Here's my view now the giant evergreen is gone. It's so much better.
Before, I could see part of the fence and the evergreen to the left. Everything else blotted out.
And I finally, after years of not doing it, made a three bean salad. It's taken me this long to assemble the beans.
Natural art arrangement
Now this is in the fridge ready for the 90plus degree heat we're expecting in the next couple of days.
I managed to get the new band mounted onto the loom. This is the hardest part, keeping the threads untwisted and under tension while wrapping them over and over the headpiece of the loom and installing it while keeping the warp threads secure at the other end, it needs three hands.
This morning I spied frogs in the pond. Here's a completely unconcerned one, studying me.
And I finished the first sock.
It was good I got all this done earlier because the afternoon which started with reading on the deck soon disintegrated into Gary's moving operations.
A glass table I've been keeping for him being bubble wrapped by two relatives, the younger one the person I taught to make cordage, and her grandmother, old friend and future next-door neighbor. Gary provided plenty of bubble wrap..
Everybody brought their dog over, plus various other relatives carrying boxes of fragile stuff to the van. Gary and grandson carried out the table to the truck.
Never a dull moment. They're lovely people, so I think all's well.
I seem to have a purple garden this year
Happy day everyone! I have endless entertainment without leaving home.















I love your bean arrangement! What will you do without Gary? What will WE do, not hearing Gary stories!
ReplyDeleteI'll be amazed if he doesn't keep showing up. His relative will be next door and he plans to do the gardening for her. I'm hoping for a quieter life with fewer interrupted meals and studio time! Bah humbug!
DeleteHoly moly, that's a lot of bubble wrap!
ReplyDeleteHe doesn't do things by halves..
DeleteRemember the book title (I think), When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple”? Well, you’re growing it. Now I am going to search to see if there ever was such a book or whether I am dreaming…..
ReplyDeleteBy golly i was right. Just substitute will for shall.
That sounds like Jenny Joseph's poem about rebelling in old age.
DeleteI work at a job where I constantly have to unwrap items from bubble wrap, which isn't always easy (especially when tape is added.) Putting it on might be a refreshing change of pace.
ReplyDeleteClever stuff, bubble wrap. My Misfits egg cartons come wrapped in it. Not easy to cut off.
DeleteI would never have a glass table, I have seen TV news items about cheaply manufactured ones shattering at odd moments. That's not something I would care to deal with. I'll take a good solid wood table anyday.
ReplyDeleteThis is a high end tempered glass table, he never buys cheap. It takes two strong people to carry, small as it is!
DeleteA hive of activity at your place.
ReplyDeleteI grew three different coloured beens one year specifically to make three bean salad. One was a purple bean and it turned green when cooked. And even the pale yellow bean changed to become a closer colour to the green.
I’ve never grown the special coloured beans again.
Looking at what you used I might try again by buying the different coloured beans
If I do I’ll post and let you know how I go
You can use any dark red, any green and any white. There's quite a few choices if you go canned, as I did, simple! I didn't have wax beans hence the cannellini. Didn't have kidney so I used black. But I did have green beans at least. It's very good with the vinegar and spices.
DeleteAnd you’re not even the one moving! I wonder how much bubble wrap he’ll have left over... and what project you’ll be able to use it for.
ReplyDeleteSo far he's involved most of his family, the neighbors across the street moving their cars so his van didn't block the way for traffic, one directing his backup to the sidewalk, and me. Also an out of town friend who arrived last night! Dday was simpler.
DeleteGetting caught up reading your blog (I don't seem to spend much time on the computer these days). Very much enjoying seeing your good food, beautiful flowers, and especially your fiber arts projects. I just love the socks.
ReplyDeleteWoven bands can be so useful. All of my goats could certainly use new collars and leads. I tried my hand at tablet weaving awhile back, but it got the best of me. Too many moving parts! LOL. Your band loom looks like just the ticket.
I was not too successful at card weaving, just couldn't remember whether I'd turned or was about to etc, I bet you recognize the problem. But I love my little band loom. I have a feeling you can build one with wood scraps and a couple of wingnuts. It's pretty simple carpentry. Says she, who bought hers!
DeleteThe moment has come and Gary is finally departing. When does your old friend and new neighbour move in?
ReplyDeleteThe moment will be stretched over weeks. Then J moves in as soon as he's settled in the new place. I'm not holding my breath.
DeleteGlad to see everyone pitching in to help Gary move. I envy those rolls of bubble wrap. That's what I need right about now, having used up all that I already had stashed. The pottery at my house may be packed, but the dishes are not. (And I have no moving date yet, so it's alright.) It will be great to have you tell about new adventures with new "Gary relations."
ReplyDeleteLife will be much quieter with the new neighbor. She's not given to dashing in!
DeleteAlthough I know your life will be more peaceful, I am going to miss the Tales of Gary.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that flowers bloom in similar colors at different times. Now is the time for the purples and lavenders and pinks.
I need to make some three-bean salad. I certainly have the green bean parts. I've used garbanzos in it too and that is good. There is no law that says there can only be three beans.
There will almost certainly be more tales of Gary. He has friends all over the country he bursts in on with ideas, so a mere 20 minute drive won't hold him up.
DeleteI fancied chickpeas in this salad but amazingly didn't have any.
I hope Gary does show up, he is a whirling dervish! Can you believe I have never eaten 3 bean salad? I should give it a try.
ReplyDeleteI think youd like it. It's great with homebaked bread. My lunch was pumpkin lentil soup with toasted olive bread and a bowl of 3b salad. Very easy, good in hot weather.
DeleteI'd buy those colourful socks in a thrice! Once had a similar pair made by a knitter/weaver friend in Moab. Oh if only such favourite garments would last forever when worn so often! -Kate
ReplyDeleteI knit socks and gloves for a special project, they're well received by people who don't usually get items brand new, made for them. Glad to do it.
DeleteI enjoyed this post very much. Your sock looks amazing. Nothing like hand made socks on your feet. Your garden is very lovely. Have a nice Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThe garden is very nice just now, with practically no attention at all. It's repaying earlier work I think.
DeleteThat is a LOT of bubble wrap! LOL
ReplyDeleteI always hate to see a tree come down, but I bet you do have better light now, in addition to your more open view.
And everything in neighboring patios will grow better now, with no competition underground. Since Gary's butterfly bush went you can see how well my plants are doing. Better light, air circulation, less competition under ground. I think this new space will be better for the neighboring plantings.
DeleteWell, best of luck to Gary in his new home. Hope the move goes well.
ReplyDeleteMy son and I went to the funeral of one of his good friends this morning. Kurt died a few weeks ago after a massive stroke. He was only 59 and we will miss him a LOT.
That's very young. My condolences.
DeleteSe are also going to experience a 2-day heat wave this week in NH, so I am looking for similar recipes like that 3-bean salad. The crockpot will must likely be set up for at least one meal and leftovers the next day. Hope Garys move continues to go smoothly with so many helpers.
ReplyDeleteI think many of us were quietly hoping Gary would think better of the move and stay put - if only for our entertainment value. Your life is going to get a whole lot quieter and I'm sure you are going to miss some of the upheaval he's brought. I'm sure he'll be back regularly.
ReplyDeleteBean salad is a summer staple here and we put in whatever beans we happen to have on hand. They all seem to work well.