Saturday, June 20, 2026

Finishes and finches

Early morning on the deck in June 



This is a good start to the day.

I finished the kimono sash, at least finished weaving it. Now I have to decide on the actual finishing, braiding, knotting, something. It's long enough, so that's good 

And here's why I love clasped weft.

Every pick (row) presents a new decision like a brush stroke. You see this in progress. Where should the blue thread land? 

There's nothing rote about this, and for me that's where the joy is found. It's a conversation with the threads.

This afternoon I was out just sitting, reading a bit, mainly listening to the wind in the trees. When it eventually died down, birds started up. 

I heard a lovely melody and saw small birds whipping past. I thought at first goldfinches because we have a local pair. Then I noticed a pair of house finches, the male doing the singing.

So I opened YouTube to a video of housefinch song 


And we had a duet. I think the real life male may have thought there was a male intruder in his territory, so rather than upset him, I switched off.

I've done this before with recorded sounds and real birds, but only briefly, not wishing to upset their domestic arrangements. 

Please don't come at me with that bird app, I would rather observe and detect. That's the fun of it, not having an app jump in, know-it-all, and spoil the joy. Just sayin. Some people like them, I don't.

Today I baked hobnobs, which seem to be a lot like ANZAC biscuits which I usually make for the Day, in honor of my NZ and Oz blogistas 


I sampled a couple of them on the deck between bird sightings with a pot of tea.

Happy day, eat cookies, watch birds, just generally do nothing, in honor of the Summer Solstice, whenever it comes, I usually miss the solstices by a day.


I swiped this from Barbara's blog. I like how it honors the fields of grain and Ukrainian artwork.




29 comments:

  1. Your early morning on the deck with flowers and finch song - a lovely way to start the day. We started ours, very surprisingly, with rain - and even more surprisingly the rain continued into mid-afternoon. A good soaker, and much-needed. And a good day to catch up with blog friends - I'm several days behind, enjoying catching up.
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally, rain. That's been needed for a long time. We've had rain overnight, really nice, no need to water.

      Delete
  2. I love hearing birdsong, too. Sometimes, I whistle back at them but I can't whistle as well as they can (or I used to). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they recognize my reedy whistling as sound!

      Delete
  3. That bird app doesn't want to work for me unless I feed it with coin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's free to do your own research and use YouTube to confirm. Also more fun.

      Delete
  4. I love sitting and listening to the chorus of bird song in the morning. I also love listening to the sounds at the end of the day. Yes there are some birds, but usually it’s all the frogs.
    Solstice is on the 21st.
    Soon you will be staying warm and dry inside while I’ll be going out trying to keep cool while doing all I need to in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanwhile we have the whole summer and fall!

      Delete
  5. They look like Anzac biscuits but a little paler. Do you use golden syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I subbed honey because golden syrup is unobtainable here, so yes they do look paler.

      Delete
  6. Your weaving is so amazing!!! I love the bird songs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made Anzac biscuts in years, probably decades. Daughter "no-one" used to make them and take them to work, but then people started asking for more and one years she found herself making six dozen, so she gradually turned down orders for them (the people weren't paying anyway) and now doesn't make any at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have started giving out the recipe! I like them as all purpose food, just had two with coffee for breakfast.

      Delete
  8. I have a bird app I love. I have 50 varieties f sparrows and it ID's most ot them,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like my bird song ID app from Audubon because I am generally clueless and I find it pretty enlightening to discover we have birds I never knew we had. But I definitely understand your take on the situation and preference for not using it. I really like the way your community there is landscaped with both private and common areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been birding for over 50 years and know some birdsongs and some field marks, also likely flight heights, and it's interesting to observe that way. You have to know what you're seeing in order to look it up on YouTube. It's more than just finding out a species name. But to each their own.

      Delete
  10. I am a bird app fan, I must admit. The kimono sash turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apps vary wildly in accuracy, so I suppose you have an authoritative one.

      Delete
  11. Yesterday the birds were performing in a chorus. Then the afternoon had a very disgruntled crow sounding off for what seemed like forever. I love cookies, which means I rarely bake them. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there was a bird of prey in the vicinity.

      Delete
  12. Cookies look good. Love the deck. Love mornings outside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welp, I thought I commented this morning. Anyway, I love being able to identify birds simply by their song. It doesn’t happen anymore, but when SG and I were avid birders in Connecticut, we go really good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pleasing to know who's around by listening, especially when the foliage hides them. Also you learn the local birds that way. I expect it's a bit different in the city, though there are often more birds than we think at first.

      Delete
  14. I'm pretty sure there's a pair of wrens nesting in the tree just outside my window but I have yet to see them...certainly hear them though! There's also a pileated woodpecker that's somewhere in the trees by the river because I often hear it too, accompanied by young starlings yelling for food. The blue jay announces his presence bearing a peanut that he plans on planting in our balcony planters. Birds are endlessly entertaining.
    Your latest weaving turned out great - I think it's the tie for your kimono?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get plenty of bird sightings considering you're an apartment resident. I expect you'll see the baby wrens at some point yes, it's the kimono sash. I need to put in belt loops next.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!