Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Hot

 White rabbits!


I watered all the plants early this morning after one of those two-sleep nights. 

It's where you wake at 3am, ready to get up, have a snack, make coffee, read, listen to an audiobook, then go back to bed. 

Then get up again a few hours later, for a second breakfast and a shower.  Except for the shower, people used to sleep this way. The idea of staying in bed all night is fairly modern.

I'll probably water the plants again this evening, though the humidity is in the fifties, not drying them out.

Very quiet day of reading about the Tudors, bit of weaving 

I'm liking how this is working. Definitely getting a bit of experience in managing warp threads and keeping them uncrossed. 

The shuttle is a pleasure to work with, too, much better than the usual blunt ones I've had. And this weaving doesn't bother my hands at all, unlike knitting. 

I did a bit of painting but found, shock, horror, I have no pilot pens. I use them for writing as well as drawing and I think they're all used up. So I ordered a supply. It took a couple of tries to find a source that didn't charge more for shipping than for the item.

All the daylilies are in bloom everywhere just now so I have to mark that.  This is watercolor crayons and graphite pencil.

Happy day everyone, off to make a roast chicken sandwich with a green salad for supper. Tomorrow Misfits arrives with fruit and other things I'm out of now. I have great sympathy for the drivers this week, brutal heat.



Billie the Pup wonders if these are the dog days. To her every day is a dog day.


 

30 comments:

  1. oh, Liz, had to laugh! I am often having two sleep nights too! Last night (wee hours of today!) finally went to sleep about 3. Up about 7. Back down at 9:30 after a wee bite. And am still in shock at the clock when I woke! 12:45! Makes for a weird day when it starts in the afternoon!
    LOVE the weaving! I wondered about your hands. Great that no pain. Also have to observe that there "ain't nothing" wrong with your head that you are able to figure out how to do that!
    Fun to see your abilities in capturing the daylily, too! Say. I wonder if I bought some of those pens if I could draw as well? 😂😂Kinda doubt it!
    Sorry about the heat. We have that, too, along with wind that dries everything out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat is nothing new to a Texan! One of the good things about a flexible schedule not having to force your way through a day worn out after no sleep.
      The weaving is so welcome, easy on my hands so I'm not flinching when I'm working.
      One of my friends said she always hoped new art materials would enable her suddenly to draw! I dunno, maybe it worked.

      Delete
  2. I missed your post yesterday. I'm driving my grandsons to day camp this week and so have to be up early and it has thrown my normal schedule off. Also, it has been very hot here too, so that's disrupted my walks. I'll get back in rhythm next week , I hope. Your weaving looks so good and your drawing is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a nice grandma! And an appreciative blogista, thank you.

      Delete
  3. 99 here today. We took the grandkids to a hot dog stand and ate lunch in our air conditioned car. Obviously we are extremely wealthy since we used up all that gas on comfort. Or maybe it's the first of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wealthy before the big expedition, different bracket afterwards..

      Delete
  4. A dog day afternoon, and I've no idea what that meas...hot sultry summer days, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to do with Sirius, the dog star. It's visible at this time of year. At least Billie the Pup claims it.

      Delete
  5. Billie pup is a cutie. I usually wake around 1.30am and get up to read and drink coffee, but don't eat, then go back to bed around 3-4am and sleep until 9am. Until just recently I used to sleep 7-8 hours every night and I miss that.
    Being interested in The Tudors, I wonder if you have read "The Taming of The Queen" by Phillippa Gregory. 425 pages plus Author's Note and Bibliography. I was quite surprised at how it held my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's a function of age, that change in sleeping. Yes, I'm familiar with that one. I like big sprawling Tudor narratives. Just when you think he can't do anything worse, he does. Sounds familiar.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps there is an ancestral relationship...

      Delete
  6. Billie the Pup wonders really if these are the human days of summer. That is a lot of heat! We’re hovering around 108 for the foreseeable future. Uf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, humans have certainly had a hand in messing up the weather patterns. I guess your second summer in Cordoba is at least less surprising than the first?

      Delete
  7. I read something somewhere that said there is no evidence anywhere about the Two Sleeps thing - and only Monks got up in the night!
    No idea who is right but it would have been too jolly cold and dark to do much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's massive historical evidence that the two sleeps practice was in fact not uncommon. See Heather, the Tudor historian and many others. Interesting that you rarely comment, but usually it's to contradict. Gentle suggestion: a friendly tone is what we have in this blog. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. I'm almost through to the end of the Boleyn Traitor and I have to say that the similarities between Henry VIII and a certain orange-tinged president are horrific.
    Ugh.
    For awhile some years back I, too, was on the two-sleeps schedule. Hank assured me it was normal for humans and eventually, I have returned to the one sleep night which I much prefer.
    Your weaving becomes more and more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot about the Tudor court and the US is sadly familiar. I only occasionally get the two sleeps, but since I don't have many daytime commitments, I don't mind.
      Nice words about the weaving. Watch this space, a new idea is starting.

      Delete
    2. I listened to an interview with Greggory and I believe she was absolutely comparing one tyrant (Henry) to another (the one we have now). "We have to say 'no'."

      Delete
  9. Billie looks contemplative. Or annoyed. The weaving is coming right along. We are very humid. When it's like this it doesn't matter what the temperature is. That thick air does me in. Delivery drivers are having a tough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the temperature is second to humidity. I think Billie is annoyed because as a black dog, she overheats and can't play out as usual. The delivery is sn early shift today so I hope the driver is spared the late afternoon blast.

      Delete
  10. We stayed in yesterday and will do as close as we can to it today. I've been out for a brief shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caution is good. This heat wears a person out.

      Delete
  11. Yes, I've heard that about sleeping -- that people used to have "first sleep" and then "second sleep," or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall Pepys using those terms.

      Delete
  12. That's weird. I saw something today about two sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shipping almost always is way more than the item you're ordering. And then there's the additional angst of many companies flatly refusing to ship to Canada at all. I've given up - if I can't get what I need from a Canadian source, I don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have pens that I like as well and I'm glad you found ones for a good price/shipping. That's the best. Great pictures on both this one and the post before. Hot here too but, next week cooler and rain for us. Wishing you a yummy weekend. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to rain and cool! Hanging in there meanwhile.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!