Sunday, May 17, 2026

Chop Wood Carry Water Find String

Today I did laundry before I ran out of clothes and before temperatures get into the high 90sf, when I won't want to put on the dryer.

Then I made a gallon of laundry liquid because now I was completely out of it. 

Then I got on with my Band! As you see, this is from the cover of the band book and has been the goal. When I started seems like ages but it's only a couple of weeks ago, I wondered if I could get to that degree of competency. It's a cover band, you might say.


It's working out pretty well. This is a traditional Sami band. Here's where the loom is good. 

I can easily work just one motif then leave it, more easily than unhitching the backstrap. This motif is 22 picks (lines) long so it's good to rest regularly. It stays right where it is till I get back to it.


And now despite my saying I don't have to find uses, a couple of bands have found uses, as you see.


Here's a terrific tutorial from Ash, where she demonstrates hand stitching very well. What I like most is that she knows the difference between blanket stitch and buttonhole stitch. My people! 

Most self taught, even school taught, learners don't, and they haven't learned the different functions of the two stitches. I've even been told it doesn't matter.

To an experienced hand sewer, it's like saying to a carpenter that a claw hammer and a ballpeen are the same thing. Anyway, I'm happy in the presence of an expert who knows what's what.

About the string. Gary was just over. In search of green string. Which I provided. 

Anyone fearing he'd be gone need not. The move yesterday was just the breakables. In two weeks the bigger stuff goes. Meanwhile carloads of boxes are moving. Also carloads of houseplants, hence the string.  If he's moved by late June I think that's a good estimate.

Meanwhile stand by with string.

Happy day everyone, bands, socks, string, it's all good, sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony and Ursula 







32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My late husband used to say I think your mind's nimbler than mine! While I was waiting for him to get the point..

      Delete
  2. I wonder if Gary will befriend his new neighbours to the same degree or will he drive the 20 minutes to drop in on you for whatever he needs.
    You've reminded me that I need to research the difference between buttonhole and blanket stitch. I've always called it buttonhole but I suspect I'm quite wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that anywhere he lives, Gary will befriend and coopt his neighbors! I think you'll like Ash. They're so skilled and very funny too. Off the charts smart.

      Delete
  3. WTF? I learned how to do blanket stitch and buttonhole stitch in 4-H and, while I never did any hand sewing again after my 2 years of learning how to sew, EVEN I know that those 2 stitches are absolutely NOT the same thing! I'm flabbergasted that anyone would think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had great 4H days. But a lot of people get only mediocre sewing teaching. I hear a lot of embroidery stitches wrongly named, too. So I'm striking a blow for expertise!

      Delete
    2. Yes, 4-H did have an exceptional club in our small rural town. We had the largest 4-H membership in the province.

      Delete
    3. Some really good leaders, from the sound of it

      Delete
  4. You make your own laundry Liquid? How is that done please? I can't see myself ever making it but I would still like to know how to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See February 22,2025 blog post for the instructions. I can't see spending a lot on liquids with unknown ingredients and perfume, so this is a good option for me. I use half a cup per load, so a gallon lasts ages. Just a few minutes to make, and I'm set.

      Delete
  5. Now I need to check out buttonhole and blanket stitch...
    That band weaving looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words on the band. I'm still seeing plenty of room for improvement, and encouragement is welcome.

      Delete
  6. Aha! I must get me a needle and threads and have a go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool cover band. Just like the real thing. Now, why did Gary need GREEN string?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my storage area where I store the tools and equipment anyone can borrow, there was sisal string and a reel of softer, green, string. That's what he wanted, but I had it in the house to tie up boxes. Which ended up in his house..

      Delete
  8. I foresee future 'resistance' whistles being attached to pretty, patterned bands. Lucky people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all went out long ago, when I was still weaving narrow bands with back strap. They went over well.

      Delete
  9. Your progress in weaving is pretty remarkable, I'd say. I'm very impressed.
    "Cover band." I do like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd get cover band! I'm calming down and the weaving shows it

      Delete
  10. You've made very speedy progress on your weaving. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice working with this loom, definitely helped.

      Delete
  11. You are an amazing weaver. Have a nice Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm a pretty good learner and beginner. Far to go to being accomplished.

      Delete
  12. Those bands remind me of the "friendship bracelets" we used to exchange back in the '80s and early '90s. They may have been made with a similar loom, for all I know. As you probably remember, the idea was you'd tie them on each other and they'd stay on, day and night, until they fell off by themselves, which sometimes took a year or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember kids and friendship bracelets, and I think they were simple designs kids made for themselves. I was the middle aged mother of a college age son, so they didn't get much into my life.

      Delete
  13. You are grasping this new method very well. I think Gary will always show up your door.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cover band! heehee! Good one. I just learned the blanket stitch on Monday evening! The edge of the favorite blanket of one of my kids was coming unraveled. I had to look up exactly what it was, and it seemed to be to be "closed blanket stitch". So, I read a tutorial, watched a video, and tried my hand at it! It's not as perfect as the industrial-machine-sewn version that goes around the rest of the blanket, but my guy is very very happy that I could fix it in just 1 hour. He said, "And now you know a new stitch!" which is quite true.

    ReplyDelete
  15. can you post the name of the channel or a link to the lady doing the basic sewing guide? i have googled Ash, the full name of the video, and there is nothing coming up for her. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on YouTube, Ash LG, search on Hand sewing Basics. You'll recognize it from the screenshot I posted.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!