Sunday, May 10, 2026

Happy Mothers Day, and change of plan

Lovely ecard arrived from Handsome Son, who's working a full day today, so can't visit.  I played it several times!

And here's some good thoughts about art

Yes to just about all of this.

The weaving needed a change of plan, because I forgot, when I threaded, that pattern threads need to be doubled. My single threads didn't show up legibly. So I decided to continue anyway, with a medley of pattern motifs to see how it works.



Each mistake I make shows me why things are done the way they are. All good experience. And this band is giving me the chance to try a lot of the five pattern thread motifs in the book. They'll look different because of the single threading, and that will be interesting.

I think soup will be on today. Carrot, pumpkin, red lentils. This will be a nice color. 


The containers are whey from the paneer making, and I added in potatoes as well as the ingredients you see here, to make it thicker. I used two containers of whey and the third, still frozen, is back in the freezer.


Here's lunch, decorated with the last of the chive blossoms from the paneer.  It was a golden lunch, because dessert was mango chunks with the last of the paneer 

I had a great postprandial walk, local kids at the start playing football 


Then down the greenway between houses and golf course 



Then chats with neighbors and exchanged greetings for Mother's Day, to turtle watching at the pond 



And young golfers out doing pretty well. These are not the duffers.

Home again and the honesty is developing seedpods. I'm going to have a good harvest. The plants coming up among the sage are interesting -- they're running to seed while the sage blossoms are budding out. Outside there are iris budding up, after years of foliage.  I think they too are glad the butterfly bush is gone. 



So, reading on the deck, sleeping happened too, pot of tea, after checking the iris 


These are heirloom purple and white bearded iris, descended from some planted nearly 100 years on a now deceased friend's grandmother's farm south of here. There are others I gave to neighbors now in bloom, because they're in a sunnier location.


Tea featured several visits from a squirrel who kept forgetting I was there and suddenly realizing ohemgee a human, and dashing away, once with a carpenter bee in pursuit. They're territorial insects, and the squirrel was pottering about in the honesty where the bee was being busy.

Lovely Mother's Day, texted wishes, in person wishes, ecard, it was all good.

Now back to weaving, I realized you can try out a series of designs without making a whole band for each. Just because that's the tradition doesn't mean I hafta. This way I'll have a band that's also a sampler, and a few experiments thrown in. 

Happy day everyone. For some people this is a difficult day. If that's you -- it's just one day, soon done. Hang in there, sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony and Ursula.








28 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very good day. Your flowers are pretty, we don't have any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great job of noticing the tiny treats in nature! I had 3 bunnies chasing each other round and round in the yard today. Also a very nice Mother's Day lunch with family here to enjoy my oldest son's cooking out skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real treat, a meal cooked for you. And family there. How is your brother doing these days?

      Delete
    2. Well, he knew all of the songs to a sing-along that they had at the place on Friday. He always loved karaoke so I was amazed by him. Memory sure works in mysterious ways!! :)

      Delete
  3. I like that list of Advice For A Creative Life too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day you had. I love the creative life advice. Im going to share it with my art and craft buddies.
    I always say and totally agree
    There are no mistakes only lessons
    I think your sampler is going to look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your art group would like it. I also had a visit from Gary in the evening to wish me, and ask how my day went. He has an idea for a collaborative artwork. Stay tuned for upcoming conedy!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a Good Day. I like Britta's advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. And Britta is pretty much describing what to me is normal life. I'm baffled by people who don't make, though they seem fine with it.

      Delete
  6. I am thinking that metaphorically speaking, honesty should always develop seed pods and spread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like you had a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thank you, and I hope you did, too.

      Delete
  8. Live and learn, not only with weaving, but with everything. Every mistake I make teaches me a lesson, and sometimes I even remember the lessons:)
    Glad you had a good day.
    I read a book while we drove home from the mountains, which made for a good day for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's useful to remember the lessons!

      Delete
    2. Posted too soon -- what are you reading? Nosy bloggers need to know.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, hold placed at library

      Delete
  9. I love the 'perfect is boring' item on that list. Glad you had a lovely Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't do boring! But you make great stitching.

      Delete
  10. When I was enjoying myself at a Goodwill last week, I came upon some bags of yarn. Mixed types, none especially exciting but one almost full skein of variegated colors that are some of my favorites. I had forgotten to bring any needlework with me on the trip and so I bought that bag after I found another bag with a few knitting needles in it and I have started a scarf (I think) of very simple but chunky design and it makes me happy. All of this made me think of you. As did the Beatles songbook I bought at another store. You have quite an influence on me, dear Liz, reminding me that art for art's sake is really what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so good. Yes, just do it because. It's about being engrossed in the process.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!