Today's pond walk included daylilies; all those buds of yesterday are now in flower
Jewelweed in flower
Home again, and I got going on the latest band
It's moving quickly and I'm developing some skills at maintaining an even width. I'm liking this, and I'm also liking being at the narrowband loom again.
We recently had a discussion about the saying that if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.
My bandweaving is a case in point. I'm not yet very good at it, but it's worth doing. The notion that a thing's only worth doing if you can do it well is a false position. Even if your best isn't yet very good, it's still worth doing.
My hill, on which I'll die!
Happy day, making stuff. I may make another whistle lanyard similarly. I think I have another whistle.










I know that if you don't do something badly you will never learn to do it well but I still get stuck on trying things that I think I will suck at.
ReplyDeleteI prefer your attitude. I shall try and take a leaf out of the book of Boud.
It's very freeing, to say here goes nothing! I'm trying this no matter how it goes.
DeleteThe new band is looking good. I'm not a fan of lilies, the pollens give me headaches with oriental lilies being the very worst culprits.
ReplyDeleteYou'd be out of luck here -- there are many stands of day lilies.
ReplyDeleteI just found out that daylilies are not lilies, not even related to them. It's just the popular name.
DeleteI always put bouquets with lilies outdoors to escape the powerful scent that will fill the house.
ReplyDeleteI think we'd had the idea of doing things - are, creativity etc perfectly so drummed into us that we forget the learning process you have to go through. Having learned to enjoy the process rather than cursing and belittling myself for the mistakes it's much easier to enjoy things.
Day lilies aren't lilies, no scent, different plant family. But true lilies do have a scent which not everyone likes.
DeleteI agree that the process is important and allowing for our own ability level is, too.
i like your reasoning about doing - it's the only way to develop the skills and an appreciation of the aesthetic possibilities too.
ReplyDeleteSome people don't understand it's always about doing your best, but your best may never be wonderful, and it's okay.
DeleteOf course it’s worth doing. That’s how you learn and hone your skills
ReplyDeleteIt’s looking amazing
Yes, and even if you never become very proficient, you're still entitled to try!
DeleteMake room for me on that hill. I need to take those words to heart.
ReplyDeleteA lot of people are drilled with the perfection expectation!
DeleteThat band will make a great sash for your Kimono...glad to see what the colors look like now.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by how the colors worked, and I think it's okay. The grey threads are interesting -- they blur the lines a bit. I hadn't expected that, and now I know it happens, I can do it deliberately!
DeleteWhat a great walk you have, and it seems to be close by.
ReplyDeleteIt's my own development. Step out of the door, you're there. I love it in all seasons.
DeleteBTW, I agreed with you about the email that Debby mentioned. It is was exactly what I thought.
ReplyDeleteI think we've been round the block a time or two!
DeleteYou have a lovely area to walk. Your weaving gets better and better with each project.
ReplyDeleteThis is a new form of weaving for me, and I'm developing experience as I go.
DeleteThis is an excellent point. You can't learn if you if you don't make mistakes.
ReplyDeleteYes, you have to make a fool of yourself a time or two!
DeletePerfect is the enemy of good.
ReplyDeleteHow in the world do we learn and develop skills without an attitude of accepting non-perfection? "I'm no good at this. I might as well not even try."
Bah!
I've known people who wouldn't sign up for college courses unless they were sure they'd get an A. So they didn't learn much, I think. And even if you'll never be more than mediocre, so what? There's pleasure in the process.
DeleteYes! Pleasure in the process!
DeleteIf we all waited to be experts at things nothing would ever get done.
ReplyDeleteAnd we'd never qualify as experts if we're afraid of doing badly.
DeleteI agree. I encourage all our writing group to keep on. Some are very good, some less so, but it's writing, it's creativity. it's got to be good.
ReplyDeleteI was just looking at my day lilies. I can't tell what is a bud and what is a finished bloom.
The finished flower looks like a rag and it's often wet. When in doubt let them stay!
DeleteThere's the old adage that practice makes perfect and we shouldn't expect to be experts right off the bat, much as we'd like to make it so. I'm with you on that hill.
ReplyDeleteI think this hill is getting quite crowded. I notice it's all artists and makers lying around on it!
Delete