I finally decided, in the third heatwave of the year, maybe I should retire the cosy blanket from the sofa and summerize it.
It's a large bedsheet in the inevitable sage green I seem to like. I think it's in my DNA, my Mom used to like green and cream combos in the house. No cream here, but pale yellow walls.
While I was at it I swept the floor, high time. Next week another friend is coming over to pick a piece of art, so I just thought I would. I'd hate her to shudder and run at the sight of the crumbs everywhere.
And there was shadow art this morning from the split leaf philodendron. Isn't that a great design idea?
This plant is a house guest, living here temporarily to shelter from the turmoil of furniture moving next door, and due to move to her new home soon.
She's doing okay with minimal care. I don't do a lot with houseplants, and they seem to manage. I'm wondering if Gary will also collect other plants he stuck in my house when he ran out of room in his own.
I will be fine if he does, since I'm in labor saving mode these days. He likes big dramatic plants which I find a bit too much of a good thing. I really prefer starting from cuttings and seed, rather than let the plant nursery have all the fun.
I'm thinking what to weave, which loom to weave it on, what yarn to use. I need contrasts because clasped weft likes contrast. And I need to review how to do cw first. I always forget the path the weft has to take.
My vaxxed arm is almost back in action and I'm getting back up to speed. Pretty much as planned, in fact. So all's well.
Happy day everyone, wait till your arm gives you the signal! Esmeralda Fluffageddon approves this message.






Yes, our house is very green too. Peaceful and calming I think.
ReplyDeleteLove the shadow too.
We certainly need a peaceful environment, considering the State of the World.
DeleteI guess that means I’m not allowed to comment. At least 10 degrees hotter here than there. But it’s a beautiful day! I’m like Gary. I love big dramatic plants. I would hate to give up that split leaf philodendron and the beautiful shadows it makes. We had an absolutely incredible one in Santa Barbara. Nothing here yet, but our orchid and Christmas cactus. We plan to head to the garden center in July. I, too, love sage green. We don’t even have a hint of it in this apartment (yet).
ReplyDeleteI just looked you up -- 90+ f, 29% humidity. Here it's similar temp, but with 50% humidity. So, a bit different. Yesterday 70% humidity. Ew!
DeleteI'll be glad to repatriate the philo, way too big for the available space, constantly in the way. It's beautiful, but like entertaining the Hulk. This may relate to your and my relative sizes. At 5'2" standing tall, this plant is practically hitting my shoulder when I try to get into the cabinet next to it!
I've been wondering when you were going to get your houseplants. I think you have more room than here, at least more available space with good light.
Lovely shadows of Philly. And the sofa does look quite cool and inviting. Nope, our air is totally hot muggy from late morning till evening, then cool muggy all night. I open the windows for a couple of hours in the mornings, then shut everything up, just like my southern ancestors used to do, only they also closed curtains against the heat. I still need to see the green outside. I can't imagine the 19th century women with petticoats and no air conditioning (or even electricity for fans) all summer in places in Tennessee and North Carolina, Florida, Louisiana and Texas.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't bear thinking of. I think of Englishwomen in India during the Raj, usually with social obligations requiring formal western dress in tropical conditions. And missionary wives in various hot countries. That's one life I don't envy.
DeleteThanks for the dinner suggestion for hot weather. I made chicken salad and we had it with lettuce from the garden, brie cheese, crackers and peaches.
ReplyDeleteThat all sounds excellent, especially the brie.
DeleteI do indeed love the shadow art. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteAnd sage is one of my favorite colors, truthfully. Not to wear, but to have around me. It reminds me of a type of lichen that grows here.
I need to sweep too. It's getting ridiculous. And I need to dust. That's not getting ridiculous, it IS ridiculous.
No medium weather here. I am describing it as brutal. Throw in the mosquitoes and the most gnats I've ever seen and it's fairly miserable.
It's really oppressive here, now heat index of 99, down a bit from earlier. There are thunderstorms forecast, so the humidity is hiiiiiigh.
DeleteAC + ceiling fan is keeping my cool today, I kinda dread the night though.
ReplyDeleteI use AC and fans, too, just to feel air moving.
DeleteHow to make your house look big - move all the plants out. Warning - it might also look Spartan.
ReplyDeleteI have three or four big plants from Gary and would welcome their departure. I have plenty of my own!
DeleteIt is unseasonably warm here for winter, with today's forecast of 19/66.
ReplyDeleteI think the weather everywhere seems to be all wrong!
DeleteYour 'shadow art' is a wonderful noticing. Good eye! Glad your arm is back to normal.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I love the effects of shade.
DeleteGreat collection of cushions on your summer sofa - i bet you made rhem all?
ReplyDeleteYes, they're from the Summer of English Paper Piecing. There's more, too!
DeleteSummer has finally hit Nashua, NH, as well with temps in the 90s and high humidity, rainstorms forecast for Sunday and cooler temps to follow. Shadows are always interesting and that plant has a good one.
ReplyDeleteYour weather is like here. Steamy!
DeleteAs of this moment, it's 23C (about 73F) here and quite comfortable. Sadly, the temps are expected to drop quite dramatically starting tomorrow. I hope it doesn't last and gets back to summer temps.
ReplyDeleteThat range would be nice for weeks.
Delete✋ We are having lovely moderate weather for about a week. I plan to enjoy as much of it as I can. You do get some nice shadow art.
ReplyDeleteYay, enjoy your days.
DeleteMy Mom loved green also. When we built a home in 1966, she had celery green carpet and avocado green appliances. I always think of my Mom when I see a pretty shade of green! :)
ReplyDeleteThat was pretty daring, such a pale colored carpet, but I bet it was lovely.
DeleteThere is perhaps no better plant for dramatic shadows than a split-leaf philodendron. (Or a Monstera, as I'd call it, if that's the same thing -- I'm not even sure.)
ReplyDeleteI think it's the same, or adjacent anyway. Yes, it's the drama queen of the plant world.
DeleteI love those shadows. That's so pretty -- nature's art. And so are your cheery cushions!
ReplyDeleteYes, accidental art, gone in minutes. It's so cool to catch it.
Delete