This decision is outrageous. Your watercolor is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping the legislation passes. Thank you for the nice words!
DeleteI quite like what you've created on the page with paints and pen. I've been thinking about doing something similar lately.
ReplyDeleteJust do it! I don't know if I've ever seen your drawings.
DeleteLovely gardens. Your paining is great and you have given me the urge to get back to painting.
ReplyDeleteThe heat wave is here but so far not to bad.
Cathy
Definitely paint! If you get the materials out ready and the water, you'll find yourself painting next chance you get.
DeleteYour drawing/painting is terrific. Bravo for trying something new (or relatively new).
ReplyDeleteThank you. I seem to get an annual drawing urge in July!
DeleteFor some reason, despite weeks of saying "When I get to the lake I can't wait to paint," I can't seem to make myself pick up a brush. What's with that?
ReplyDeleteThat sounds familiar, when the future suddenly becomes now. I expect it won't be long before you're back at it.
Deletesolar lamps have come a long way - we put one on a post to light the path from cabin to toilet and it shines all night - even when nights are 15 hours and days don't provide direct sunlight for all of the other 9 hours. that photo of your patio/yard with tree chair and view to distance is lovely- colour and shapes
ReplyDeleteI'm very pleased with my lamp. I looked out in the middle of the night and it's glowing in the tree, lovely effect seen from above. I continue to be glad we bought this place, a lot of the view can't be changed, no building, etc.
DeleteArtificial hair for weaving - that's a new one! Looks effective though.
ReplyDeleteI was gifted a solar lamp several years ago and loved it - untill the first rainstorm that flooded out the battery pack somehow and then it refused to work. I took the 'guts' out and now it's a pretty decoration in the living room.
I wonder how weatherproof mine is, too.
DeleteHey Boud. The art you did doesn't look rusty to me. Looks PRETTTTTYYYYY!!!! I am not yelling ... well, a little when I say PRETTTTY. The rest of the sentence is inside voice.
ReplyDeleteToo funny! And thank you.
Delete