Friday, May 22, 2026

Plans, and nature laughs

Memorial Day weekend is the start of the summer season, pools open, shore passes re-up, at least that's the idea.

However here there's a three day rainy forecast, pools not yet open, shore not looking like fun. And here was my weekend plan, maybe not yet 

My seeds complete with squirrel deterrent doings.  But the squirrel is still getting his daily apple core

I did get a walk today, to make a pinch of it, and I love all the tree-lined walkways in this development. Like this one

Curved paths are interesting to walk.

I also have indoor plans anyway, here's my thinking about a narrow band pattern based on the sweet William I'm so excited about 

And my new loom is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so my plans there are to weave a cowl or two to send to the knitting ministry. Weaving is currently easier on my hands than knitting.  

This morning a friend came over to collect the cotton plants I started from seed she'd given me. Here's her two, repotted and wilting but they'll recover 

And here are their siblings, soon to go outside when the weather's warmer


She also had a great time studying the art on the walls and took two pieces, one gold work, one with stump work animals and dyed sections and two levels, cutouts showing another work underneath.

I'm happy to see work going into good hands, in this case to an area of her house where she has stitched work including her mother's lovely embroidery. I'll be in good company.  My art giveaway is going well. All the less for Handsome Son to deal with after I'm gone.

Happy day everyone, good things going on. Happy weekend, holiday or otherwise.




20 comments:

  1. Perhaps you have given Squirrel enough apple cores on a regular basis that he expects nothing else from you or your garden.
    My left hand goes numb after a fairly short time doing any sort of needlework due to a bad break I had in that wrist when I was seventeen. I can usually give it a little rest and a bit of a shake and it will let me go on. But isn't it crazy how the things we did to our bodies when we were young still affect us so much? We had no idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands are simply worn out. The tissue between the knuckles is practically gone from so many decades of use. So I can't complain really.

      Delete
    2. I feel the same. My hands are a testament to the things I've done and experienced in my life.

      Delete
  2. I think you and squirrel are getting along well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's also mad for squash and pumpkin seeds.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reminding me to get peppermint essential oil, as it's time to plant the outdoor pots and the squirrels are ready with their #$%! peanuts (provided by kind-hearted neighbors).

    While you have a cool and rainy Memorial Day weekend forecast, ours is for high 90s (though cooling back to the 60s next week). We're on a temperature roller-coaster this spring.

    Looking forward to seeing the Sweet William pattern materialize.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurting hands are a real nuisance.
    You want to do things and they won’t let you.
    I’m glad that weaving is much friendlier and you still are able to craft.
    I think that squirrel has been spoilt and now considers your whole garden his fully stocked kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands don't hurt, but they seize and cramp and I can't move them freely when they get tired.
      I think this squirrel has driven off the others, since I rarely see them. But he still digs everywhere burying and retrieving mysterious little items.

      Delete
  5. It's the late spring bank holiday here - the last public holiday until Christmas. It promises to be sweltering, so I shall remain indoors in the cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did August bank holiday go away? That was usually a day of cold lashing rain.

      Delete
  6. My fingers tremble something awful, but no pain fortunately. I am so grateful to be able to type when writing is a slow process. Glad the weaving is working for your hands. When a former pottery friend asked how I was being creative these days, I had only "I'm blogging" I know you will find ways to be creative no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have pain or tremor, but my hands seize and go stiff and immovable when they're cold or tired. There's always things to do to work around it.

      Delete
  7. I think I've given up on planting seeds because of the squirrels. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peppermint oil is my secret weapon. It's how I have my flowers each year.

      Delete
  8. You photos have reminded me that I have some indoor plants that I should repot. I'm so lazy about that. My poor plants. Maybe today is the day?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Just do one, then maybe you'll find yourself continuing.

      Delete
  9. I've always appreciated curved paths because it's endlessly interesting to see what might be just beyond the bend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when you know the place well, I find it still interesting to walk round curving paths or corners rather than say in the local park where you can see the whole flat place at once.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!