Saturday, June 13, 2026

Clasped weft, and taking it to the post office

Yesterday I was feeling up to weaving, and here's a sequence showing you what this clasped weft idea means. 

I decided to use the frame loom I repaired and it's working just fine, particularly the heddle bar.  I used three colors for the warp, the tan one being some yarn I spun 



Here's the heddle inserted ready to go 



This is how clasped weft works. Two weft threads instead of one, one looped over the other



Then you draw the thread across and it pulls the other color along, to where you decide to stop


You can make all kinds of interesting shapes by simply pulling the second, clasped,  thread over. I made it more complex by using three colors so quite a few different effects happen in what's really a simple piece.

It's a lovely technique which I haven't done for a while. I may make a band using this approach, too.

I had an irruption by Gary last evening wanting me to identify a plant, was it poison ivy? We have a lot, reasonable precaution. We also have a lot of Virginia creeper which he gets confused with it. 

I came out to look, because I'd removed a couple of poison ivy runners from my yard. But his plant, also one he'd seen at a neighbor's house, were something else. 

He's definitely planning on paving me a patio out front in the summer. I think he'll be around here quite a bit.  Meanwhile he gave me his relative/tenant's cell number, and his daughter's.  I've known them both for years but never had their numbers. 

He's now ordering window treatments for s couple of dozen windows. The new house is large! I seized the opportunity to remind him to retrieve his plants when he's ready.

Happy day everyone, I think my four windows and a skylight are enough to handle right now.

Before you go, please go to Marcia's blog New Decade New Chapter New Hampshire, and see yesterday's post. It's birdsbloomsbooksetc on Blogger.

She gives all the details on how to protest the USPS proposed interference in the elections.  You can email or write, in the comment period which ends early July. So please go there, get the info, and do that. 

Great resistance, and thank you, Marcia! Public service!




21 comments:

  1. I love the colors and the weave. And taking it to the streets… I mean post office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Boud. Happy hello to the weekend. I love this weaving. I very much feel like it's a hobby I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend this simple frame loom. The bar heddle simplifies the usual threading brilliantly, and it's a friendly piece of kit. Cheap too. I stressed it out and had to repair it, but it's still good.

      Delete
    2. Excellent that you got to repair it. I've gotten back into sewing but I can see myself getting into this too. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Our old house had 26 windows. It took several months to get window treatments for all of them. The new house has 11. Only 4 windows have treatment. The rest are bare and will remain that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't blame you. Windows are expensive and it's not necessary to be fancy, though the suppliers want you to dress all the windows.

      Delete
  4. That clasped weft is coming along beautifully. Such a simple technique with such an interesting result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? It looks impressive but there's not much to it.

      Delete
  5. The clasped weft work is lovely! Thank you for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd enjoy seeing a sequence, from setting up the warp to seeing how it came out.

      Delete
  6. I really like the subtle colour changes in the latest weaving. To me, this looks quite artistic in nature. So glad you're feeling up to par and can get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this piece. I often forget to vary my warp threads, but it's so effective, it's worth it for the changes and subtlety you get. I was glad to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that new weaving. It's interesting how the pattern sort of flows like a graph of sound or movement. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pleasing, and looks more complex than it is. I like that about fiberarts.

      Delete
  9. Interesting weaving.
    Patio sounds nice but what about bugs?
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a few pavers on the west side of the house, for sitting out in shade early morning. Not a very buggy time or place.

      Delete
  10. You demonstrate such weaving techniques and make it look so understandable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm interested in fiber arts styles and sometimes they're presented in a jumble of jargon and assumptions and I like to simplify. I'm glad if it's helpful.

      Delete
  11. I kind of understand what you’re describing re the weaving.
    It looks great. Your getting really good now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been weaving all kinds of styles for many years, and it's a continuing pleasure to share them.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!