The weather has cheered up, warm and sunny, mid 80s f, lovely gardening weather. Which is what I planned to do since most of the knitters were seizing the day likewise instead of knitting at the group.
Here's how things were on the deck while I drank tea and considered my planting. Including a chipmunk who had planned on coming over to dig, then saw me and froze to the wall, until finally he gave up and left.
Then I thought I'd do a bit of weaving while I waited for more shade on the deck for me to work in .
Then, hellfire, disaster struck my new little loom. The back member, that part the warp is rolled on, suddenly cracked, rendering it inoperable. Evidently the tension was too great. My own was a bit high at that point, too.
So, unable to continue, I unwound the work and here it is
I need to do some finishing work on it and see if it's useful for the knitting ministry or not. It's pretty nice but now it's abbreviated, may be more of an accessory than a useful item. So I'll stitch the end, trim the fringe, and soak then dry it. Then I'll decide.
I first thought of returning the loom for a refund, even went through the process, all the way to the qr code, but had second thoughts. I have weeks before I need act on it and meanwhile if I get wood glue I can probably repair that crack.
Mainly I don't want to part with the bar heddle that attracted me to start with, and you have to return all the parts for a refund. I could get an entire replacement but I think I might have the same issue again.
So, there's wood glue on my shopping list. And if that doesn't work I have other ideas.
Meanwhile I can work at the band loom, never any lack of things to do. Also I need to finish those socks, then the second glove, then I have a parcel for the Sock 'n glove 'n whistle Ministry.
Finally I guess I'll get to gardening. Maybe tomorrow, and plant out the cotton as well as the flower seeds. I'll see if any seeds need to be soaked overnight, too
Then there was Textiles and Tea. Today's presenter was Beth Ross Johnson, a weaver and stitcher in ikat, that's painted threads, also the white running stitch called sashiko. And, get this, weaving based on sashiko stitched designs. Take a look
Here's her kitty holding open the page of pattern notes from her upcoming book
It's a great combo of stitching and weaving, very appealing.
She's based in Black Mountain and was flooded out by Helene, out of her studio for months, amazed to find World Central kitchen operating in her own neighborhood. She's been through a bit.
So that's where we are just now. For better or worse.



















Sue intends for us to get into the dirt tomorrow — preparing containers for planting a bit later.
ReplyDeleteYou don't sound quite so eager.
DeleteI imagine you'll have that piece of wood fixed in no time, but so irritating when it's brand new and you're trying to do something. Hells bells:)
ReplyDeleteWhat you did weave turned out beautifully.
My garden is slowly waking up, ferns, pasqueflowers, leopard's bane, and fritillaria are looking pretty.
I'm hoping about the fix. Your garden sounds lovely. Will there be pictures?
DeleteWell gosh darn it - I hope the wood glue (when you get your hands on some) does the trick. Is it just not made for real work, or faulty design of just the one part?
ReplyDeleteAt least you had a beautiful day for the patio, and a fascinating T&T.
Chris from Boise
It's a cheap design, with cheap wood. I'm still considering whether to return it, not fix it, and get a better quality one from another maker. I was avoiding the higher price, but it wasn't a good idea. However I do have proof of concept that you can weave a long warp on it.
DeleteOh how disappointing. Is the scarf long enough to go around you neck? Can you add a button and make it a neck warmer rather than a scarf?
ReplyDeleteWhat you have done looks lovely, it’s a shame you had to stop short
It was intended as a cowl, and I have to check if it's long enough. I think it is. But I have another idea anyway.
DeleteThat’s the pits about the loom. They don’t make ‘em like they used to.
ReplyDeleteTrue. The weaver I got the idea from has been using her similar cheap loom for about 15 years!
DeleteWhat a nuisance, when everything was going so swimmingly.
ReplyDeletePretty much what I said only more colorfully.
DeleteI was thrilled to hear that Johnson lived here in Black Mountain. So I looked her up. Yes we both shared the aftermath of the storm Helene here. I'm glad her studio didn't get any more damage than she showed (on her site.) What a talent! She does beautiful work. Thanks for letting me know about her.
ReplyDeleteI made that point for the benefit of people who know Black Mountain. I wondered if you knew her, not knowing how big the population is, and whether that's likely.
DeleteWell, that is not what you expected. If the wood is cheap I'm not sure glue will be of much use. It's too hot today to work outside.
ReplyDeleteI'm doing the repair today so we'll see. Today here is 70s, damp, good for planting when I get home.
DeleteWell, hell. A brand new loom should not go breaking, either itself or your heart. But what you did get finished really is nice.
ReplyDeleteFunny how often Black Mountain seems to come up in different contexts in so many different places. I'm sure I just notice that because of the family connection via Vergil but still. It's become a part of our reality for sure. Beautiful place which seems to attract the most interesting and talented people. Like Beth Ross Johnson.
Have fun gardening if you get to it!
I have ideas about how I might still finish that piece, not on the Broke Loom. Black Mountain has featured in my life for a long time, ever since my first art mentor, Maggi Johnson who studied there. It's long been a magnet for talent.
DeleteOh, too bad about the loom breaking already! After you glue it, can you wrap it tight to make it sturdy? Maybe wrap the other side too so it doesn't crack?
ReplyDeleteYou were doing such a great job with it!
I have to figure out how best to fix it. It still needs to turn at will, so it's tricky but no doubt I'll give you a blow by blow!
DeleteWell, that's disappointing about the loom! I admire your attempt to repair it. I hope it works.
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of ideas if it doesn't. Nil desperandum.
DeleteGood luck with your repair effort. By repairing it does it void the return possibility?
ReplyDeleteYes, very likely no return will happen. But I'll still have the heddle bar. Buying that as a separate item is more than the cost of the loom. I wonder if they knew the bar was the main attraction and cheaped out on the wood.
DeleteHow disappointing that the piece cracked - like others have said, they sure don't make things like they used to.
ReplyDeleteFun to see the weaver using sashiko as inspiration. I wimped out on doing any on my current project - my hands are unhappy enough without adding more stress.
Too bad you had to pass on the sashiko.
Delete