The Lagom book turns out to be nice gentle deck reading.
About balance, finding it, and an honest appraisal of the downside of balance. She acknowledges that in some societies, the stress on community and fitting in leads to hostility to excellence.
The best student is knocked down, the high achiever doesn't fit in. Not a team player is a serious judgment, particularly in the corporate world.
This is a big point, and the reason some people leave their native country in search of opportunities. Where the average is prized, the unusual eventually becomes marginalized.
Emigrants by definition are the unusual, with drive enough to look for a life that works better for them and their children, then take the initiative and make that big scary step.
You'll notice that they tend to go for their own enterprises, small businesses, scientific research and the nonprofit, rather than the corporate business world. They tend to go for places that are more likely to reward, not penalize, excellence and initiative.
Anyway the book is thoughtful and I just added in here my own thinking about the downside of balance.
There's an upside, including Swedish food, and she includes recipes! There's one for cardamom buns I must try sometime.
Early this morning I spent a few balanced minutes with my plants.
I need to cut chives soon. They're good with eggs. And in wraps.
Meanwhile in the loom repair shop, things look hopeful up to now









Beautiful gloves! Who knew how many colors were available! I think a different color for each day of the week, no wait, that was underwear for little girls. Poor boys didn't get it (and I doubt many girls actually walking around still did either!)
ReplyDeleteThe gloves came in a pack of four, the cloths in I think ten. Anyway plenty.
DeleteI've never used dishwashing gloves except to scrub things with bleach or something like that. Hmmm...
ReplyDeleteI don't generally use them in the garden, either. I probably should.
Go, cotton! Grow and thrive! And thank you, birds, for planting flowers. The ones around here just plant cherry laurels which sprout like nobody's business and threaten to take over the world.
I bet your loom fix is going to work.
My hands can't tolerate dishwashing liquid, so I have to use gloves for anything involving detergents. I don't like it but the alternative is not something I want to deal with.
DeleteI'm hopeful about the loom.
Happy to see the loom repair in process. I love those gloves. SG finds it almost impossible to buy gardening gloves in his size. And in the supermarket, he can’t wear the little plastic gloves they provide for handling the fruit because four of his fingers don’t even fit. He uses them instead like pot holders.
ReplyDeleteOne size doesn't fit all. I don't much like washing dishes, so nice gloves make it a bit more cheerful.
DeleteColour is good in our lives - sometimes bright, other times quiet. The loom repair is progressing.
ReplyDeleteI was in the mood for bright in the kitchen.
DeleteGlad the loom is repaired. Like the gloves and your garden is lovely.
ReplyDeleteI don't know it's repaired till I test it. Stay tuned!
DeleteI have a terrible time with split skin on my right thumb, always my right thumb. I superglue the skin together and it makes an excellent bandage. It's also why I usually use gloves when I do the dishes.
ReplyDeleteThe garden looks lovely. When I have more flowers, I'll post some photos. It was a cold, late spring, but it's finally arrived.
I've tried supergluing minor cuts and the glue never stayed put. I know surgeons use surgical glue on their own hands as well as on patients, so I guess that's more compatible with skin.
DeleteAh yes, the chives are up and contributing.
ReplyDeleteThese are the seeds I planted last year, doing fine again.
DeleteChives are wonderful in potato salad too - my favourite way to eat them.
ReplyDeleteYou're going to be such a fashionista sporting those colourful gloves!
I already dance in the kitchen while I'm cooking, so now I can do jazz hands!
DeleteLearned another new word from you today "pachysandra". You know so many things! Hope the Super Glue does a super job on your loom. ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm old so I've had plenty of time to learn things! I'll test the loom soon. Try saying that fast.
DeleteI often thought that more successful countries work better because from government to big business, they work in a more cooperative manner rather than competitive.
ReplyDeletePachysandra sounds like a nasty weed if not contained.
I think the Scandinavian countries have done best, that I know of. Pachysandra is a terrific low maintenance ground cover and weed suppressant. But it does need pulling now and then.
DeleteLove the colourful dishwashing gloves, here they come in different colours according to size, so for my size I can only have purple. I only wear gloves for dishwashing if I have cuts and bandaids on any fingers, so that's rare and the gloves last forever. I hope the loom is soon up and running again.
ReplyDeleteI'm now thinking I need to match gloves and cloths, it's endless! But it's cheerful. Watch this space for loom news!
DeleteI always say if you have to do housework, at least be colourful
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed your mending is a success
I'm hopeful about the loom. I certainly learned a bit in the process.
DeleteIt looks like you may have success with the loom. I have an American friend who has lived in Denmark for about 25 years. Life is so different there. I'll look into the book.
ReplyDeleteThe book is Swedish, but I expect there are similarities.
DeleteToo bad you can't try dishwashing gloves on in the store.
ReplyDeleteYes, all sealed in plastic!
DeleteI always wear gloves for washing dishes (due to eczema that seems to enjoy any opportunity to flare!), and I've come to really enjoy opening a new pair after a much-used pair springs a leak. They feel so fresh! Ha, it really is the little things, isn't it? I'm behind in my reading, and I'm looking forward to seeing how your loom repair goes... I'll keep reading :)
ReplyDeleteSpoiler: it worked. Funny how cheering a pair of work gloves can be, but it's true.
Delete