Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Tuesday textiles, also chocolate

I spent the morning experimenting with the latest idea in the narrow band caper. I decided to end work on the current design and move on  up the warp to make room for more ideas.

Most of them didn't work,since changing the weft color completely obliterated the design, so that was good to know. Then I tried another idea and realized it was for a nine pattern thread set-up, not the five I had in place. Then I did a few other things, all useful learning, none resulting in anything to see.  Just as well I'm used to setbacks. 

So I improved the shining hour by making fruit and nut chocolate chunks.


And noticed a weird phenomenon, shadows where they can't be 

The eastern sun was catching the chrome headlight on a car outside and bouncing the shadow back through the kitchen window curtain onto the opposite wall. Accidental art.

Then, too hot for knitting group today, I was catered to by a visit yesterday from one of the group with kimonos to give away.

Back story: not just a skilled knitter, she's the colorwork person whose sweaters you've seen in my knitting group reports, she's also an opera singer and has  produced opera, too. 

A few years ago she needed kimonos for a local amateur production of Mikado, and acquired, cheap, sight unseen, a box of what turned out to be wonderful garments. She's now trying to rehome them to people who'll appreciate what they're getting. Including the knitters. 

So since she knew it would be too hot for me today, when she planned to bring them to the group, yesterday she came here to show me.








They're silk mainly, with beautiful details, lined cuffs, lovely inner fastenings, matched designs over seams. A private trunk show!

One is coming to live with me. It's wearable as a robe, I think. Here it is 





Then on to Textiles and Tea with a great young weaver who has burst onto the scene with such rapidly developed skills it's hard to realize how young he is. 



This piece is about the danger and passion of the life of a young gay man. He's very much influenced by the drawings of Egon Schiele, and if you're not familiar, check him out, great artist.

Detail of the piece above 

His parents on their wedding day, amazing techniques.





This piece won an award, very early in his weaving life.

He's an impressive man as well as a great weaver with huge art skills. 

Happy day everyone. My Tuesday was full even without the knitting group. 

Keep cool if you're in the heat band. Eat chocolate.





37 comments:

  1. It's warm here, but not hot, so I worked in the garden for a bit and planted two of my tomato plants.
    That kimono is absolutely beautiful. What a lovely thing for the lady to do.
    So, no knitting, but some lovely weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No knitting but still a textile rich day.

      Delete
  2. Your post was chock full!. I love the kimono great use of it.
    The weaving of that your man are amazing.
    We are in the hear too it came much to quickly.
    But going away for the holiday weekend.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yrs, plenty happening around here. I think today's the last very hot day.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to Eric Dwyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kimono is stunning! And with a welcoming (and talented) recipient and generous (and talented) gifter. Eric Dwyer's weaving is also stunning. Wow. PLUS fruited chocolate!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not setbacks... It is a learning curve!
    Such beautiful kimonos (doesn't that mean "dress"?) you made a good choice.
    And the weaving. Highly skilled already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the learning is coming thick and fast. Though there aren't results to see, it was a valuable time. As you say! I must look up kimono, now that you mention it.

      Delete
  6. Only May and heat in the 90s! I'm still wearing three layers in the house!
    Fabulous kimonos, how generous of your friend to rehome them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art community does this a lot. We give and receive easily, one of the bonuses.

      Delete
  7. Our temperatures are rising, too, though not as excessively as yours. Your kimono will be perfect - light and cool. How kind of your friend to come to your house with her collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a good person. I'm just a bit younger, but much more active, than her mother, and I think that's a factor. Her caregiving kicks in.

      Delete
  8. Exceptional weavings. That kimono is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely? The flowing print design is just lovely.

      Delete
  9. Your new kimono robe is lovely, though for myself the hanging portion of sleeve would drive me crazy. The fabrics and patterns are lovely. I remember The Mikado, though I have only seen the comedy version with Jon English, Derek Metzger, Drew Forsyth etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeves are also pockets! I definitely can't cook in this robe.

      Delete
  10. I'm sure it was just days ago you were moaning about the cold.
    Did I see you in a caftan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I expect I was whining about too cold to plant. Now too hot to plant!

      Delete
  11. Oh the feel of those kimonos must have been ecstatic! Love silk! And I think you have the perfect choice for yourself. Stay cool, create away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's double fabric, surprisingly heavy, and drapes wonderfully.

      Delete
  12. You look great in your beautiful new kimono!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels luxurious! It's also way too long so I have to think about that.

      Delete
  13. Hotter there than it is here! We're only getting up into the low 90's so far. This will change.
    What a truly lovely experience to get to see and touch all of those kimonos. I'm so glad you get to own one. What a luxury it must be to slip your arms into those sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like bursting into song, since this piece was in The Mikado!

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful kimono! I could just eat some fruit and nut chocolate too. And I love examples of accidental art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kimono is luxurious, heavier than you'd think, too.

      Delete
  15. You are elegant, draped in the lovely kimono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very flattering garment. I need to create a sash to deal with the length.

      Delete
  16. I don't blame you for not wanting to go out to knitting group with temps that high. Best to stay home and you got treated to a great trunk show. Talk about a treasure trove of inspiration in those robes!
    That weaver is going to go places with his art if he's this accomplished at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The robes were great to handle, and now wear. I think Eric is a future Archie Brennan, terrific artist as well as weaver.

      Delete
  17. A lovely kimono! Hope it cools off soon there. We have gotten cooler today so I can get out for a walk. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow will be cooler. Also with thunderstorms. But I will definitely get out to walk no matter what.

      Delete
  18. Those kimonos are fantastic. I'm so glad you kept one. Your fruit-nut-chocolate bits look tasty. And that guy is such a creative weaving designer. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the kimono and have to figure out how to wear it without cutting. It's very long, and I wonder if a sash will do it.

      Delete
  19. In that selfie you took, you look like your about to burst out into singing
    Such beautiful garments and excellent summer robes

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!