Today I made the promised Garibaldis. It's pretty simple, a fairly short pastry folded over raisins. Because Gs are rectangular, there are edge bits left after you trim the pastry. I didn't bother reshaping them, just rolled out, pricked with a fork, brushed with egg white and sprinkled sugar as with the Garibaldis and they're sort of crunchy plain cookies.
Left, the proper raisin-filled things, right, the scraps. They're all pretty good, crunchy and fruity. I used whole-wheat flour rather than the ap of the recipe.
I think any sweet pastry brushed with egg white and sprinkled with sugar would be fine even if there weren't any raisins. I expect plenty of people do this. Is there a name for them? The scraps not the people.
Thinking about Ash and what they reminded me of, including whatever you do for or with or in defense of any population, she reminded me to please check with the person in front of you if that's okay by them. They're in charge of that decision.
I did check at the Russian invasion of Ukraine, on Twitter to find whether daily shoutouts in this blog were welcome or appropriate and every Ukrainian who replied said do it, so we know we're not forgotten as time goes on. So I have, as you may have noticed.
Now here's my question to my gay, lesbian, trans, readers, if you would be so kind as to educate me on this point.
Am I being helpful in my daily shoutouts about equality, or is it a bit performative? This might be something for email, in which case, please let me know that way. Ell ex ex adams at yahoo dot com.
On this specific issue I am not asking for opinions from cis people, so bear with me on this. I'd like it to be a case of "nothing about us without us", and I may have overstepped. And there may be a range of opinions, too, so I'll study them and see what's next. Thank you.
Happy day everyone. There was a massive crowd of crows all over the roof today, why, why? Is it a portent?
I've found the best sleep aid ever. I usually run an audiobook quietly while I drop off, and I recently stumbled on revenge fiction, ai and terrible stilted voices, pointless plots.
I'm off within minutes. I think my brain shuts down in protest and revs up the dream machine instead. I'm dreaming weaving lately, very peaceful.





I appreciate your insight on this. I was wondering the same thing about Haitians in my state now that the Supreme Court has ruled their lives have no value. Am I fanning the flames of the bigots and haters when I post? Is it better to keep quiet and let the agencies working behind the scenes with them handle it. I dont' want to insult people or make things worse.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteIf support for GLBTI was the only area where you were a supporter, I might wonder why, unless you had a good reason for doing so, but it isn't. You are against injustices in a number of areas and a very worthy political activist. So, my view is go for it. Your support is definitely welcomed by me, and I think support from older and educated people carries quite some weight, as the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo proved.
Thank you, that's much appreciated, Andrew.
DeleteI think the Ukrainians have been somewhat forgotten since a certain person started that other unecessary war so I say go ahead and mention them as much as you like. They still need support.
ReplyDeleteYour shoutouts and support are always appropriate and greatly appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you’ve found a new way to ease yourself into slumber. That would only have me stewing and wide awake.
Now I’m going to daydream about homemade garibaldis.
That's encouraging, thank you. I'm amazed that I found a use for ai!
DeleteYou are so considerate. We have a Ukrainian woman in our writing group and we're going to put together a little book of writings to sell so she can send money to people she knows who are working there. It won't raise much but if we make a big media fuss about the launch then it will remind people that it goes on and on.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a garibaldi fan but the 'scraps' look good.
I don't see anything wrong with showing support for causes by posting as you do. Due to your influence I've been putting not only Canadian support but also for the Ukraines on my blog and yesterday I posted the flag of Venezuala to show support for the people there.
ReplyDeleteReading about your biscuit leftovers - in our house they're called 'doo-dads' and often involve leftover pastry and cinnamon.
Garibaldis! Thank you! Couldn't remember the name. I was just in the grocery store yesterday looking in vain for them, after remembering the ones from my youth. Looks like I'll have to try making my own.
ReplyDeleteYou are considerate. I'm guessing the answers you receive will be positive. I sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on pie dough scrapes and bake. It's good.
ReplyDeleteI am not a member of the group you mention but as you know, I am the mother of a trans man and as such, have gained a lot of knowledge and much better yet- introduction to many people who are all somewhere in that lovely alphabet. I have a lot of mixed feelings about representation and I think that there is no one right answer. I could ponder this all day.
ReplyDeleteI certainly don't mind any expression of support or alliance. I always love to see a rainbow flag. I suspect the only people who would call it "performative" are those who would rather see it disappear.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Steve. That's a very good point that hadn't occurred to me.
DeleteAdvocacy to make any of us (who have less applied our minds to the plights of others) think about and potentially support lives outside our own, has to be a good thing. You do what you do. The recipients of your advocacy will do what they are moved to do (one way or another).
ReplyDeleteI say it's your blog, you do as you feel, express what you support if you choose to. There will always be someone that doesn't like what we say, but there will be many who appreciate it, regardless of subject. Your support is quiet but present. I like that.
ReplyDeleteGlad you slept well and found something that works. I love the cookies. I've been on a pie crust kick lately, including pie crust cookies. Just love the crunch and the fun.
ReplyDelete