I'm going to have a great harvest this year after nothing for several years for my collection. And note the shadows on the fence, sun reflecting off the window and back, creating silhouettes.
Today's band adventure was a happy one, finally achieved a band with much better pattern definition, consistency and even selvedges, always a beginner's downfall.
This is the result of all the deadends I explored accidentally yesterday. I'm really pleased with this because I knew how to fix it and make this work. The sticking out ends get trimmed off when it's off the loom.
And there was another healthy thing online
I did it and stayed awake and active for the whole hour, a big advance on last time when, you may remember, I fell asleep during the quiet meditation-with-birdsong break.
As usual the teaching was excellent, the technical support left a bit to be desired. This time the sound level was good, the lighting adequate.
But whoever was pushing the buttons left me in the waiting room for nearly ten minutes. I was there well ahead of time, but missed the entire intro and she was well underway before they opened it for me. And maybe others too.
What I got was very good, and sorted out my tired shoulders and back from the weaving, so me I am not on on the complaining, as one of HP's aides used to say.
And well, I did order that little loom with the easier heddle, largely because I found out something vital -- the way it's constructed, wing nuts connecting the parts, you're not limited to the length of the loom.
You can unscrew the end member, and clamp it as far as you want from the rest of the loom, to accommodate any length of warp.
Like this
See the further end, with wing nuts? That can come off
and be clamped as far as you want the warp to be. Then you roll up the end plus warp threads back to the rest of the loom and fasten it on again.
Then as you want to advance the warp you loosen it, turn the woven end to pull more warp into use, tighten again.
There's a method where you don't even take the bar off, just loosen it so you can rotate it and feed threads on in groups, then pull them to the other end of the loom, tighten and weave.
This loom is for different kinds of threads and projects from the bandweaver. No end to my plans at this rate.
Happy day, and happy discoveries, everyone.











I have never taken a class with AARP. I am doing you tube beginner Tai chai.
ReplyDeleteI love yoga and used to fall asleep with guided meditation every time with one teacher not sure if it was good or bad.
You are all set up for great weaving ideas.
Cathy
Yes, I think guided meditation guides you to dreamland.
DeleteYou are enjoying the weaving so much. It makes me smile. That's how I feel about my pottery.
ReplyDeleteBe cool Liz:)
Our summer will be hot enough to keep me indoors, so I'm set with interesting projects to make. Yes, I'm liking it a lot.
DeleteYour newest band is definitely a leap of skill. Yay, you! And I can't wait to see what you do with your new little loom with the heddle. Let's hear it for wing nuts!
ReplyDeleteThe heddle bar is so simple and such a great idea, and the loom that you can extend. Simple brilliant ideas that you think you could have thought up, good thing someone did.
DeleteYour woven bands just keep on getting better and better! Practice DOES make perfect! And yes, good idea to order that new little loom and easier heddle after all -- it sounds VERY versatile!
ReplyDeleteVersatile, yes. That's my story. I'm interested to note the leap of improvement after the previous day's struggles.
DeleteI have seen those AARP classes but have not tried one. I'll have to check it out.
ReplyDeleteThe ones I've done have good teachers, worth a look.
DeleteHope rain comes soon for you (and me too) and lowers your temps too. Yoga and meditation classes, always good, even sleeping through is a positive recharge to the system! So glad you decided to get the new loom set up, it sounds quite interesting.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised I kept going for nearly an hour, more than my usual longest tolerance. Probably it was because of the sitting, uses less energy than standing poses, though there were some of those too.
DeleteThat band would make a very attractive adornment on a shirt, or cardigan. Or even on the bottoms of jeans. It’s very pretty
ReplyDeleteI think it will find a home somewhere.
DeleteWe have CARP, you have AARP.
ReplyDeleteCarping canadians? There must be jokes about it.
DeleteI assume that AARP thing was a Zoom meeting? Yes, I hate arriving on time and then waiting to get in.
ReplyDeleteI was there ahead of time, and the instructor started before everyone arrived. I think she was on time but they were slow on the waiting room. I was a bit annoyed then decided that wasn't a yoga attitude!
DeleteI love that you're finding - and buying - all these new tools. They're a great investment, and we get to see the results of all your learning...vicariously keeping our brains active through all your discoveries.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
So the idea is I do it so you don't have to?? I like being able to switch fiberarts depending on how my hands etc are feeling. That's my story..
DeleteI love this woven band pattern. Uh oh, a bigger loom. Soon you’ll have a room dedicated to weaving with a giant loom. (Wouldn’t that be a dream come true?)
ReplyDeleteI really like small and simple more. There are floor looms that pretty much need their own home, used by production weavers like Joanne, whom I miss a lot from blog world.
DeleteFor a moment when I saw your haading I was expecting to read about a brass band, not a weaving band.... that loom you've sent off for looks ingenious.
ReplyDeleteThe musician's response! I'm thinking of calling my enterprise Merry Bands! They are making me pretty merry anyway.
DeleteI found a stone that looked like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle today. Little things bringing pleasure.
ReplyDeleteThat beats the heart shaped ones people get all excited about. Also welcome back.
DeleteYou certainly are having great fun with your weaving! Looks good.
ReplyDeleteI have Zumba class today and it's always fun. It's in person at our local workout center so I always get to visit with my Zumba friends while we dance around. We don't even have to be good at it - we just keep moving.
That's the idea, no need to excel, just enjoy!
DeleteI can see you weaving a belt for your new kimono - the new loom should be good for that (I think?). I can hear the joy in your 'voice' as you talk about your weaving journey so I know you're having fun.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea, thank you. Yes, I'm enjoying this new learning.
DeleteMy honesty has pods, too. I think I will harvest some of the seeds and grow them a bit more deliberately next year, rather than counting on them to re-seed themselves. I got three plants but I think I could have more if I grew them more purposefully.
ReplyDeleteJudging from the plants growing outside neighborhood fences I think they may thrive on neglect! I collect seeds because I will pick the plants for indoor decoration with the seed husks removed to expose the silver disk. I may give some to friends this year.
DeleteNifty little loom. The wing nuts are a clever idea. With those hot temps, you'll have something fun for staying cool indoors.
ReplyDeleteI think with the skills and materials at your home if you ever wanted a little loom, you could put one together! I'm looking forward to mine arriving.
Delete