Thursday, May 28, 2026

Turtles ahoy, Misfits and map woes

Yesterday though I was tired I still made it to the pond and was rewarded with frogs leaping everywhere and turtles swimming happily then sun bathing on a branch. The water looks a bit weird, I'm wondering if there's runoff from the golf course spraying. But the wildlife seems fine.


Today I tried out another Yeung Man Cooking recipe, for brown lentil wraps. I remembered to put the lentils in to soak overnight, then blended them in my ancient blender with the tinfoil hat, the lid having fallen down and shattered.

I made a stack, cooling then stacking them for future use. The first couple went out for the squirrels before I got the hang of waiting longer before turning them. After that it went well. I flavored them with pink salt, onion salt, crushed garlic and turmeric, with a spoonful of ground flaxseed.




Then I saved one to go with the tomato cannellini stew for lunch. Remember the three bean salad recently? I liked the dressing enough to freeze it. 

Then it became a dipping sauce for the tofu dice I made a day or two ago, and the leftovers with additional ketchup I added into today's stew. At this point I think I've had all the mileage I'm getting out of this sauce. 

Then Misfits let me know my box was on its way, see map. And shock, horror, they've changed the software. There used to be a friendly local map with readable fonts and nice graphics plus the name of the driver and a messaging option to him.  

Now there's a huge impersonal display showing half of Pennsylvania (neighboring State for them as needs footnotes) and showing me where I live, where the driver was hours ago, who cares, no name, no way to contact him.

This is not trivial -- I've messaged drivers with directions when most of the entrances to the development were suddenly closed, weather, and you had to live here to find the one open street. GPS would never do it. I've also done greetings and thanks which they really appreciate. 

Anyway I wrote to Misfits to protest and ask to reconsider. Maybe the new one is cheaper, but I counted on the personal touches and they're gone. If they make more changes I'll reconsider my options. 

Anyway they did arrive, I think the driver was Jeff, and mostly the order was fine, except the wrong eggs. 

I order a certain kind because it comes in the paper mache boxes, and they sent me the more expensive in arghghgh plastic.

I'm getting a refund, and I may put the plastic egg box in the recycle materials they pick up, and let them figure it out. I very honestly told them that I did get eggs, but the wrong ones, and they still processed a refund, so I'm good.





Celery because it's ages since I had any, diced chicken to roast with diced potatoes, three beans for three bean salad again, it was good. 

I just made a big donation to the food pantry, so no other cans this week.  The wrong eggs and shredded mozzarella plus block cheddar for quiches again, with dandelion greens from the freezer. Envy apples, Bananaz, to go with yogurt. Bread for the freezer, but meanwhile I have virtuous home made wraps.

One wrap accompanied the tomato cannellini bean stew

Nothing fancy, just rolled plain like bread. That stew is so easy and very good when you can't be bothered to cook. 

Then I flattened the box and delivered it, with the ice blocks, to Gary, who continues to move.

Later today I plan on repairing the loom. Then we'll see. I'm really in withdrawal from weaving, so I have to start something, just deciding what. The frame loom won't be ready for at least a day or two so maybe I'll work on a band, that Sweet William idea. The band loom is working. Aren't we all.

Happy day everyone, use all the things, make a fuss when companies make a baaad move



Sez La Flufferina






34 comments:

  1. You eat very healthy and your meals are so organized, which just reminded me I need to take some chicken out of the freezer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s so very annoying when they have something that’s working beautifully, they change it “to make it better”
    Why oh why. It was working.
    I’m convinced that someone is trying very hard to justify his job, and he’s the one doing it all.
    I’m glad you told them. Unless they know, they can’t change it back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tech people just can't leave things alone. But they know now they have at least one annoyed customer.

      Delete
  3. I love to try new recipes glad you like the wraps you made.
    I made naan bread last week and it was tasty.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like bread related new ideas because I love bread with a lot of meals, and would rather have a variety.The wraps are interesting.

      Delete
  4. I dread every computer update and change in software (it might be the same thing, I'm not sure). It always ends up being more complicated it needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This change is exactly the same for the end user, installed seamlessly. But I don't like the content!

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos of the turtles 🐢 ❤️ And Flufferina is a gorgeous cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat is an internet picture, but very much like my late great Annabelle.

      Delete
  6. Clearly the food delivery system wasn't broken, so it is change for the sake of change, and I can't see how it could be cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the software is cheaper because it's much less tailored to the individual user. That often means less design at the sources, more one size fits all. If you don't need to coordinate with driver names and messaging, it cuts out part of the activity needed every time they're scheduled.

      Delete
  7. The sight of your blender alarms me because I once burnt my hand from hot soup erupting. I had the top on but not secured well enough. I am very careful now, and I am sure that you always have been. I just needed to learn a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hold the tinfoil hat firmly in place, and up to now it's okay. I never blend hot liquids in this blender. That's when I use the stick blender. For most hot foods, I just use the stick in the pan I'm cooking in. I appreciate your tactful warning though, thank you.

      Delete
  8. I missed yesterday so didn't know about the loom woes, hope all is soon satisfactory again. I didn't break my blender lid, I broke the glass jug! I poured in soup to blend it but didn't let it cool enough first and it cracked from bottom to top on both sides. I should buy a replacement jug, but in the meantime a stick blender does the same job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those replacement parts are expensive! That's why my ancient blender has a tinfoil lid. I use a stick blender for nearly everything.

      Delete
  9. How unfortunate about Misfits. Hope they get back on track. Did you forget to share the map or did I misunderstand? Your tinfoil-hatted blender is an excellent defense against aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't screenshot the map because it gives the exact coordinates for my house. Tmi online! They may not backtrack. I think they're doing a number of changes. I got an email apologizing for another email with some special offer. Meant for a different group. I hadn't received it. Then, next day I did. Confusion reigns at misfits hq. The food and the driver are still fine, also the pink van.

      Delete
  10. Improvements are rarely that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're more like pointless tangents to create employment.

      Delete
  11. I love seeing those turtles sunning themselves on a branch. I always look for that when I walk at my local Riverwalk Park.
    Hope your speaking up helps the Misfits correct their mistaken changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys swim and sunbathe. That's about it at this point. Not bad! I love to see them peacefully in the sun. They're snappers but I don't see them snapping at each other.

      Delete
  12. The lentil wraps sound and look like a good idea. Good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good, plenty of seasoning.

      Delete
  13. Corporations do like to fix what isn't broken. I like the mission of Misfits but I have stopped using it. It's a great source of organic food that works perfectly for those unable or not wanting to go to shop or pick groceries up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did you stop? Not enough of your preferred foods?

      Delete
  14. I hope that the Misfits powers that be get lots of responses to the new change indicating that people are not happy with it. AND that they act on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get an apologetic email and a promise to notify the development team, so we'll see.

      Delete
  15. I, too, don't understand why businesses feel they have to mess with something that has worked well...and do their best to take away the personal touch while they're at it. Here, we're once more facing the possibility of another postal strike. They're voting now and the union is telling their members to turn down the latest contract offer. I suspect, if they go on strike (again!), it will be a long bitter battle. Little do they know that the writing is on the wall and they are more than likely going to vote themselves right out of jobs if the government privatizes Canada Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems your postal service is off as much as on. Also expensive. Ours is expensive now, too.

      Delete
    2. It seems we might have escaped another strike - they voted in favour of the latest contract offer. Phew!

      Delete
    3. Quick, mail whatever you have to before they change their minds.

      Delete
  16. How annoying about your communications with Misfits. Why do they always try to fix something that isn't broken? I need to look them up -- see if they deliver in my area of Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from the delivery map, I've been very happy with their service and products. It's worth checking. You don't need to order regularly as I do, no obligation.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!