Saturday, May 23, 2026

Rain, but indoor excitement anyway

Breakfast was toast with plum and lemon jam I made last evening.  Some of the plums are a bit tart, and have plenty of pectin, so I used them.


Just a small batch, and the texture is very good, spreadable.  It works on yogurt, too.

I'm continuing the current socks while listening to murder mysteries 

Then my new little loom arrived, really nice, surprisingly good for the price.







It arrived prethreaded, and I tried inserting the heddle but was defeated by the cheap springy yarn jumping out of the slots. 

So I discarded it and tried the idea of detaching the end piece and trying the proof of concept with the long warp threads. This boucle cotton yarn didn't jump out so I'm hopeful I can manipulate it.

I think this will work. First I need to find C clamps to secure the top bar and the loom to the table. 

Then onward to another weave. What larks!

Happy day everyone, despite our cold wet nonjoyous holiday weekend weather. 




 

 

36 comments:

  1. Even more happiness looms on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More from AC's Little Book of Puns! Weaving does offer a target, true.

      Delete
  2. I never thought about weaving too much until I started reading this blog. So the detailed instructions that came with the loom is to this layman kind of fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loom makers seem convinced that small loom= children's toy, despite the facts. So they give pictures and instructions accordingly. Maybe it's good marketing. This is the second loom that's arrived dressed and with a started weaving, which I've had to take off.

      Delete
  3. We are havng cold and wet too, but it is almost winter here so that's to be expected. I hope the new loom does well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having unseasonably cold rain for the opening of summer. So the lion's arrival is timely.

      Delete
    2. Lion? I wrote loom! A lion would certainly add interest to a quiet day.

      Delete
    3. I was rather hoping for the lion...Chris from Boise

      Delete
  4. The jam sounds very good. I like your sock colors.
    Good luck with your loom. It is a rainy day here too.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam is very good, not too sweet, just my style. I think there's rain everywhere except where it's really needed. Weaving weather.

      Delete
  5. I think you could have been a motor mechanic with your mechanical device loom skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if customers would appreciate the Rube Goldberg aspect of my approach!

      Delete
  6. I do feel sorry for all the families who planned picnics and going to water, whether lakes or a pool, for their first swim of the year...here it's cool and I am not sure the pool even opened yet. But we definitely needed the rain. However it does dampen my spirits and physical maladies. My personal well being does overshadow nature so easily. Love the new loom...can't wait to see your next creative endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rain can be a damper in both senses. About the weaving, stay tuned, it's happening.

      Delete
  7. What sort of yarns do you find to be the best for weaving?
    That looks to be a sturdy loom. Of course- I know nothing! I can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About yarns, it all depends what you're making. I used roving for that little underfoot mat ages ago, embroidery thread for small four selvedge tapestries, cotton for wallhangings, also wool for same, grasses for making miniature books, also spun paper, torn fabric strips for artworks. I think you can use practically anything, really.
      The current piece is very conservative! Tabby plain even weave.

      Delete
  8. We are moving from jacket weather to sweating weather overnight. I look forward to what you create with the new loom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gone back to cold and rainy and dressing in layers. The new loom is already at work.

      Delete
  9. Just the right thing for a wet day in May.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh - fresh weaving excitement!
    Rained pretty much all day yesterday here too with high easterly winds...which unhappily made the rain hit our windows which proceed to leak. I put in a work order but already know it will more than likely be ignored. I've complained before but it always falls on deaf ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you can install something outside to stop the rain hitting the glass head on. Bit late now.

      Delete
    2. Good idea but the building management would pitch a fit (and besides, we don't have a ladder that would take us up three stories...nor the nerve to attempt climbing one!).

      Delete
    3. I was thinking the balcony window! Yes, I can't see you holding the ladder while rc climbs up with sheets of plastic wrap and duct tape!

      Delete
  11. I like how your looms are getting bigger and bigger! You are so good at figuring out how to make things work.
    I did re-pot my indoor plants yesterday. Thanks for the encouragement!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you were halfway to doing it when you commented. Well done, now you can stop thinking oh I must do that.

      Delete
  12. We are hot as blazes here, at least by English standards. I'm enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed other Brits worried about the tropical heat. You probably feel right at home.

      Delete
  13. I see a pattern here, such a great pun for weaving:) More weaving implements, you are obviously enjoying it so much. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really appreciating finding weaving methods I can do, not requiring great strength or reach, neither of which I have now.

      Delete
  14. A bit cooler than Steve up here..it might just scrape above 20⁰C if we are lucky...
    isn't there a phrase "get weaving"....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see I've opened the door to a tangled web of weaving puns!

      Delete
  15. Isn’t it odd that the looms come pre-strung with yarn that’s difficult/impossible to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They put in cheap yarn as practice for kids. But even if this were for a kid, I'd redo it with better yarn. More respectful. Also you get better results.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!