Saturday has been about cooking and weaving, the food being vital support. Weaving is labor intensive.
I roasted a tray of diced chicken breast, hot chili dice, scallions, carrots, mushrooms, onions and chickpeas, with red chili oil, shawarma seasoning mix and seasalt.
This was an interesting lunch, full of flavor, just hot enough and plenty of textures. I'll get three more meals from it.
I fitted this into a day of thrills and spills weaving and reweaving and learning the meander pattern.
First I had to study how to load the shuttle, it's different from the open ended ones I have. But what a great tool. So much easier to pick up pattern threads.
And here you see an interesting discovery. When I chose pink pattern threads, I thought they'd stand out subtly against the variegated yarn.
Then I had to choose the weft thread and, thinking the variegated yarn would confuse the design, decided on the white you see.
And here's what happened. The pink pattern threads, supposedly the main event, blended in and the white, weft, thread stood out. It's a kind of negative space effect. Very clever if I'd intended it. But interesting, anyway.
I'll continue, because my skill level is starting to get going. I love the shuttle, very friendly tool.
No time for walking aside from a meandering to the mailbox, to find it packed with election material. We have a primary coming with a cast of thousands running to succeed a great member of the House, Bonnie Watson Coleman.
Our mail in ballot looks like a CVS receipt. For them as don't know, CVS is a pharmacy famous for its yard-long receipts for the smallest purchase. Usually a ballot has a few names for the primary. This one's a free for all.
Happy day everyone, and I wish you the pleasure I'm getting from my new weaving caper. So much to learn.










Wit so many candidates the votes are going to be split so much that you might not get an answer as too who won.
ReplyDeleteThey need to come together behind one candidate or else they’ll never get the tangerine toddler out of office
Love your weaving pattern It would make a beautiful belt or just as a book mark
There's always a clear winner, because it's first past the post. Also it's a long time blue district, so it's pretty clear whoever is the Dem nominee is very likely to win the general election. It's just they're all jostling at the gate just now.
DeleteGlad you're having fun with your new shuttle, new patterns, and new experiences!
ReplyDeleteSome people think summer -- vacation! Visiting! Since I've outlived everyone I used to visit, I think summer -- new project! By Fall I may have some expertise with the loom. I've done narrow band weaving back strap style, and this loom is different. More portable, and more skill required in dealing with the warp threads.
DeleteAll kinds of things will be happening politically in the next 7 months. Whew. I hate that junk mail, and the horrible ads on TV.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a tv. But the junk mail is so wasteful.
DeleteDescribes the current state of affairs: a free for all.
ReplyDeleteExcept that they're mostly good guys in this local one!
DeleteCooking and weaving is preferrable to having to bob and weave.
ReplyDeleteI mailed my ballot last week. We'll see what happens.
ReplyDeleteThank you for modeling the action. We need all registered voters to get out and vote, not sit wringing their hands.
DeleteThe work with the new shuttle looks good, so it was a worthwhile purchase.
ReplyDeleteThank you, yes, I honored my need and I'm glad I did.
DeleteYou had me at chickpeas.
ReplyDeleteIf chickpeas didn't exist, we'd have to invent them, to mangle Voltaire.
DeleteYour meal sounds and looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteOur supermarkets produce very long receipts but you have a choice between between taking one or not, so not printed out. Aldi's is very brief but still shows you what you need to know.
At CVS you buy one small item and the receipt is literally two feet long, ads, offers, surveys, etc. They've introduced the choice of declining paper, so I do. I've got the record on my credit card.
DeleteThere really is nothing like the thrill of learning a new skill, is there? Heck. I'm thrilled for YOU!
ReplyDeleteIt's so exciting learning new things. Now that I've started, I need to keep referring back to the book and videos, which are making so much more sense now. And I'm learning about what yarns will, mainly won't, work.
DeleteGlad you are enjoying your weaving so much. I'm starting up my cross stitch bookmarks again as the ones I made for my volunteer group have sold out this weekend. Yay for me!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely yay you! They must be lovely, also people are happy to have small items to use. What kind of designs do you do?
DeleteMostly things with flowers or gardens - we are the Weed Ladies after all and make floral arrangements to sell. The money goes to our local history museum called Naper Settlement.
DeleteMail-in ballots? That's interesting because I thought the orange buffoon and his minions were doing away with that ability. Maybe his wants haven't taken effect yet.
ReplyDeleteIn his dreams! Elections are specifically run by counties and states, nothing to do with the feds.
DeleteAhhhh you are so talented. I love seeing your weaving. Your meal looks so good too.
ReplyDeleteAt this point I'm learning technique. More perspiration than inspiration!
DeleteI'm glad the weaving is fun! Our local elections are coming up too -- May 7.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll exercise your new found voting rights.
Delete