Tuesday, May 5, 2026

Tuesday is textiles and friends

Today started with weaving a bit, still in my robe, couldn't wait.



One side and t'other side. This is definitely a learning piece, many do-overs and some goofs I found today when I looked at the back. I can see where I finally got the hang of it and started doing it right.

The first few inches are the best I could do at the time. But when I take it off the loom I can unravel the first few inches and be left with a much better band.  

This was a difficult project for a beginner, the threads being so hard to tell apart, because of the variegation. Plain color is better but I didn't have any. What I do have is a lot of plans for more designs. 

Then on to the afternoon and in the middle of the knitting group meeting, more HOA paperwork. I had to get a document notarized. This is for the townhouse I live in. Fortunately I could get it done at minimal cost at the very library I was already at.

The other HOA, don't get me started. I dread sending them information because they get back objecting. I this case three objections of which two I knocked down, and one I added information. It's very stressful waiting to see what they are fussing about. At this point by Friday afternoon all the current demands of both HOAs will be met. One more thing is not due till July. 

Anyway the knitting group was very supportive and fun and here's what's up 



 M. is borrowing my Spurtzleur to try her hand at spinning on it. She's a skilled spinner with wheel and spindle but this is a new method for her.





The reveal! Toad in his suit! Eyes to come.



 The shawl nearly finished.

Chat ranged over travel to France including my old stamping grounds, Aix en Provence, Germany, bureaucracy, notarizing documents, baby talk, seed exchange, trains, planes, cats, twins, sons, and more.

Quick stop at the PO, watch your mailbox, Mary, then home to Textiles and Tea with






Some of her works are hung on the wall behind her.

Her weaving, in cotton, is abstract, for wall hanging. She specializes in color and illusion as you see from the dazzle effect between her blocks.  There's a lot to see in these apparently simple designs. 

She teaches color and design and was a grade school art teacher for many years, and really focuses on color and shape rather than weave patterns. She stitches her work on to linen canvas attached to artist's stretchers, for hanging taut. 

Her work is worth sitting with. There's a lot to see.

Happy day everyone! Mine was, a lot happening, all of it good.






30 comments:

  1. Glad you have the HOA settled or just about. What a headache. Not=w you can enjoy your weaving and crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I ask why there are two HOA? Yes, I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own two properties, in two developments, each with its own HOA.

      Delete
  3. I feel badly but I can't stand looking at Gretchen's weavings, they make my eyes hurt.
    The knitting is beautiful, as always, and what is it with condos and HOAs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not subtle! And the dazzle is a bit too much for some people though technically it's brilliant. No need to feel bad, it's just not your thing.
      The issue in NJ is that we are so safety conscious that we go overboard. So HOA management has to enforce a lot of regs..

      Delete
  4. Mary's "dazzle" effect really hurt my eyes, I had to scroll past quickly. The nearly finished shawl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen isn't everyone's cup of tea, true. It's not often textiles are difficult to look at!

      Delete
  5. More beautiful work. I can clearly see how difficult your threads were to tell apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping for subtle, but got a bit of a challenge. Now I know.

      Delete
  6. Apart from the pain-in-the-butt HOA stuff, sounds like a perfect day! And Toad! GLORIOUS TOAD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell the knitter you cheered for Toad!

      Delete
  7. I will never buy a house that has a HOA. I’ve heard so many bad stories. I’ll keep my fingers crossed it’s all smooth sailing
    The frog is adorable and your weaving is fantastic. I can’t see any errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my neighbors and we band together if anyone starts trying stupid stuff. It's the paperwork that does me (us) in.
      I'm glad you can't see the multitude of faults I can see in my woven band! Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Your weaving is looking really good - very pretty. I, too, like Toad - most handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll pass on your nice words to the toadmaker.

      Delete
  9. Mark used to audit an HOA and firmly decided he never wanted to live where there is one. It was the people he had to deal with. You have picked up this new skill quickly. You do keep your mind busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot depends on who works for the mgt companies! I think my mind is busy by nature and keeps needing material. I'm so enjoying this new weaving.

      Delete
  10. I have never lived anywhere that has an HOA and didn't realize how demanding and complicated they can be. Hope you have it all straightened out soon and they leave you alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the HOA's doing -- it's the multitude of state and local regulations they have to administer (enforce). I just wish they were friendlier about it.

      Delete
  11. Toad is very cute! What on earth does the HOA want from you at this point? Haven't you lived there for ages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What they want are the dox required by state and local gov and the insurance company. They are largely passing along the safety requirements. For instance, the regular fireplace and dryer vent inspections are township requirements. However long I live here, they'll be a standard requirement etc.
      I just hate the cascade and the way the condo HOA dumps them all on us at once. They seize the time of year when people need pool passes, to issue them only where units are in compliance. They don't have much leverage at other times. And they don't do good clerical coverage, which would save owners from duplication. Rant, sigh, stamp.

      Delete
  12. I love the blue and brown colors in that shawl. I've had to give up knitting because of an issue with my left thumb, but I still love a pretty scarf or shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy seeing your whole weaving piece -- I can see your progression. Looks like a hard thing to track. You're using a visual pattern that you drew out, or is it in your head? (you possibly said this previously, but I can't recall) Goodness, that HOA stuff sounds onerous. I don't think I know anyone who minds paperwork as little as I do. I detest it at times, but mostly I feel pretty satisfied by going it. I like that it's a discrete task that I can tick off at the end! Although... sounds like your HOAs like to pretend you have loose ends to manage and insists on your doing more! Truly though, many times I've offered to sit with friends while they do paperwork (such as after a friend's spouse died). Or help! But usually, someone just needs the encouragement, company, and/or accountability of a friend. It's my (very random) superpower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first two are traditional designs, the third is mainly a trial of warp faced weaving.
      The hard part of this paperwork is finding the documents which range over years and files. Handsome Son was very helpful searching and scanning and printing, though

      Delete
    2. Remind me never to own a condo in NJ! (which actually could come to pass because my spouse and I grew up there, and most of our family is still there)

      Delete
    3. I may write a bit about why I did.

      Delete
  14. Technically clever but that dazzle effect in the weaving is a guaranteed headache for me. Some great things come out of your knitting group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's technically brilliant, and for some people difficult to look at.

      Delete
  15. All the paperwork is a good reason for me not to consider buying into a condo situation. At least in the apartment all we have to do is pay the rent on time and show them proof of insurance once a year.
    I don't think I could handle looking at some of those weavings in any larger size than what you show here. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!