Sunday, June 7, 2026

Sunday morning encounter and other good things

I was out walking early this morning, catching the cool, and met a lovely baby being carried by her grandfather. I spoke to her and she studied my face complete with sunglasses. Then she turned and looked up at the sky. 

This was a smart baby -- she'd seen the clouds reflected in my glasses and realized it was the sky!  Her grandfather was talking to her in Chinese encouraging her to say hi, I think. She gave me a tiny baby wave. Awwwww.  

Then I did some really undemanding braiding while I watched Atomic shrimp hiking down a Cornish cliff with wife Jenny and dog Eva. 

We had thunderstorms last night with downpours, and today the earth's scarcely damp, so it must have been thirsty. No need to water my seedlings today. There's a lot of small foliage down but I didn't see any trees down.

And here's the daylilies budding up ready for their midJune flowering.

Gary's magnolia is in bloom, no scent though 


On Cs suggestion I've borrowed Mona's Eyes, a kind of novelish art history book. I've hardly started yet, but the gist is a grandfather in Paris taking his young granddaughter around art museums to experience many classic artworks before she may lose her vision. 


It's a bestseller and got a terrible review in The Guardian. So terrible I think there's a personal beef there. So I'll read it and decide for myself.

Happy day everyone, let's not allow journos to make up our minds for us. On any topic. Today's column is tomorrow's fish and chip wrapping.


Every day please, every month not just 
 Pride Month 




30 comments:

  1. We had a similar night of rain and thunder but we did get out for a good walk today. I wore a heavier jacket that usually for the time of year, but it was warming up near the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was steaming hot today after the rain here.

      Delete
  2. Yes to making up our own minds, rather than believing everything "they say" by the experts...in their own words that is. CBS is now not being watched in my home! I tested myself for COVID today because I couldn't smell anything from a gardenia this morning. Negative so far. At least I can still taste things. I've never had COVID that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to check just in case. You can have a loss of smell from other viruses, and some medications.
      I don't have a TV so I already don't watch anything on it

      Delete
  3. I'm always interested in what exactly infants know, so appreciate your story about the baby and the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they notice a lot more than we realize. I have a story about my son I'll blog.

      Delete
  4. I used to hear that saying constantly when I was young. It so much now. That plain white paper has ruined it all.
    When the rains finally came our ground did the same. It’s only now they’re a tad wet. We have been warned of having drought conditions in the coming summer.
    Thank goodness we have our giant water tank and I’ll still be able to grow food
    I never listen to reviews by the “ experts” anymore. Obviously their tastes and mine at total opposite. I read and make my own mind up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most reporting isn't on paper either, but I still like the fish and chip reminder.
      Sometimes there's a squabble going on in the small world of print media as we get to see the results!

      Delete
  5. Smart baby! We have a huge magnolia in the grounds here and I have never had even a whiff of any scent from it. I guess we both have unscented varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose there are a few kinds even of the ones that look alike.

      Delete
  6. Films and books often seem to attract reviews that suggest the reviewer is trying to make a headline rather than a meaningful review. I've been to some very hyped movies that were totally trashy and like you prefer my own take on books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wonder if the reviewer wishes they could be the writer. Thanks for checking in, I know things are a bit fraught for you at the moment.

      Delete
  7. There are magnolias without scent?!
    Oh my Lord but that's just so wrong.
    I loved your story about the encounter with the smart baby. I love the wonder in which babies daily study their surroundings and then figure out what they are seeing, hearing, tasting, storing all this information away in those incredible brains of theirs.
    Let us know what YOU think of Mona's Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a smart baby story for you, I'll post about it. I'll tell you what I think in my own words!

      Delete
  8. Heavy downpours here, but we need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being spared watering. So rain is usually welcome.

      Delete
  9. I would so enjoy an encounter with a baby. Let us know what you think of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing babies and other kids is one reason I like my neighborhood. Yes, I'll say what I think in my own words.

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard of that book, but now I'll check out The Guardian's review because I'm curious! Don't worry, I won't take it as gospel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been getting more rain too and my plants and lawn are so happy about that!
    My middle son's children speak Chinese, too, as my DiL is from China and her mother lives with them and knows only a little English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Chinese community in our little town. Typically the grandparents know little English and the next two generations are bilingual.

      Delete
  12. I have Mona's Eyes on a list of books members of the book group recommended at the last gathering. I'm currently reading The Correspondent and I can't see all the fuss made over this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in an endless waiting list for The Correspondent. I hope it's going to be worth the wait.

      Delete
  13. Seeing those magnolias reminded me of seeing them in our former VA homestead as several neighbors had large trees. I have found that reading a book and then deciding for yourself is the best test of whether it was a good read, regardless of a reviewer's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have magnolia soulangeana more often than this variety, in fact I planted one long ago, lifetime ambition. That one has no scent either.

      Delete
  14. Pretty magnolia.
    I had an opportunity for baby chatting yesterday when a grandmother let me go in front of her in the queue (she had lots, I had three).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always seize the chance to chat with a baby, good policy.

      Delete
  15. Mona's Eyes is on my list of possibilities so I'll be interested in reading your review.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!