Monday, May 11, 2026

Felt art and cleaners here

The cleaners who keep my household ticking over are here this morning, so I'm not.

I decided to use Lyft instead of friends to get to the library, my usual destination, partly to keep my hand in at using a ride service and keep my account warm, partly to be independent of kind friends.

Angel drove me in a beautifully clean, newly detailed car, Spanish radio and GPS, but not a long enough ride to learn any Spanish.

And I found, in the library gallery, an art acquaintance was showing her marvelous felt and other sustainable textiles. Nelly is a lovely person and an exciting artist. She makes wall art, accessories, clothing, jewelry, just a powerhouse of ideas. Just look 















 I love her color and forms and really you need to be here to get the tactile excitement. She's now getting into other materials, gemstones, leather, other natural objects.  

She's local and has taught around here, including right in the library.  Felt is labor intensive,  so the felt works here represent a lot of time and attention.

Speaking of which, the current puzzle is a puzzle. It took me a while to realize it's being worked upside down. 

I think it was started from the other side of the table, but I couldn't get going until I turned the box t'other road up, and was able to put in a few pieces before deciding that was my share.

Last evening Gary came over to wish me a Happy Mother's Day again and to ask if we could do a collaborative artwork. This is not a person of vision, so this should be interesting. 

The idea is to use some old thumb drives in an arrangement as a kind of memory piece from his working life. His comment was that this is his starting idea and I'm supposed to have the vision!  

I instantly started making suggestions and he was a bit surprised at how fast this could go. But he's also in the middle of packing to move, which is how he came across the drives, also scheduling back surgery soon. And he's still talking about installing my patio out front! We'll see. There's time.

Happy day everyone. Do all the things, and, if you can't, then go next door and get your neighbor to do all the things.





28 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would like a neighbor to do all the things! Her art is interesting, I like the wall hangings. Intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific art exhibit at the library! And I'm sure Gary will treasure whatever artwork results from your vision and his thumbdrives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can keep a straight face long enough.

      Delete
  3. Gary really IS a character, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you taking Lyft. I have a car, but I don't drive unless I really need to. Many of my friends here don't have a car and ask for a lift, but I order my groceries and so much more online for delivery, so it irks me to be asked to take them to the store. But I do because I know other people don't use online services like I do. I only wish they had had these services when I was a single working mother, but wishes are .... . I am preparing myself for the way I see the future for aging adults. Not every ride needs to be a Lyft, but the fact that you are availing yourself of these services means you will be mobile and social as you age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nearer 90 than 80 at this point, so I've done a bit of aging. I stopped driving a few months ago and sold my car. I figured the sale price of the car would provide a lot of rides! But friends are very generous in driving me around. Maybe you could refer your friends to Lyft;). Not Uber, they heavily fund the feller in the White House. I removed their app when I found that out.

      Delete
  5. Artwork made of thumb drives. I want to see that:)

    That felt art is beautiful! And your house is clean. Win, win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good art, clean house, and I can't wait to see the GaryLiz artwork

      Delete
  6. That seem like quite an extensive display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary is something else! I look forward to the thumb drive creation (I wonder what part he’ll play in it). Nelly is certainly prolific. So many different and beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelly is brilliant, mind like quicksilver. She was a physicist before she turned to art felting.
      I think Gary might get mentally tired as we work together. He doesn't yet know what it takes!

      Delete
  8. She sure has a variety of beautiful work!
    Boy, Gary is sure going to miss you! Who will he run to for help in his new home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's twenty minutes drive away and I hope that deters some of the irruptions but there's still texting...

      Delete
  9. felt is fascinating and more versatile than you would imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done some of that felt painting, thanks to Nelly years ago, and it's very labor intensive also interesting. It's an amazing material, too. Winter boots even!

      Delete
  10. I hope Gary's replacement will be as entertaining for you. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a couple of his female relatives, old friends and much more low-key! I don't think there will be irruptions, but I expect my bits of baked goods will be welcome.

      Delete
  11. I do like working felt. I haven't done it is awhile. I should pull it all out. These are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelly has that effect. Seeing her work makes a person want to do it again. I hope you will.

      Delete
  12. Gary never runs out of ideas, does he? And so many of them involve you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's trying to establish reasons to come back and visit!

      Delete
  13. An art collaboration between you and Gary - that should be fun! Rather brilliant of him to even think of the concept to use the 'parts'. You are certainly going to miss him when he moves (and so, I know, will we!).
    You timed it right to see that wonderful display at the library - she's an incredible artists with so many varying items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that he'll be over often enough that I shan't get to miss him much. The new tenant is a close relative, so he'll be there quite a bit.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!