Sunday, June 21, 2026

Repatriation has started.

Gary has started moving houseplants to the new place, yay. The bromeliad moved out this morning, the palm to follow. Meanwhile I brought down my snake plant to replace the bromeliad. 


The split leaf philodendron is to follow, also the charcoal drawing on the wall back there.

Every item that leaves is a relief. I'd like to have all the plants downstairs because I forget to water the ones in the guest room. And I don't get to see them anyway, when they're upstairs.

Outside the daylilies at my door are opening.

The kimono sash is completely finished now. I ended up with the knotted finish you see.


Note the use of the clipboard as an art tool. It's very useful as a third hand in various weaving stages. Also it works like a small drawing board when you don't need to wrangle a full size one. Mitchell probably knows this of old.

Along with the current braid on the lucet, and the linen jacket finishing, I fancy making another clasped weft weave, with half the warp threads one color, half the other. Like the eyeglass case, only a band, and the same two colors for the wefts. 

I'm also thinking about making a braid to finish the jacket fronts. Hm. After the current one on the lucet. 

I could remove the current one and come back later to it, but I think it might be wiser to finish the one I'm on. Or I might contract Second Braid Syndrome.

Or I might find fabric for the finishing and pockets of the jacket to match a skirt. I'm pretty sure I have some bits from when I made the skirts. Or maybe this is when I bust out that pink and white stripe cotton fabric, which is still waiting to be pressed.

I'm never short of ideas, as you see. There are only the ones I can be bothered to enter here, one finger typing, you remember. The brain is a busy old loom.

The hobnobs were well received by Gary and New Friend, who is now a new person in my circle too, lovely lady.  I thought they needed to keep up their strength, still packing cars and driving back and forth all weekend.

Happy day everyone, happy solstice, summer or winter, depending on where you are. 

This is as technical as I plan to get about it 





36 comments:

  1. It does feel good to clear some stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knotted finish on the kimono sash is nice. It will be a relief when all of Gary's plants are finally gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words about the sash. There's only a couple more of his plants but they're the big ones I don't like wrassling, so I'll be happy when they leave.

      Delete
  3. Yay for plant relocation! And yay that New Friend is a lovely lady, now added to your circle. I'm sure the hobnobs lifted their spirits as well as their energy. And the sash turned out very well. The twin knots are an excellent finishing touch.

    I LOVE imagining how your brain works.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary has lovely taste in women. I have become friends with several wives and girlfriends, it's all very civilized.
      I think my brain is more like a furnace than a loom at times!
      I'm enjoying figuring out finishes for bands. There's not a lot of attention paid to finishing as a process, more like practical ideas to avoid unraveling, but I think it merits thinking about.

      Delete
  4. Such a choice of things to do!! Your braid weaving is going well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a banquet of possibilities there!

      Delete
  5. It must be so satisfying and freeing to have rid of Gary’s plants. So much more room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the glass table. And the giant package in the outdoor storage.. He only owns the big (clumsy) plants, that I think belong in a hotel lobby.. Me, I'm happy with my tiny succulents. Not that I have strong feelings or anything.

      Delete
  6. Very clever use of the clip board. I'm going to remember that! Potted plants definitely need to be enjoyed. I'd love to have them all over our house but our windows don't get enough sun. You have a lot of lovely light at your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reducing my plant collection, donated several big ones to the local library. The care and water carrying are a bit more than I want at this point.

      Delete
  7. I wonder if Gary will accidentally leave something behind with you, a sort of subconscious leaving of a tiny bit of himself.
    You won't let him get away with that though, will you?
    I bet the snake plant is so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other items he won't take! As long as the big stuff goes, it's fine. The snake plant is the second generation. The first, one I grew from a cutting from a plant owned by my future neighbor years ago, now lives in the library. I'm ready to start a new one from this, just need to find a pot. What I like is seeding and propagating, not buying adult plants and doing maintenance.

      Delete
  8. I was going to ask if you make a list of all your project ideas but then I realized that your posts are your lists!! ;)
    Amazing how Gary already has a new friend to help him out now that he's moved away from your help. He sounds very sociable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lists grow and change so much in my mind I don't write them down, just let them float and change! The new lady has been in his life for a while. She's a romantic relationship, not a friend as I am. I'm glad to know her, such a talented person as well as nice.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like the final stage of moving when the plants start to go. I like how you finished the sash. I know there is never a dull moment in your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're already moving clothes, too, definitely getting the other home set up. I hope his new neighbors are nice.
      NADM is true of my thinking! So much to consider, so many choices, decisions, decisions!

      Delete
  10. I can appreciate what a relief it must be to have fewer plants! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainly fewer big plants. I find the big ones overwhelming, and my hand strength isn't up to wrangling and pruning these days. And carrying water.

      Delete
  11. I've been moving plants too today but just out to the porch. It's amazing how many of my houseplants are toxic for cats. We have a cat coming with two granddaughters on Wednesday. They all will stay until the movers deliver to their new house in MD suburb of DC. Daughter and son in law will be here too but leave earlier for settlement and meet up with movers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of houseplants are toxic to cats, and depending on whether cats eat them, you're better off being safe. Very often toxic means no more than irritating. My cat Duncan tried a lot of plants and if they stung his mouth or made him itch, he never tried again. He ended up dying of old age after an exciting life.

      Delete
  12. Just deciding on how to prepare a new garden here for gooseberry bushes given to me at the start of June. Talking of propagation - the two bushes became 7! And there are 2 blueberries to share the space too. We had a winter bbq for solstice not exactly the sort of weather you are enjoying. Second braid syndrome sounds dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gooseberries! I love them. They're illegal to grow in NJ because they carry white pine blister rust, and white pine is an important ag product. I did have one once, planted by a previous owner, probably before the ruling.

      Delete
  13. That's how I am with plants -- out of sight, out of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's the sudden remembering, and guilt! I'm a baaaaad plant parent, etc.

      Delete
  14. Can I ask how old your snake plant is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know, maybe ten or more years.

      Delete
  15. Glad that Gary has started removing his plants so you have space for your own. You have such a green thumb with plants and how I wish I could send you my hoya that, after years of doing great, has decided to turn sickly. I have tried all sorts of 'fixes' but nothing is working so I suspect the poor thing is dying the good death. I can't keep an aloe plant alive to save my soul (after years of good success) and pretty much every other plant I have has curled up and died. I spent an exhorbitant amount on a new bunch of plants, only to watch them die one by one. No more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your available light is a bit low. The hoya may simply have run its course.

      Delete
    2. There's only one choice for light here - all our windows face east. I used to be able to grow African violets at the previous house and supplied lots of people with plants. Now they take one look at the eastern exposure and curl up and die.

      Delete
    3. My living room, the one you see in my pictures, is east facing, and the plants do okay.

      Delete
  16. I think that’s exactly our problem. We have too many ideas.
    I was thinking of your suggestion for the red vest. Maybe I’ll crochet a panel down each side and just get rid of the buttons. It might be more baby friendly that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was Tiggers Mom with the side panel idea. It's a good one.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!