Saturday, May 2, 2026

The Worker, and Player

Today I definitely worked, despite a tired back -- knitting irritates the sciatic area -- anyway I stripped and made my bed. Then laundered and put away the bed clothes. 

Then  I carried a heavy plant downstairs and hung it outside. Carrying it on the stairs was a slow careful descent. This left a trail of dead foliage across the guest room, along the hallway, down the stairs and across the living room and deck.  This entailed laborious sweeping since I can't wrangle the vacuum cleaner from floor to floor. 

I attended the May Day rally online, great speakers, and keep-going encouragement. 

And I took the best walk, including a visit with a gardening neighbor and Dobby the dog who didn't bark at me, I'm her friend now. We chatted about medicinal herbs, and I admired her rue and sage and lavender. She lost a lot of plants over the bitter winter weather. 

On to the pond, stopping only to pick up and fling golf balls back onto the course. 

There were squadrons of turtles sunbathing by the water, squint, you'll see them. A solitary drake took off as I arrived.  Flying ducks look like windup toys, jerky flight.








So good to literally be able to get here with an easy walk.

Happy day everyone, walk if you can, it's good, also interesting, to get your exercise outside instead of in a gym. 

Home again and the mailman had been 




My shuttle has arrived and been introduced to her loom. Tomorrow I'll tighten the warp threads then start my new bandweaving. I have a cool pattern to work.

And I put the gold collection on Freecycle in the interests of winnowing the surfaces in the living room.

If anyone in the US would like these, email me with your snail mail address. 










31 comments:

  1. What a lovely pond and area to just sit and enjoy. It definitely looks different from the winter photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a miniature nature area, and the seasons look so different there.

      Delete
  2. Now the shuttle has arrived, there'll be no stopping you . . . not that there is, anyway. Enjoy, and show us your cool pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure and show, as always. Nobody escapes my show and tell.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of your walk. I love that you’re again sharing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've shipped off several pieces recently to friends around the country. I do like getting pieces into good hands. I think that walk really keeps me going. I often feel discouraged before going and much better afterwards.

      Delete
    2. I’m the same some days about getting out and walking. Always better once I’m doing it.

      Delete
  4. You caught some beautiful reflections in the pond's water, and some gorgeous dappled sunlight on the path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not about the camera, mine a cheap Android phone. It's about seeing. The light was lovely then.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing that compares to a walk where nature is evident all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll enjoy these days before it gets hot enough to stop me.

      Delete
  6. I haven’t seen the turtle by the trail yet, and very unfortunately, I certainly don’t see squadrons. I just asked Alexa the name for a group of turtles, and she didn’t mention squadron. I was wondering if it were an official designation or merely your description. Whatever the case, I think it should be retained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I invented it, because they remind me of armies!

      Delete
  7. If nothing else, the fact of accomplishment of a walk is good for us.
    Raining here today. I would be even more thrilled if we weren't supposed to go to a sort of memorial service later which I am sure is supposed to be outside. On balance, however, we need this rain desperately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think of Florida as dry, more as lush, full of waterways.

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy walking outside, so much better than anything I can do indoors. I've started the yard cleanup, only dog poop so far:) It's now safe again for Jack to play in the yard without fear of stepping in poop, he spent a lot of time outside yesterday. My plants are happy to sit on the deck too.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spring cleanup, so familiar. I expect you like days when Jack's outside a lot, not conducting operations underfoot.

      Delete
  9. Lavender is an annual here. Winter is too cold for it. Your walking place is so very lovely. It would be a joy to be out there. Now, let the weaving begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks much more expansive in pictures! Quite a few people live right here and have never noticed it.

      Delete
  10. Walking under a lovely blue sky is one of my favorite things!
    Be careful on those stairs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely carry anything on the stairs, so this was unusual. The plant, wandering dude, really needed to get out and fend for itself.

      Delete
  11. I'm with you on walking outside -- always a good idea. At first I thought the rocks around the pond were the turtles, but then your close-up made everything clear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you live in a nice place where it's easy to enjoy being outside, I can't see the point of a treadmill. Even the name puts me off! I'm glad you spotted the turtles. They're snappers so I don't get too close.

      Delete
  12. I have a huge back yard so I can walk outdoors there. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great opportunity to really learn that area, seeing it in detail a lot.

      Delete
  13. We are having a very cold rain right now, but I do love to walk outside and thankfully I have a wonderful place to walk.
    Sorry your back is bothering you so much but it doesn't seem to get you down.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can easily fix my back by walking and stretching. I don't have an actual problem usually. It's just the stresses of repetitive actions. If I unwind it quickly it's fine. I just like to whine..

      Delete
  14. They are luscious photos taken during your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too bad there wasn't a nice bench beside the pond to sit and watch the wildlife (perhaps there is?). I really miss walking outdoors but I have to realize that every time I set out the RC insists on coming along and he sometimes falls and if that happens I can't get him up by myself. Hall walking is what I have to do and it's better than nothing, albeit boring. We do have what used to be a lovely path along the river but now that homeless people have set up encampments it's no longer safe to walk there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bench, it's on the golf course, so I stay just beyond the limit to stand and observe. But it's fine. As soon as a bench appears, you need it. Like the perfectly able bodied younger visitors at my house who use the hallway grab bar, because it's there! They could leap the one step down.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!