Monday, June 22, 2026

Riddle, flowers and farmer's carry

I was out early this morning, watering the seedlings, now growing nicely. Gary gave me a bunch of gallon juice jugs last year, for watering. 

They work nicely, a gallon of water weighing about 8 pounds, a good weight for me to carry, one in each hand, doing a farmer's carry, great resistance exercise.  From sink to patio is a good distance for the purpose 

Later I checked the forecast which reported rain to arrive later this morning.  Too late, I'd already done the watering.

I think there are two kinds of gardeners. One kind loves to go to the nursery and buy plants to arrange in their garden or indoors That's Gary. 

The other has no interest in letting someone else have all the fun of propagating, but likes growing from seed or cuttings. They're likely to practice gardener's larceny, stealing cuttings and collecting stray seeds wherever they find them. That's me.

Both kinds have been known to rescue plants from the dumpster and give them a new life. One kind, Gary, would keep them. 

The other, me, would bring them back, maybe creating several offspring plants and, once established, give them away to eager recipients who are less familiar with plant care. 

I did get out for a walk to the pond before the rain arrived, passing neighbors busy gardening and doing inadvisable things to their patios. 

There was a team on one patio,  breaking up the concrete apron, to lay down bricks instead. I doubt if this is a good move the apron being designed  to carry rainwater away from the house wall, but they didn't ask me.

And I have a riddle for you. A walker takes a stroll past a public golf course, and finds a number of golfballs well outside the boundary and in next door's property. What day is it? Answer at the end.

There's a lone daylily in the trees.

And a natural bouquet near the pond 



It never gets old walking down here to see turtles sliding quietly off the logs and into the water while frogs leap right over them shouting, great big drama queens.

Answer to the riddle: Monday, of course.

All the duffers are out at the weekend hitting wildly all over. The other day I found three balls nestled together near the houses. Whatever that golfer's doing wrong, at least he's consistent.

During the week the retirees,  seasoned players, are out, very few balls out of bounds from them.

Happy day everyone, now you know when to score a few balls for your own frugal use. 







34 comments:

  1. Lots of buds on day lilies here. Soon they will look like the ones you captured with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so dramatic, one day buds, next an orange blur.

      Delete
  2. I wondered at your watering. I thought your neck of the woods (which is my son's neck of the woods as well) was under a severe weather warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did eventually get rain, nothing major. But the containers were dry so I didn't like to risk the,seedlings. Your son lives in central NJ?

      Delete
  3. My son bought a house a block from the golf course. My grandsons have a summer job - washing, sorting and bagging golf balls for sale at the hole by their house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golf is an expensive pastime, continually having to buy golfballs. A neighbor boy used to have a small business reselling found balls.

      Delete
  4. Jerry used to do a 4-mile walk around the golf course every morning when we lived in San Diego. He measured his walk by the number of golf balls he picked up. He never tracked for the days of the week, but I’ll bet you’re right. He tossed the golf balls in a bucket and, when it was full, he would give it to our friend’s father who golfed every day. I like a bit of your way of gardening. Jerry wants it full grown before he has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should buy shares in a golfball mfr. They'll always do well. I think some people see plants as home decor, rather than gardening.

      Delete
  5. You are the same type of gardener my mum was, always taking cuttings and getting them to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have a few containers of water with something rooting. I think today I'm going to use a leaf from my snake plant to make some cuttings for rooting.

      Delete
  6. watering before rain makes sense, then the ground is wet so that it can make total use of good rainwater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's kind of you. I feel less inept now. Yes you're quite right and that's what I planned all along. Or something.

      Delete
  7. Simple things do bring joy. Either way a person gardens is fun. I have some seeds I got last weekend that I tossed in. We'll see if too late or not. They were on super duper offer so hey, I'm gonna try. Though I've also bought discount flowers for a very good price in the past as well. Fun! Flowers you shot look great and eight pounds sounds like a good workout to me. Love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seeds may flower next year and surprise you. This is a lovely time of year, everything determined to grow.

      Delete
    2. That's true. Very good point. I'm likely for the price going to pick up a few more packets. I've had success with year-old and older than that, seeds.

      Delete
  8. I admit to being a cross between you and Gary in my way of starting plants around me. There are those rooting in water and those who've been grabbed at the grocery. I am rooting some from my Dr's office (while waiting one day I just clipped off a couple of stems!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A true gardener, swiping cuttings. What's the plant? My own doctor's office has not had live plants since covid.

      Delete
  9. There is nothing quite as satisfying to me as creating baby plants from grown-up plants. I do enjoy going to the nurseries though, and sometimes buy a plant that I love but which I never see out in the world. Then I make more plants out of those. And I have a strange aversion to taking cuttings or digging up tiny rootlings that I don't have permission for. And I wasn't even raised Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't dig anything. Just small cuttings -- it's good pruning and stray seeds.

      Delete
  10. I guessed Monday and I'm not a golfer. I did try it when I was hoping to convince the RC that we should be together (he was an avid golfer) and went so far as to buy clubs but I was dismal at it. Discovered after several years that I was using ones for the wrong hand which made quite a difference. Had kids and there ended our golfing years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are right and left handed clubs, and it's not surprising you struggled if yours were backward. I'd have thought rc would have picked up on that.

      Delete
    2. I think he just figured I was totally inept. Which wasn't far from the truth!

      Delete
  11. If only I found golf balls useful! You are definitely a plant evangelist, like Johnny Appleseed. Gary is more of a plant hoarder, as am I -- I am reluctant to give them away because I don't trust anyone else to properly care for them. Thus I wind up hanging on to them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary's a plant buyer. Then he sets them up in my house!

      Delete
  12. I'm a lazy gardener. But I do enjoy seeing things bloom. And I've gotten better at weeding this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pachysandra crowds out weeds! I have it everywhere.

      Delete
  13. I'm betwixt and between as far as gardening goes, but would never describe myself as a 'proper' gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such lush greenery. you enjoy such marked seasonal colour changes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love having four seasons. Such contrasts. I'd hate living where there's not much change and snow is an event.

      Delete
  15. With 15 pots of creeping Oregon grape "creeps" (I'll be lucky if 2 or 3 actually root), plus cuttings from a pineleaf penstemon, a beebalm and two Christmas cactus leaves all under lights, I am more and more in your gardening corner. My gardening mentor finally convinced me to just try, and by George, some plants just really, really want to grow. Now I'll try rooting anything, and am not crushed by the failures. You, Mary and Steve have also been great exemplars.
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great going. You'll never know till you try. Nature's abundant and if some die, some survive, you're in tune with her. I don't think there are any failures. Some do well, some don't. Those that don't do well become compost, food going forward.

      Delete
  16. My shasta daisy broke forth today.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!