Friday, May 15, 2026

New band striking up, and cotton

I'm about to weave the band I originally had in mind when I thought about this whole bandweaving idea. I now have more knowledge and skills and I'm hopeful. 


Sorting the warp threads after deciding on colors 

The heddle threaded and ready to mount on the loom.  This design is a Sami traditional one. You'll see.

These bands aren't exactly for anything other than the experience of making them, and if they develop a use that's fine, but it's not a goal. They can just be. 

I'm studying the great fiberartist Anni Albers just now. I was able to get her classic book on hoopla, and it's brilliant.

She talks about the intersection of art and engineering in textile arts, and how we're lacking in opportunities to experience texture, in a predigested world full of images and readymades. 

She taught at Black Mountain College, in the 1940s, as a Bauhaus proponent, after she was obliged to escape the Nazi regime in Germany, along with her husband. What a powerhouse she was in art.








She experimented with weave structures, unusual materials and had great respect for the ancient textile artists of Peru and other civilizations. 

Originally a painter, she was forced into the fiberarts by the sexism of the contemporary painting world, denying her opportunity, and her own physical disability limiting her movement, and she triumphed. The fiberarts world gained a genius. 

Meanwhile, speaking of fiber, my cotton plants are doing well, soon to go outside, a couple promised to another gardener. 

She grew cotton last year and I got the cotton bolls from her, but the seeds I harvested are doing better than hers this year,so I'm giving back.

Happy day everyone, grow all the things or get them from your friends.




34 comments:

  1. I do love the colors on your new band. Ohhh cotton plant, very cool. Many decades ago my Nan lived by cotton fields. My siblings and I would go in and pick cotton. Ohhhh... not a fun thing at all. But we were kids. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton fights back, very sharp to handle. I understood more after I experienced just a bit of handling it. It's a cruel plant.

      Delete
  2. The colors on your new band look so bright and cheerful.
    And wow, that cotton plant is really neat! 🌱
    It’s wonderful that you’re growing fiber right alongside your weaving projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occurred to me that growing fiber was oddly congruent with working it. Cotton is an exciting plant to grow from seed.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen cotton growing, so I look forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your energy and enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful spring colors. I have never attempted weaving except pot holders.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are clear and I'm ready for them. There's a lot to learn in weaving even this comparatively simple approach, a whole language as well as skills.

      Delete
  6. I am excited to see what the new band weave looks like. I had to speed past the black and white dizzying patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're not for everyone. Maybe I should post an alert. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Another terrible pun lobbed over the border!

      Delete
  8. Anni Albers sounds like a fascinating artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a force of nature, and lived to 95, so we had her a long time.

      Delete
  9. So glad you're inspired by Anni Albers. My brain can't deal with the patterns that are shown in her book, they take me directly toward migraines. But up close looking at a real piece of fiber design works ok. I look forward to seeing what your next creation might be! It's thrilling to observe new ideas based upon old ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some patterns are difficult. I'm guessing you're not a fan of Vasarely!

      Delete
  10. Your cotton plants do indeed look very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The summer camp that August and Levon are going to this summer (and that Jessie will be a camp nurse for) occupies the buildings of the old Black Mountain College. And it was also the setting for Jessie and Vergil's wedding. Just a beautiful place with such fascinating history.
    Your cotton plants look quite hearty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing history that building has. All those uses!

      Delete
  12. The RC just announced he'd planted some lettuce (seeds) and yesterday he transplanted his tomatoes outside. Not sure but what he's rushing it a bit with the cold temps we've been having, but it's up to him.
    The colours in your new band look wonderful together - I know the look will change as you weave, but for now it looks really promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did borrow some color ideas from the traditional choices, except the pattern threads, bright red in the original, more a goldy rust in mine. But I plan on a yellow weft, as in the original.
      RC might be rushing the season out of impatience to get going finally. Can't blame him.

      Delete
  13. You are making nice progress with your weaving. It will be interesting to see where it will take you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will. Right now it's all about just doing it.

      Delete
  14. You are certainly an inspiration. You never stop learning and doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to learn, you can't run out!

      Delete
  15. I never thought of growing Cotton. I'm not sure if we have enough light in our courtyard, but I'll gauge it for next year. It would be fun to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to see the creation once it finished
    What an amazing woman. If the men lower the glass ceiling, take a detour and become your brilliant best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was undeterred. And we don't even know the names of the men who tried to block her. Her fame eclipsed them

      Delete
  17. New band striking up? Ha, I had to read that 2x to get it!

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!