This morning I got my covid vax -- now it's twice a year if you're over 65 -- and had a wonderful chat with the pharmacist who wanted to talk about the UK. He said he was underwhelmed by Stonehenge, a bunch of stones in a field, not even as big as he expected! Too funny in light of recent chats in Shadows and Light, Steve's blog.
And I had a ride in to the pharmacy with a friend, on her way elsewhere, but did an experiment coming home. I wasn't in a WiFi environment, and the library wasn't open yet, so I turned on mobile data to summon a Lyft and it worked fine. I had contracted for more mobile data for this reason, so I'm glad it worked. My previous contract wouldn't have, very little data.
I think my next weaving maybe a clasped weft item. That's what I know in Spanish, so I feel it's a leading. Meanwhile to finish the gloves and socks, and the braid.
About Mona's Eyes. Hm. It's the kind of concept only a historian could think was a good fiction vehicle. And this writer really does not grasp that fiction is not about telling you what happened, and teaching you facts. Any more than a painting is a picture of what happened.
There's so much more skill and insight needed, to understand the world you're creating, then to grasp and hold the reader's attention, and to invite them into your fictional world. And so much more about a painting than just the narrative in it. It's an experience, not a documentary.
The grandfather character talks down to Mona as if she's about five, gives patronizing information about the paintings they visit, one a week for a year, a perfect treadmill of art. I did keep going for several chapters, one artwork per chapter, a reading treadmill, before wanting to scream at the grandfather DIE ALREADY! Like Seinfeld's Elaine on The English Patient.
So overall the book was not for me. If it were a Young Person's Guide to Great Dead White European Male Painters, maybe it could work. But, hm, I dunno. I gather it's a best seller, so a lot of people like it. Anyway, see for yourself and make your case! Don't take my word for it.
Happy day everyone! Read what you like, stitch advice into a didactic artwork never mind the grumpy old lady blog writer, what does she know.
The late great nurse Marigold approves this message



Maurice is laying on the table I'm typing on and I believe she wants me to take a nap and is demonstrating how it is done. I want to believe this because I am tired. But she IS my nurse cat so who am I to argue?
ReplyDeleteMarigold approves Maurice's message.
DeleteI have done a couple of clasped weft scarves/shawls and loved the result. Sadly I gifted them without taking photos!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had a nurse like marigold. I have two cats who don't know how to cat and it's very frustrating.
Thanks for the book review. If you didn't like it, I won't bother. I have had some excellent recommendations from you so I figure our literary tastes are similar.
I think I want to make a small clasped weft piece next. I just fancy doing it again. It's been a while. It's a lovely technique.
DeleteMaybe your cats have been led astray by dogs.
I love it when something works easily. It doesn’t happen often I’m afraid
ReplyDeleteI’m definitely not keeping up with technology. Although I am trying.
I love the little stitchery. Maybe I’ll stitch it and make a pillow
I was so happy that the Lyft app worked. In five minutes I was getting into the car, nice driver Manjeet. I'm so used to tech not working for me when needed. It really made my day. It really underlines what a good decision I made to sell the car. For one thing, it's brought me closer to neighbors and be helpful to them in return.
DeleteA 'clasped weft'? This blog of yours sends me down never-ending new rabbit holes! 🐇 🐰
ReplyDeleteIt's a weaving technique I love, like painting in yarn.
DeleteOh, Marigold, what a beauty. A clasped weft sounds painful. Hope it’s not. I like the new Irish blessing.
ReplyDeleteShe was a lovely cat. This was the last photo I took before her last trip to the vet. The stitched blessing is pretty cool.
DeleteA bunch of stones in a field. Really?
ReplyDelete'Swhat he said!
DeleteHusband had his covid jab this morning too. Only over 75s get it routinely now.
ReplyDeleteThink I will avoid that book.
I'm surprised at the age range. Here it's still usual for anyone to get it annually.
DeleteThank you for the review of Mona's Eyes - I somehow suspected it wouldn't be as good as some people thought. Quite often best sellers leave a lot to be desired and it's the lesser-known authors/books that have a whole lot more appeal.
ReplyDeleteI like the new Irish blessing!
I think the Irish blessing could be knitted, too.
DeleteThat book must have been awful because you are usually a pretty positive person! I will give it a pass...
ReplyDeleteI usually avoid discussing books I haven't liked, but several people asked me about this one. It did touch a few hot buttons!
DeleteI'm 64. I guess my once-a-year covid-vaxes will soon be twice a year. Just as insurance is willing to pay for it.
ReplyDeleteMedicare covers it
DeleteOh, that's funny about Stonehenge! The unremarkable-stones-in-a-field thing does seem to be the consensus among some people. I think the fact that we can no longer approach or touch the stones diminishes their magnificence.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever read "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder? It was a best seller about 30 years ago, and it was similar to "Mona's Eyes" in that each chapter was a sort of instructional story -- about philosophy rather than art, in Sophie's case. I found it tedious and terrible and didn't finish it.
This is evidently a literary form, the didactic novel. Better give it a miss, I think. Thanks for the warning.
DeleteTwice a year for over 65's? Here it is still once a year and free for over 70's. I'm looking forward to seeing and learning what a clasped weft piece is.
ReplyDeleteIt's covered by Medicare insurance here, and it's interesting to see the different recommendations depending on what country you live in.
DeleteI'm planning on the clasped w piece now, stay tuned! I'm weaving it in English though.
THanks for the reminder on the Covid booster. I need to get now so that I can get the next before Covid season really kicks in during the winter!
ReplyDeleteYes, exactly on the timing. That was my doctor's thinking.
Delete