Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Food, books, votes and glue

Today I got a ride to donate a bunch of food to the food pantry, getting all the food to some of the people. Getting rides has aroused interest in my drivers, one of whom is now a donor, and today's was asking what they accept. Now she knows where to take donations, too. This is all good. People are generous once they know how. 

And I picked up two reserved books at the library, which Blogger won't insert in here, keeps putting after the end of the post. 

Anyway, one's Live Lagom by Anna brones which I  think works very well as a regular book, because it's a nice size and shape, with soft illustrations and a good feeling. 

The other's Antonia Fraser's Must you go? an account of her marriage to Harold Pinter, which should be interesting, two big egos.

I remembered to check the status of my primary ballot, our primary is in early June. Ballot tracking was one of the things I helped bring about (played a tiny part).  This is important particularly in view of the USPS today.

There we go. It's been received. So far so good. I had to change my password to get in, no doubt a security feature.

And I Got The Seeds In, complete with squirrel-deterring peppermint oil soaked qtips. I have another packet to plant and I think I'll wait to see if any container doesn't do well, to add in seeds. I put out the cotton plants, too, in great hopes.

The back forty is now ready for the season.

In other news, I will get some gorilla glue today and set about the BrokeLoom.  

I'm also figuring out if I can finish the cowl backstrap style, though I don't have a big enough rigid heddle in the right dent. 

Meaning I have one with the right spacing -- like knitting needle size -- but it's not wide enough for this item, not enough openings. Still considering this.  It will be much harder to maintain good width and selvedges without a heddle. That's the part that keeps the threads evenly spaced.

When something goes wrong like this broken part, it really triggers a lot of possible solutions. It's all good. My inner Rube Goldberg is on it.

Happy day everyone! It's not a problem, it's an AFGO.















25 comments:

  1. I'm so lucky to live in a "blue" state. We have early voting for quite a few days before election day and I always get there early so I don't worry about missing out. No lines, no crowds and I get a sticker that says "I voted!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a little card thanking me, with a peel off I voted sticker. I put my card on the fridge right away.

      Delete
  2. I have super glue on my grocery list. I probably really need gorilla glue though. I have two broken pots shaped like hens that need to be put back together again.
    Glad you got your fingers in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to do a bit, and a bit strenuous too.

      Delete
  3. You’re planting, and we had our first bbq. Summer is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasonal signs. Summer isn't here yet -- no mosquitoes!

      Delete
  4. AFGO? just asked google - ahhh. Very glad that we don't have your voting system (and some of the people you get to vote for - or agin). Sure, we are all expected to vote but I don't see that as detrimental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with my voting system. I wish we could get more people to vote and I have great candidates, also currently electeds.

      Delete
  5. My state's primary was last month, and I made sure to keep track how my mail-in ballot was moving through the system. It made it in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to follow up. This year it's also important in some states to make sure you're still registered, in good time to remedy it if necessary.

      Delete
  6. It helps to have an agile mind when things go awry. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see! I like thinking about possible solutions. It beats wringing my hands, anyway.

      Delete
  7. I’m curious to know if the peppermint-soaked Q-tips work against the squirrels. The back forty is looking good. I think I’d like a break from AFGOs at least until next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing the peppermint oil thing for decades. It works.

      Delete
  8. I didn't know what AFGO was so I had to look it up. I am pleased to report that I now have a new acronym to add to my lexicon:)

    We have a mama squirrel who now regularly visits our bird feeder and she is also using our bird house as a storage silo.

    I donated for years to the food bank but when I retired, I was worried about money, and stopped donating. Turns out I'm fine financially, so time to start to donating again. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've certainly experienced enough AFGOs. So now you have the name of them!
      It's nice of you to rethink your donations to your local food bank. Summer, when school is out is very hard on families who use school breakfast and lunch programs. So this is a good time to resume.

      Delete
    2. We don't have breakfast or lunch programs here, that I'm aware of anyway, but I get your point. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I still haven't purchased peppermint oil but it's on my radar. As the summer wears on our squirrels seem to get less aggressive in their digging. It seems most strenuous in early spring and then it tapers off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early spring is when the seeds need help! Here they start again digging furiously in the fall when all the acorns and beech nuts come down. We get a lot of baby oak trees from that.

      Delete
  10. I don’t know who Rube Goldberg is. I come from Gen X and we always say, just mcgiver it. That man could do wonders with some duck tape and a shoe lace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rube Goldberg was an engineer as well as a cartoonist! Brilliant man. Then there's the English Heath Robinson, lived at the same time, also invented and drew wacky machines for doing simple tasks. These were real machines. MacGyver is a fictional character, different thing really.

      Delete
  11. Well done on getting your seeds in. And both of those books sound very good. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pinter book isn't worth much attention. More name dropping than thinking. I was hoping for insight into his writing, but she doesn't seem to have much! She's still going, in her nineties!

      Delete
  12. It's wonderful that you can track your ballot to be sure it arrived - but what do you do if it doesn't? Is there any recourse??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are procedures to make it whole, provisional arrangements. Also if you make a mistake on it, you can correct it in front of the county clerk. It's a good system.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!