Happy Juneteenth! It's been a federal holiday since President Biden declared it, a few years ago. High time.
It took a while for the news to get to Galveston, no doubt slaveholders weren't hurrying it along any.
Meanwhile back at the loom, I'm nearly at the end of the warp threads. In case any expert is reading and needs to know: this is 8/4 cotton. 8 relates to the weight, 4 to the ply, 4-ply.
Soon I'll be taking the finished band off, and seeing how it works. I'm really glad I got this loom, easier than backstrap, much as I like the simplicity of backstrap.
And, in case there's any danger of my running out of things to make 'n do, here's a linen top I made a while back.
It fits but just doesn't suit me. There's not enough me to fill it curvily.
It's nicely hand stitched, with a pleat detail on the sleeves
And a bit of fancy stitching there
So I needed to decide: upcycle? Freecycle? Both?
Then I did my usual procedure on a top that isn't working, cut it up the front to make a jacket.
I'll stitch the raw edges probably blanket stitch, up and back again. Probably in white.
After that I'll see if embroidery or stamping or dyeing might happen. Also I wonder about adding patch pockets. Maybe in a fancy print, hm, I need to check what I have.
If none of it ends up suiting me, I expect some keen Freecycler will appreciate a handmade linen jacket with pockets. There's plenty of summer still to go, to wear it.
Which all reminded me I need to iron my linen jackets. They're clean but a bit limp and crumpled, aren't we all.
I did iron one jacket, which involved filling the water reservoir in the iron, which involved finding and filling something to use to pour the water into the tiny awkward opening. After all that I decided one was enough. It's a Federal Holiday after all. Or some such excuse.
Happy day everyone, enjoy your day even if it's not a holiday where you are.
Happy Juneteenth! That's a clever way to use that linen shirt. I don't wear clothes that might need ironing; therefore, I never iron clothes! ;)
ReplyDeleteI make an exception for my linen jackets. I love them enough to iron them. Not very often, though!
DeleteI was just thinking of that today -- 2 years! Things have gotten faster but maybe not better in all ways. Still, I'm glad to live when I do.
ReplyDeleteThere were reasons slaveholders were not in a hurry to free their large unpaid labor force.
DeleteThe performance to fill the iron made me laugh - been there done that got the T-shirt...
ReplyDeleteWhy don't irons come with an angled spout? You have to pour round a corner to fill this one, the handle being in the way.
DeleteWhat kind of iron has such a weird spout? Irons in Australia are much more straight forward. Which doesn't mean I use mine, t-shirts and track pants (sweat pants) don't need ironing.
DeleteIt doesn't have a spout, that's the trouble!
DeleteI definitely am not moving my ironing board when I move in a month. But am thinking about the iron, since I haven't used it in the 11 years that I've lived here...but maybe once. Silly things with poor design for users. Linen is nice only when ironed, so I don't have any. Love your jacket musings...you're so creative!
ReplyDeleteUnless the Iran's useful as a doorstop or burglar defense, you may as well send it with the ironing board. I use it sometimes for art purposes. Also I steam press knitted items before donating them to the project. But rarely clothes.
DeleteI can't remember the last time I ironed anything - years ago. I like the look and feel of ironed linen, but not enough to buy any.
ReplyDeleteAt a couple of dollars each from the thriftie, I'm okay with my jackets, upcycled shirts. Probably donated by people who couldn't face ironing them.
DeleteDefinitely add pockets to that top. The weaving looks good.
ReplyDeleteYes, on the pockets. Now I'm wondering whether inside, out of sight, or outside and visible. Decisions, decisions.
DeleteI actually think that jacket looks quite nice!
ReplyDeleteThank you. It's going to work.
DeleteI have a lovely plastic water pourer thing made for refilling the iron's reservoir and I stole it! I bought an iron and this little item came with it. I didn't like the iron. I can't remember why. Anyway, when I returned it, I KEPT the water pourer. I figured they weren't going to be putting that iron back on the shelf anyway after it had been used. I always feel a little guilty and a little bit of a thrill when I use that thing. That's one of the only things I've ever stolen as far as I know.
ReplyDeleteI would say outside pockets on the jacket. Make them decorative!
So this adds a bit of illicit spice to your ironing. I wonder if I can steal a pourer, hm.
DeleteI iron nearly daily (for quilting), and a narrow little pitcher came into my pitcher via the same exact type of heist as Ms. Moon!
DeleteWhat is this, a den of petty thieves? You must give me tips
DeleteI use my iron all the time (pretty much every day) but never to iron clothing. I simply don't buy clothes that will need it so obviously no linen in my wardrobe.
ReplyDeleteA quilters speaks! In case anyone wondered what the heck you were ironing.
DeleteGood idea on the jacket!
ReplyDeleteThank you. I have a few go-tos. Most things can be fixed by square breathing, or aspirin, or pachysandra or making it into a jacket.
DeleteI have a row of shirts that need ironing on a rack by my washer . . .
ReplyDeleteDon't look at me!
DeleteI set ironing aside until I have several items to iron. Then I listen to a book and get to it. The shirt makes a great jacket. If you decide you don't want to keep it someone will want it. I'm surprised the supreme leader hasn't banned Juneteenth.
ReplyDeleteI think the jacket will have a home somewhere! I have several items to iron. But I'm taking it one item/day at a time..
DeleteI love the cut-open linen! I need a resident ironer.
ReplyDeleteI do, too, or an ironing robot that wouldn't run amok.
DeleteThat's going to be a nice jacket! With or without embellishment. What a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to start soon. The sash is off the loom and now I need to do the finishing.
Deleteha ha your ironing adventure sounds like a kids books we had for my younger daughter (she is now 16) that we all quote - the title is "this won't take a minute"!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds familiar! Also: but first..
DeleteI only just learnt about this holiday you have. I’m glad it’s now a public holiday
ReplyDeleteHopefully it will keep that chapter of your history alive. That way it won’t be repeated
Hopefully anyway
It's only been a public holiday for a few years. And yes, it's important to keep it alive and known.
Delete