This morning I went out to mosey about the deck before it got warm, not very hot today but very humid, and picked the first little bouquet of the year.
Daisies and sage, in an antique Trenton Potteries pot, probably 1890s, and the faithful white Herendt porcelain hound.
Newer readers: every year I make little bouquets from what's growing at my house, in a very small area. It's surprising how many flowers there are.
Soon there will be zinnias which I plant as seeds for my cutting garden, posh term for three containers. I also have various wildflowers coming up in containers.
And I got out walking not wishing to miss a day before the heat comes back. It's important for my spirits to walk on grass under the trees, and my spirits have been flagging lately, one thing and another.
We'd had a lot of rain so I had to stay on the sidewalk. That worked out fine because I finally met the gardener who created a lovely small area down the street, all kinds of flowers and ideas.
Cinder blocks lining the walkway with flowers growing up from them, all kinds of interesting containers, great thought put into a tiny area.
She was sitting on the path weeding when I passed, nice very old Japanese lady, maybe with not much English because her side of the chat was smiling and nodding and making modest little hand gestures at my compliments. But that explains the meticulous care of the area year round. She knows what she's doing and does it.
Another person that's true of is Marion, multi talented YouTuber from my home territory.
Today she was at a flea market, with great old items, and she chatted with a number of stall holders. Oh, the lovely northeastern voices! It was heavenly to be among them for a while.





So nice to see the return of the wee floral bouquets! And thank you for reminding me about Marion's World. For some reason I had forgotten about her.
ReplyDeleteShe's been very active in her garden lately but there's still stitching happening. I love her post flea market discussions of what she'll make with her finds. There's a giveaway with this one.
DeleteMosey! You used the word Mosey! I love that word. Your little bouquet is lovely and I am glad you got to walk and meet the Japanese gardener.
ReplyDeleteI wonder where mosey comes from. I must track it down. It describes the action of just leisurely bumbling about here and there so well
DeleteMy first tiny bouquet happened a week ago (thanks for starting me on these a few years ago). Yours is lovely, as always. How lovely to meet the gardener at last; a common language doesn't really matter when you both speak the language of flowers.
ReplyDeleteYou're well-prepped for the coming heat, with a spirit-lifting walk today, plus food prepped and a new belt project. I'll track down Marion tomorrow - looking forward to hearing your native tongue.
Oh, Gary...!!
Chris from Boise
I don't sound anything like the stereotype, which is largely a southern accent. Remember in that Charing Cross Road movie, Anne Bancroft exclaiming "Rahzbris! Imagine a whole island saying rahzbris!" For raspberries. Except they don't!
DeleteThe little bouquet is lovely. I have no flowers in the house and few in the garden; I must see what I can find.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see the Japanese lady's garden, it sounds delightful. But it would be invading her privacy. Maybe you could sketch it?
You've had glimpses of it in this blog when I've shown local plantings, though I've never indicated exact location.
DeleteThat new weave is going to be bright - saturated.
ReplyDeleteI seem to have departed from my years of gray scale!
DeleteWonderful sounds of home. Do you still sound like that? Ha! Gary and the Virginia creeper! Glad that’s all it was. Again. Charming overhead shot of the treasures and daisies and sage. I’m about to head out for a walk before the temps approach 100 again.
ReplyDeleteI think I sound vurry amurrican but my friends don't agree. Aren't daisies and sage a good combo in an arrangement? I never did that one before.
DeleteThanks for reminding me of walking on grass. I will sometimes do that in town, wherever there's a patch between sidewalks and parking lots. Yes it's definitely worth it! Dogs know.
ReplyDeleteI think walking on uneven ground is good for the reflexes, too. It's part of fall proofing.
DeleteYou've given me an idea with the cinder blocks. We will also be too hot today and all week. Outside stuff is on hold for now. What will Gary do without you?
ReplyDeleteGary will probably text urgent pictures! I've done that cinder block idea, too, nice for small annuals.
DeleteAs always, you are busy and doing things that make the world a prettier place. I am just at the place in Traitor where Anne has been taken to the Tower.
ReplyDeleteNever a good thing, is it?
I have bemoaned about the Thomases and Williams and Marys and so forth too. Why were there so few names?
Once someone fails to show up at a meeting in those days, it was cue ominous music.
DeleteThe names weren't very imaginative, at least the ones who were in power.
I do the nice stuff as an antidote to the ever present anxiety.
I enjoyed peeking at that video of Marion. I love resale shops and sales and will have to look out for craft supplies and fabric to use in other activities. I might get back to quilting again but I will wait for the cooler months for that... ;)
ReplyDeleteThat particular fleamarket was in a field, loads of space, nice atmosphere, I used to love those, usually nice old things, no plastic tat, no new stuff.
DeleteLove the flowers tradition - we bought some flower seedlings yesterday (I had another RDO) but they didn't get into pots as there was A LOT of teenage ferrying thanks to school holidays.
ReplyDeleteLet's hope you get time to plant them soon. I love growing flowers, always surprised at what comes up in those mixes.
DeleteYour little bouquet is very sweet. It’s hard to go wrong with daisies.
ReplyDeleteYes, daisies ftw.
DeleteI liked watching the video! Marion's speech does remind me of yours, however, your delivery often involves a good bit of sarcasm! Of course, I liked the part of the video in which Dennis says that sewing machines are "ingenious machines" :)
ReplyDeleteYes, she's a gentler person than I am, reminds me of a couple of relatives. Denis was exactly like men I've known, expressions, speech everything.
Delete