The mail yesterday brought my voting receipt with peel off sticker
And the Xerces Society stickers
I'm doing my best for the pollinators.
And here's what's happening on the patio
Most of the pots now have seedlings, the zinnias the biggest, the wildflowers microscopic. The peppermint has kept the squirrels away and the seeds are undisturbed.
The bottom picture is for you, Chris -- I poked about and found the morning glories have self seeded from last year. I'd just let the seeds fall as they wanted and here they come. This is the first time ever they've done that. Always they've grown one year, rarely even blossomed, so no seeds to fall. This year your flowers are doing as you promised. Yay.
Then after this early morning wander about the deck, I made coffee and finished the weaving on the repaired loom.
It's now a rug under my water glass on the coffee table, with room for the pill I take three times a day.
This was mainly a proof of concept piece, to be sure the loom was in working order. Now I'm going to create a narrow band weaving on the other loom, with the same krokbragd motifs, which will work better smaller and tighter. At least that's the plan.
And here's the band design coming up after that, courtesy of poet Padraig O'Tuama who took the picture.
This is looking like a tapestry to come.He's a brilliant poet and nice man, very thoughtful and maybe what I make might end up with him. We'll see.
Here's some of his recent thinking
Make all the things, grow all the things, greet all the passersby..













Yay indeed!
ReplyDeleteCatching up after a few swamped days - will look back to see how the loom repair went. The results look promising.
How true about hanging onto problems. I've never thought about it before, but it perfectly explains why a friend of mine is so totally stuck in her difficult life. Thank you, William Cooper and Padraig O'Tuama for the enlightenment.
Chris from Boise
About problem keeping -- I think we can start to see our identity that way and it's threatening to consider life without the problem.
DeleteThe loom situation seems fine now. I cancelled the return.
You get a voting receipt where you live? I have to call to make sure my mail-in ballot arrived.
ReplyDeleteMy county is on top of things. I already knew from the online tracker, but the card is Proof!
DeleteLovely colours in your weaving... really folksy.
ReplyDeleteSo different from my usual more polite range, and cheerful.
DeleteThe lobby tiles are very nice, and a weaving to copy the pattern is certainly something worth doing.
ReplyDeleteIt's probably quite old work and is really a two line repeat, which looks more complex. I like it a lot.
DeleteIt’s early here, not quite yet 6. For some reason I am thinking that the forget-me-nots have come and are already on their way out. Dad’s flowers, and I haven’t posted about them this year. Maybe next year. I think they are too spent to bother with now. Of course, they have been blowing in the spring winds every time that I have thought about them. This has little to do with your post, except that is where your garden photos took my brain.
ReplyDeleteThat's a nice tangent. I'm glad my post triggered the thinking.
DeleteI heard the phrase "self-sabotage" when studying counseling techniques. Oh yes, I have certainly experienced the comfort of the "pain I'm used to vs. the unknown pains." So glad to see your seeds are germinating. My potted mint didn't make it through the last winter, and a squirrel has been using the soil as a place to dig. I tried throwing some wildflower seeds (old) into it, but so far nothing is happening.
ReplyDeleteI've seen that self sabotage at work when people have asked me for advice then proceeded to "prove" me wrong!
DeleteI'm pleased the squirrels are avoiding the peppermint scented pots. I've been throwing the daily apple core over the fence to encourage them to stay away.
It's too easy to become absorbed in one's problems. Better to look outside oneself and see how others fare.
ReplyDeleteThey tend to crowd in, and need to be addressed, but that takes energy!
DeleteWhat Padraig wrote about change, about conflict, is very true I think. Who are we if we nothing to fight against? What do we do with that energy? Look inward? Is that why so many of us are fighting outward, to avoid looking inward? Or is this just a natural progression in life? Thanks for giving me something to think about this morning:)
ReplyDeleteIt's an interesting thing to think about, for me, too. I'm sure I hang on to grievances as part of my identity -- see how brave I am to overcome that injustice, etc.
DeleteWe sometimes get comfortable in our pain, I think, for many reasons, a lot of them coming from childhood. And speaking personally, the idea of escaping that pain, or eliminating the source of it, is frightening because the result could be far worse, believing that there will always be pain of one sort or another. I didn't make much sense of that but perhaps you can grasp my meaning.
ReplyDeleteWe are afraid to trust happiness.
I do get the gist. And I think you're spot on. Preferring the devil you know over the devil you don't know!
DeleteThank you for voting! And good work on all of the weaving! Keeping you busy! ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's such a gift to be able to vote without fear. I remember what our Black sisters and brothers are still going through just to vote.
DeleteYour seeds are looking good. I just worry about upcoming voting -- not the primaries so much, but the midterms.
ReplyDeleteGood work encouraging butterflies. I counted 5 milkweed plants here this year. They are new plants. None of last year’s milkweed are showing up.
ReplyDeleteMorning glories, mine have been reseeding since about 2005. Surreal it has been 20 years out of a mixed wildflower seed packet.
I said my White Rabbits today. 😎
May
In the last few years the available seed has been the Heavenly Blue, which I love, but almost zero germination. These are from seeds Chris sent me, purple and I'm very enthusiastic about them.
DeleteGlad you observed the new month correctly.
My morning glories are also purple.
DeleteThe design in those lobby tiles would make a great cross stitch pattern too. I can see a narrow portion of it as a band on a sampler.
ReplyDeleteWhy not get a screenshot? You might use it in a landscape if you want an interesting pathway or flooring.
Delete