I got out walking early this morning, to get bitten in good time before the heat came on. It's high 80s, not bad but also pretty high humidity. The biting bugs enjoyed their breakfast on me.
At the pond turtles slid rapidly into the water, which looks really dirty, but they don't seem to mind, frogs either. Maybe it's something natural.
After all the rain we have fungi
Here my shoe for scale. Those are minute mushrooms.
At home the potatoes are sprouting
And the coleus, descendant of seeds I bought years ago. Gary has quite a big plant I gave him, too.
And Chris, look, the morning glory are going with no help at all from me. I just let the seeds fall at will last year.
I think I'll have multiple blooms on the hibiscus this year, but the buds are too small to show up in a picture.
And today I set up a weaving.
See the slit there. I'm pleased with this, remembered from making tapestries. I do like to have a work going, and weaving is easier on my hands than knitting. Definitely getting my loom money's worth.
This one has a longer warp, in fact it used up all the orange thread I had.
I'm also thinking about doing a bit of drawing and painting. I often get the urge in summer, the light being so good. So this enforced indoor time might be good. The bouquet is a nice model. And maybe early morning outside, despite bites. Despite Bites could be a travelogue title.
Happy day everyone, soldier on. It's an anxious time and I'm an anxious person anyway, so art is my liferaft.











Maybe the pond is muddy because of all the rain, with dirty run off water.
ReplyDeleteIt's not mud, more like blacktop runoff, but the water animals seem fine.
DeleteGo morning glories!
ReplyDeleteGood on'ya for getting our and giving those biters their breakfast. Hope you're not too itchy after your donation...
Marion has a lovely manner of speaking. I was only able to watch/listen a little today, but hope to indulge more later. I'm taking advantage of our weekend deluge to dig quackgrass out of a neighbor's border - much easier to do in moist soil than our usual rock-hard summer soil.
These are anxious times - glad you have a liferaft. Me too.
Chris from Boise
PS Love the slit-holder!
Since I've been a member of the Xerces Society I find I'm so much more tolerant and understanding of insects of all kinds, even the ones that bite me. I'm in their territory.
DeleteI don't talk exactly like Marion -- she's more like my aunts were -- but I retain that pitch and some of her cadence.
Your idea of fun -- yanking out weeds! Go you.
Your plants are doing so well 😃 I had coleus when I lived in Sydney, New South Wales, but can't seem to grown any here in Adelaide. The weaving has nice colours.
ReplyDeleteThat's odd about the coleus, I guess different climate, though I'm not knowledgeable about regions of Australia.
DeleteWonderful little plants all...I love simple beautiful coleus!
ReplyDeleteI love how undeterred it is.
DeleteThose are indeed minute, miniature mushrooms.
ReplyDeleteIt is good to find ways to push back the anxiety.
I think my ever present anxiety and PTSD actually fuel my art.
DeleteYou are not idle. I have morning glory that seeds every year from a plant I bought many years ago. I like what I'm seeing in your new weaving project.
ReplyDeleteI love plants that fend for themselves. Coleus, sedum, morning glories, daisies, all those tough guys.
DeleteI’m having so much difficulty grabbing on to what used to be my life raft, too. I love those colors! Just came down from hanging laundry on the roof. It’s over 100.
ReplyDeleteI might suggest, if you don't mind, maybe a change of materials in your art? Or a different approach? Eg collect grasses, weave a little basket, just the different hand movements can be calming. Just a thought.
DeleteGreat suggestion. I was excited to start my most recent drawing and then decided when finished I would give it to a friend... and THEN the doubts set in. Just for fun is the right direction. Thanks.
DeleteYou are getting pretty speedy at your weaving now.
ReplyDeleteI'm making more cross stitch bookmarks as the others I made have all sold at our little shop where I volunteer. Yay for me! ;)
You're doing so well with the stitching. Yes, yay you!
DeleteHot here today too and going to be even more so tomorrow if the weather report is to be believed. It rained overnight which just put the humidity level up so it's not overly comfortable at the moment. I am not, however, about to complain!! Spent far too much time on the computer and then off on a tangent trying to sort out why the RC's tv refused to offer up any sound. Think I have that issue sorted (fingers crossed!). Then I 'designed' a new landscape which I might start on tomorrow if it's not too hot.
ReplyDeleteI like the sound of a new landscape. Not so much the humidity though.
DeleteIt’s good to get out early. I was out laying mulch shortly after 6 today and done within about an hour before it heated up too much,
ReplyDeleteThat early morning time gets very valuable at this time of year.
DeleteSimple things do bring joy. I meant to add in your past post that I'd heard about how back in the day people would wake, go about things and then back to bed.
ReplyDeleteI know people who do this now, too!
Delete