Thursday, June 25, 2026

Misfits, art, shrimp and treachery

Today a friend came over to pick out an artwork. A hiccup here and there with the timing, but she got here before I had to attend to the groceries.

We had a lovely visit and she went home with a stitched piece, or nue (provide your own acute accent) and stump work, butterflies and moths on a black silk ground printed with metallic copper paint.

It includes a Luna moth which has a special significance for her daughter. She'll send a picture when she hangs it.

Meanwhile I did the stitching on the fronts of the linen jacket, which I like a lot more now.



More stitching might happen. 


Then Jeff arrived with the Misfits box.








The last image is a true still life. As you know, the still life is about the short trajectory from youth to maturity to death and decay. 

Green bananas youth, ripe apples maturity, last week's overripe plums near decay.  No dead pheasants, favorite of old European painters. 

Anyway here's the week's Misfits selection. Sad news, I had splurged on a Tony's Chocolonely, and it was, sob, unavailable. 

However there's Bananaz, cans to share with the food pantry, lovely Envy apples, crisp and juicy, beautiful yellow tiny potatoes to be perfect roasted with the chicken thighs.

Yogurt and honey, desserts, raisins for snacks or maybe baking. Maybe I'll bake Garibaldis with them. It's a raisin filled pastry known to school kids as flies'  cemetery, moving along.. fair trade organic sugar supporting the good guys, mixed green salad. 

To the right, a pan of Cajun shrimp cooking, thanks to Sandra for a terrific recipe. One thing and another I didn't get rice organized, but it was a good lunch with a green salad, so it worked.  


The shrimp were small though the recipe wanted large, but you go to lunch with the shrimp you have, and this was great.

I had to make a Cajun spice mix, not hard, I had all the ingredients, and this is now a go-to for shrimp. And those chicken thighs too, I now think. 

And my reading is 



About Jane Boleyn, sister-in-law and lady-in-waiting to Anne Boleyn.  Back to the Tudor court.

Speaking of horror movies, I caught a Xerces Society online presentation about pollinators and all kinds of insects and arachnids. Those guys lead a brutal life. 


However, the society has a very undemanding approach to its members' observation practice


See the first recommendation!

And, this one's, seriously, a life and death issue, please go here and listen. 




Ash is a wonderful trans person, brilliant costume designer, historian, fearless defender of every human right, and they've just put out this compilation of videos full of knowledge, suggestions, lived experience and high value.  One thing they suggested for cis people was to spread this information, hard earned, on whatever platforms we can. On it, Ash!
 
I've followed them for years for their historical knowledge, clothes design -- made a couple of skirts based on their information -- and for their killer sense of humor. They're also kind and forbearing when people mean well and say the wrong thing. Anyway, it's long, so get a cup of tea or a piece of stitching and listen. There's stuff to see, too,but the words are vital.

Happy day everyone, full one around here, and now for tea and Gregory on the deck.




29 comments:

  1. I haven't had a garibaldi biscuit since I was a kid. Can't seem to get them in Australia (at least not by that name and the ones they do have are too thick). We used to call them squashed fly biscuits and I used to think that flies were delicious. The ignorance of youth, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t think I’d ever had one. Maybe I’ll find a recipe and make them. As long as their not too difficult

      Delete
    2. Arnotts made/make something similar, a very thin "slice" type biscuit which is quite nice, or there is the "pillow" shaped ones which have raisins (and sultanas?)

      Delete
    3. They're pretty simple to make, just pastry folded over raisins. I bet the granddaughters would like them.

      Delete
  2. Parasitic wasps are gruesomely wonderful. I'll have t track down that Xerces presentation. Thanks for the Ash recommendation - I will find two hours (maybe in spurts) to listen/learn.
    Chris from Boise
    PS - not sure I could enjoy a squashed fly biscuit...even if it's raisins :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those wasps in their turn have parasites! It's endless. I think there's a Xerces Society YouTube channel.

      Delete
  3. Spiders and Tudors; both treacherous in their way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also powerful and beautiful, there's a lot in common.

      Delete
  4. I have a whole cookbook with Cajun spices recipes, or more correctly Caribbean Jerk recipes which I think are similar it is called Island Barbecue by Dunstan Harris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, I'll check into that.

      Delete
  5. I’m an Ash admirer. The linen jacket is so casually elegant. Maybe I should try ironing my linen shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like Ash. They're brilliant. I'm wondering if I should just leave the jacket as is and not fiddle with it more. I'll wear it and find out.

      Delete
  6. Ash would fit right in at our Thanksgiving table.
    I must get my hands on that book. I went through a period of time where I listened without cease to all of Philippa Gregory's Tudor books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash is a treasure. I was glad to get a task a cis person can do.
      I love Gregory, on my Kindle, audio is too slow for my taste. Also I vary my reading speed depending on content.

      Delete
    2. I know that you can visually read while doing other tasks but I can't so the audio versions are great for me as I can listen pretty much day in and day out as I go about the tasks that mostly need hands rather than a great deal of cognitive activity. Also, as a former actor-wannabe I do enjoy a fine and talented narrator so that there is that element of it too.

      Delete
  7. Yes, the spice mix would be really good on chicken. I hasn't thought of that. I will check out Ash, in increments. You counter looks like a week of good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have a new to me spice mix, I'll try it all over. Yes, listen to and watch Ash as you can. I stitched the jacket while getting all of it, partly to honor them as a great stitcher.

      Delete
  8. I will check out the Ash video when I can. Philippa Gregory is finding a well of inspiration in the Boleyns, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tudors are an endless source. Coffee and History is a YouTube channel that's been doing quality Tudor history podcasting for about 20 years and plenty to go. She's a serious historian but does wander now and then into historical fiction writers including Gregory, not her favorite.

      Delete
  9. Glad the friend arrived because I know you were questioning her abilities somewhat. As always Misfits looks wonderful. Thank you for the reminder about Gregory novels - I know I read her many years ago so it will be nice to revisit her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a couple of prompts to get her here, but once arrived it was very nice. The arrangement was late morning, to arrive, not to start texting! She seemed to have decided any time of day would work. But I had other commitments.
      Gregory might be nice summer reading, long, leisurely plots.

      Delete
  10. what a terrific post! Sounds like all is well -- and three cheers for the Misfits -- looks like lots of good stuff in there. I adore your still life and the explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you get on with Phillipa Gregory books? I tried and failed. Powerful women in history deserve a bit more somehow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her okay, but there are better writers about the period, also YouTube channels. Heather name escapes me, from Coffee and History on YouTube is excellent on Tudor women.

      Delete
  12. I don't know if we have misfits in my area however I love the idea and always enjoy seeing the photos. Luna moths are very cool. If I am thinking the right one, then i was able to get shots of her last year or it might have even been the year before. Time goes way tooooooooo fast. Whooooosh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moths are so obliging, staying still long enough to see them and get pictures. Misfits operates in all the contiguous states, so you could probably shop there.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!