Thursday, May 21, 2026

Rain, bands and Misfits

Lovely heavy rain for hours, now lighter,  and it's soaking in as fast as it falls. We needed this.

While I'm awaiting Misfits, I finished a couple of short band experiments. You see how the pattern reverses, and how changing the weft color influences the design.




Jeff brought the serum, I mean groceries, today





Already all stocked up with food pantry offerings, no cans this week. Lime juice to beat up in yogurt, q v., Envy apples, because the apples Sandra recommended are being sold in 5lb lots, a bit too much even for me, plums either for eating fresh or for crumbles, depending.  


Red wine vinegar for a change,  because the three bean salad used up the last of the distilled and apple cider vinegar. Tuna for tuna melts with ketchup, favorite rapid supper, bread for same. I had used the last piece in the house, the olive bread,  shortly before this delivery.

Raisins for reasons, including upcoming granola bars, vanilla likewise, sadly McCormick, all I could get, but I do need vanilla.  Crumbled blue cheese for omelettes and various other thoughts as they occur. 

And the rain brought out the first sweet William! Two more to go, everything in moderation in this little garden. 

Left of the top of the blue glass thingy, red and white group of flowerheads. It's raining too hard to get closer just now, so you may have to take my word for it for the moment. These are from a seed mixture I flung around last year.

Breaking news, rain stopped, so pictures ensued


Sweet William and sage, present and future.

They're a terrific idea for a band motif. I wonder if I can figure it out. Hm. 

Happy day everyone, nature reminds us we don't have to do everything. The sweet Bills are coming out, sage is starting to flower, honesty going rapidly to seed, and I just get to look and say, well, how about that.




28 comments:

  1. That weaving is improving with every band you make.
    Your posts often cheer me up - so thanks for that! I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately. But you often make me smile. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain is always such a pleasure to see after a dry period and the scent coming from everything green can be very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After our recent heat, the cooling rain is lovely.

      Delete
  3. Ha! When I first looked at the picture, I thought the blue glass thingee was a bluejay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have them, too, but this is a bit bigger.

      Delete
  4. Your weaving never gives me the sense that you might get bored with repetitive designs! You just change gears and investigate another direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright and sunny here, but cool too. Enjoy the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything looks renewed now, dust and pollen washed down.

      Delete
  6. Every band you weave is surer than the last one. I can see your ability and skill increasing day by day.
    Our weather forecast keeps taunting us. Tomorrow! Tomorrow it will rain! And then it does not. I believe the frogs have been reading it and believing it because every now and then I hear them chant their rain prayer.
    My mantra today will be, "Well, how about that." Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice words! I think your gardening issues are a bit more pressing than mine, what with the explosive growth and all. Lets hope our rainband sweeps south. We've had plenty for now, thank you, Rain God Lady.

      Delete
  7. I am delighted with your band weaving... you have woven some very beautiful patterns.
    I actually tried it myself many years ago, but I would really have to get back into the swing of things if I were to give it another go...
    Warm regards to you...
    Enjoy your plants! It is so lovely to see how they are growing.
    Hugs, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would take no time for you to return to narrow bands, with your weaving skills. This is such a good time of year to admire plants before the heat of summer scorches them.

      Delete
  8. The bands turned out beautifully.
    Although you think a 5 lb bag of apples is too much for you, I'd wager that the amount of apples that you did get adds up to at least 5 lbs.
    I did notice a lack of chocolate in your bag though:)
    Your little garden looks quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two pounds of apples. They're small. A week's supply for me. And last week's chocolate is still going!
      The garden is nice at this time of year, yes. Big enough for my energy level. Thank you for the nice words about the bands. I'm liking them.

      Delete
  9. Sweet Williams are so pretty. All that food sounds very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's chocolate now and then, too. But it's healthy, I tell you.

      Delete
  10. Oh, how I WISH we'd get some rain like that. Our rain has been sparse and though we got a bit a few days ago, it wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so welcome. You could see from how fast it soaked in that the ground needed all of it. We're in a long term drought.

      Delete
  11. Your bands look beautiful. Good grocery haul. I love seeing your garden. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are in for rain Sunday. I like your weaving.
    Your misfits look good. Some baked apples in your future?
    My sweet William is spreading I have to weed it back.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually enjoy the apples raw unless I order Granny Smith's for cooking. I'm so proud of my three Sweet William plants, can't imagine having to manage it for growth! That would be a good problem.

      Delete
  13. The band weaving continues to evolve. I love it. Those apples are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying my band journey and the way I'm getting the muscle memory it needs. I feel more adept now. Still a way to go.

      Delete
  14. You are mastering the art of band weaving, for sure.
    Here it's been raining most of the day and sadly it's coming from the east, which reminded us that our windows leak. Registering a complaint to the management falls on deaf ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm getting better at the bands. Sorry about your leaking windows, especially when you depend on mgt to fix them. Leaks around windows are very hard to trace back and fix. Do you do a bit of first aid while you're waiting?

      Delete
    2. oops - just went back to check to read your responses to my comments and realized that I groused twice about the window/rain issue. I need to get a life (obviously!)...either that, or a better memory! All we can do is put towels on the windowsills and change them out when they get soaked.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!