Thursday, May 7, 2026

Pond walk with frogs, chives, Misfits box

This morning the rain had stopped, cool, in the sixties f.,  cool enough for layers for this chilly old party.

The frogs are out and leaping into the water, each with a Geronimo yell. And I heard the first redwing blackbird of the year, great excitement. 




Before Misfits arrives, I'm making Nigella's sardine pasta, the doings organized here.

 It's sounding pretty good.


It's one of those recipes where you add the drained pasta into the sauce and continue cooking for a minute. I didn't have scallions -- used them up in that roasted chicken vegetable extravaganza -- so I used diced red onions.

You use a can of sardines in olive oil, and she suggests draining the can but using other olive oil for the pan, why? I drained the can into the pan to cook the garlic and red pepper seeds. 

I used shredded mozzarella rather than the shredded Parmesan she likes, mainly because I wasn't in a mood to be grating Parmesan and the mozzarella was right there.

It's quite fun to make and about 15 minutes tops, from finding the spaghetti behind the cans to serving. At least three more meals here.  

I also have plans soon for paneer studded with chive blossoms, because they're here


And I'm comfort-reading Britannia Mews, an old favorite 


Meanwhile, right after lunch, the Misfits van arrived, Ronald driving.




This layout looks like a good composition. Nice diagonals working with verticals, but I digress.

Wall of cans mostly for the food pantry, and Gary added in a case of small applesauce jars. Big bunch of spring tonic dandelion greens, some of which might make a nice quiche, with some of the eggs there. Chard for anywhere I need greens, maybe also in the quiche, we'll see. 

Lovely Envy apples, and no Bananaz because I have a surfeit of apples, also blueberries in the freezer, maybe for a tiny batch of jam. Next week will be about berries of various kinds. 

Look at those beautiful potatoes. They're probably a little undersized for the supermarket, but just right for me. I'll parboil them today and refrigerate, then use as I go. Mostly for roasting.

Happy day, with nature and birdsong and food arriving on the step, and I'm thinking about a new artwork featuring 8647...watch this space.




 

28 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your 8647 artwork, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in Paneer with chive blossoms. Sounds seasonably delicious! I have a can of sardines, and some pasta somewhere. and fresh garlic...lemon juice, salt and pepper and powdered Parmesan (no purist here!) Can't eat peppers or onions. Anything else needed? I'm giving away some canned goods Saturday since the post office is collecting for some drive or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigella has two recipes, find the simpler one with sardines in olive oil. Sounds as if you're set. If you can't tolerate hot pepper seeds, it will be mild.

      Delete
  3. I would like the pasta but husband would not.
    Great post frogs jumping and good food.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So why not make it for you and he can have something else?

      Delete
  4. I think those potatoes are perfect! I love your misfits boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever had produce from Misfits that wasn't fresh, beautiful and definitely quality. Often it's only a matter of size or of surplus.

      Delete
  5. You reminded me at the end there that I haven’t had roasted potatoes for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe incorporate some in your next restaurant breakfast?

      Delete
  6. Surplus potatoes? I just read the price of potatoes have increased 23% I. A mo.th due to shortages. We will check Saturday when we go to the store. I cannot quite believe that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine are about the same price as they've been for a while. Sometimes an organic farmer is contracted to provide a certain amount to a highend supermarket who won't take more. Thats when misfits buys the surplus.

      Delete
  7. They might be called misfits but it seems that the food they supply is top class fresh and unblemished. Sounds like a good deal to me (especially delivered)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All true. Mainly it's a matter of size. I've never had questionable quality. And I'm completely spoiled by getting it literally brought to my doorstep. I heart misfits, and attribute a lot of my well-being to being relieved of the stress of shopping and schlepping, while eating well.

      Delete
  8. My ex-husband's family were big sardine fans, so I tried them once, and NEVER again. Even my cats never liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to the 8647 artwork. I immediately responded to the Misfits still life. I was hoping to see (and hear) a video of the frogs yelling Geronimo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My steam driven system doesn't run to video! Full disclosure: I scroll by them in other places, tl;dw. I knew you'd spot the accidental art without a prompt.

      Delete
  10. That’s a great haul of food. I’m like you. Why would you waste the oil that has taste and use just plain old olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes chefs are wasteful. Marcella Hazan has a wonderful recipe for spaghetti sauce using a whole onion, which she says to discard when the sauce is done. I don't! I suppose they're not living on a household budget and they can be extravagant.

      Delete
  11. I picked up some canned goods for the Mailman's food drive here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're doing one here this weekend too. Maybe it's a national event.

      Delete
  12. If I ate sardines I would try this. I used to really like watching Nigella's cooking show. She is a character. My cats also won't eat sardines, but they are weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had a cat who would eat any fish but tuna. They were mad for that.

      Delete
  13. My chives are in flower. I have quite a few clumps of them and they're so pretty, as well as tasting good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one pot and I often forget to let them grow to flowering, because I'm eager to cut them, but this year I remembered.

      Delete
  14. You had a good Misfits haul. I like a good comfort read too -- it's lie being with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have some favorites that I probably know by heart but they're still so nice to read!

      Delete
  15. Sardines are never on the menu here because the RC hates them - and I'm not fond of them either. My mother used to mash them up with mayo for sandwiches. I ate them, but under a certain amount of duress. Looking forward to chives in potato salad over the summer, but it's going to be awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sardines, but I can't quite see them with mayo. This recipe is quite Mediterranean -- sardines, tomatoes, garlic. You can add anchovies, but I didn't have any.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!