Monday, June 1, 2026

Band weaving what else, and comic relief

I woke this morning thinking it's June, so white rabbits, and I get to thread a heddle, wheee. Takes all sorts.

And I did thread the heddle. But first I had to measure and count heddle sizes. They don't come marked with the ends per inch, EPI, nor the number of threads they'll hold.

So I finally got them all out and measured and counted and marked. This will save a lot of fumbling and cursing. I already know the frame loom sizing, but the others tend to get forgotten.

Then I picked the heddle that would work best, threaded it and mounted it on the narrow loom.


Then I studied the krokbragd pattern and made notes. Then I worked a bit of the band. Then I realized I didn't understand the color sequence. That's a whole other thing to keep in mind while navigating the three weaving sequences. Then I unwove.

Then I made more notes.  

Then I realized I need to know the line total for the pattern repeat, so made more calculations and notes 

And I'm about here.

There's such a pleasure in translating the physical weaving into ways I can understand and do it. The process is engrossing.  I don't worry so much about the product.

Then, as I was walking home,  beautiful day for walking and I'm so happy I can walk without pain, though a bit more wobbly than I used to be, I saw Gary's friend running down the path from my house. 

She came dashing at me and said, I ran into your house, wrong house! We all screamed laughing because this has happened so many times, neighbors, relatives, total strangers. So many people have parked,  then marched unerringly up the wrong path and burst into my house.

I've had quite a few encounters, reading or knitting peacefully on the sofa and suddenly there's someone in front of me clearly wondering what I'm doing here? Why is the house all different? Who are you anyway?

It's hard to get lonely when people keep showing up in the living room. Who says you have to get out to meet people? I can do it without moving.

They're all nice, quite flustered at the mistake and not sure how to handle my "Can I help you?"

Then V. and Gary left for a week in Florida. Another relative, soon to be the next door tenant, is holding the fort.  That will be peaceful.

Then later an unboxing 

My clamps to hold the frame loom, costing more than the loom, but useful for many purposes. The qr code takes you to a place to download printable labels. I don't have any need, but I don't see why you can't try it.

I was about to recycle the box when I realized it's very nice corrugated cardboard, useful to make little looms and other fancy stuff. 

The Woolery loves me -- they've sold me heddles, the lucet and now these clamps. I like the way they work and their well designed website. This matters.

Lovely day everyone! I hope you're blessed with comic neighbors, they're the best.

Next best is an Ayelet Waldman


I love her engaging, miss nothing writing, and this novel stretches over years in a Maine community with Manhattan and Oxford and Europe and Cambodia thrown in. Sorrow, parties, drama, fights of all kinds, talent and the lack of it, Maine steadfastness, it's a lot.

I do all the things so you don't have to!



Pride Month!


I'll reclaim this and clean it up if it's the last thing I do.



23 comments:

  1. I do the same. I write down any pattern directions I don’t understand
    And put it into words that help me.
    Yes. It is a long process but it gets the mind ready. And it saves lots of time later.
    I glad your pop ins are all nice people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the entry into understanding. YouTube experts make it look easy, with the help of editing. The popins up to now have been very good humored about it.

      Delete
  2. I am NOT blessed with comic neighbours but I am used to it now. Translating the physical weaving etc would drive me crazy! I thought of going for a walk today, had my hat and jacket on, opened the door and down came the rain. I made a cup of coffee instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your change of plan was pretty good. I think puzzling over fiberart designs isn't for everyone.

      Delete
  3. An easy-to-use website is worth its weight in gold. More people will order from it and return and recommend it. 'Make it easy on your customer!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, some of the best food producers like a couple of flour sources, have put little effort into their websites and it shows. I think they're more interested in wholesaling than the small retail sales. Then they bombard me with sales emails, why, why?

      Delete
  4. Threadaheddle. I love the sound. I might continue saying it for a while. I have to threadaheddle. I hate to meddle but it’s time to threadaheddle. You should get a medal for how you threadaheddle (you should gedamedal for how you threadaheddle). You should always have the kettle on (oh dear god, keddle) for all your unexpected guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're gedding a bit carried away!

      Delete
    2. Oh, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. I once went on a jag about the Doody family of Branford, Connecticut until Jerry told me he was going to stop the car and make me walk home.

      Delete
  5. I once walked into the wrong house when I was visiting inlaws and walking their dog. I realized my error when I went to hang up the dog dash on the coat rack that wasn’t there, and the lady came out saying hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I haven't had a strange dog come in!

      Delete
  6. That all sounds incredibly complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it ever initially scare you to find a stranger standing in your living room? I don't think I would react very calmly.
    Keep weaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a scary person appear. They've mostly been relatives of neighbors, or Indian ladies scared to find themselves in a western house with a white lady looking at them a bit puzzled.

      Delete
  8. One of the reasons I don't knit or crochet from patterns, the only reason really, is that I have a hard time with written instructions. Sewing is the same for me, I'm not stupid but I struggle to translate words into actions. I am trying to keep better notes for quilting, size of the squares and the number needed, but it's all hit or miss with me.
    I always lock my doors. I lived in a large city, Edmonton, for years and just feel safer with a locked door. Now I have two large dogs which bark whenever anyone comes to the door. The dogs are gentle beasts, but strangers don't know that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't use charts for knitting and crochet for years until it dawned on me they're literal representation. I was always looking for more complications!
      Back when I lived in a city I'd keep my door locked. Here, not so much.

      Delete
  9. I would be nervous if someone just walked into my home.
    Glad you are making the weaving work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my response to Mary Moon above for why I'm not nervous!

      Delete
  10. Oh the fun you could have when someone appears in your house with no warning - telling them they'd time traveled comes to mind. Having said that, I very nearly did the same thing on the weekend when I was heading to a 90th birthday drop in - almost went into the house next door. Good thing I realized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easily done. I've even absentmindedly gone up next door's path myself.

      Delete
  11. Well, now I know I'll need to read Ayelet Waldman because this is the 2nd time her name has come up today! At our old home, I had someone walk in the front door, and it was not a funny experience. The stranger was a women who was absolutely certain that I was in the wrong place, and the home belonged to her friend. It really took some convincing to get her to leave! After that, I did start locking the front door because I was pretty unnerved by the incident. I'm glad all of yours have been more toward silly mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be scary, yes. All my encounters have been with people who themselves were unnerved.
      I've read several Waldman novels and like her. She'd certainly worth a try.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!