Monday, July 20, 2026

We got air! Sunshine too!

Today we're back in clean air, and energy and walking 

What a difference when you can't chew on the air.

At home I put the Splitleaf in various locations, ending up like this, with the coleus for company.

It's paying for its keep by disguising the bare patch.  It's squashed up against the house because it's so unbalanced it won't stay upright. But there are roots coming out so if it sinks them in, it will solve its own problem.

And look, thistle flowers, now birds and butterflies should show up 


And the hibiscus is ready to explode 

The sweet William are having a second act. I left them after blooming to drop seed, but here's what's happening 

I didn't know they did this.

Meanwhile I did get a walk, a bit out of shape from being in the house, but I spotted a job for the site manager to take his mind off fun stuff in yards.


I notified him with nearest house number and requested action.  Teehee.

Further on, the daylilies are over but the feverfew or whatever these aster type flowers are, have started.

About HOA site managers, I've known a few it being a revolving door job usually either to be promoted if competent or let go if not. Unless you're connected then you get promoted without being competent.

It's a job that attracts quirky characters who get bees on certain areas. One went mad about window coverings -- all supposed to show white outside, no matter what color inside -- then was gone before anyone responded. 

Another decided porch lights, style, brightness, were his thing, issued all kinds of instructions and buying options, I wondered if his brother in law was in the business, and moved on before anyone changed anything.

Our current manager is in fact pretty competent and quick to get real issues, downed trees, dead geese, dumping, sorted. But he's a parking nut. Sends out pictures of how not to park over the sidewalk, etc. 

Those of us who've been here a minute know to just let it go, not get airiated about it. Yorkshire expression, the meaning probably clear. 

So I've given him something to do, like distracting a toddler.  Here's a downed tree, let's see what you can do with it.

I think I'll paint a bit today. Just in the mood.

Happy day, don't sweat the small stuff.  Most of it's small stuff.


 



23 comments:

  1. Waking up to clean air and sunshine after dealing with that thick smoke is the biggest relief, you can practically feel the energy returning. That split-leaf philodendron looks beautiful next to the coleus, and letting it lean against the house to anchor its own roots is a genius hands-off gardening move. Reporting that downed tree to give your parking-obsessed HOA manager a new hobby is absolutely hilarious, sometimes you just have to give them a little puzzle to keep them out of trouble. Seeing the sweet William make a surprise comeback is such a lovely treat, hopefully the hummingbirds and butterflies flock to those thistle flowers soon. Enjoy every second of your painting session today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you down that tree, Boud? C'mon now, confess you did it with your little hatchet and you cannot tell a lie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busted! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do

      Delete
  3. You have all those people sorted out in their competencies. I hope the current one takes care of the tree and stays around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's already alerted the tree crew, so it's in hand. I don't mind if he moves on, always comic relief to see who we get next.

      Delete
  4. Breathable air! Sunshine (without 100F heat)! A walk! Sounds heavenly! And DO you have a little hatchet stowed in your tool shed?

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking the fifth on the question of tools. Wonderful day today, tea and snooze on the deck.

      Delete
  5. Clean air is lovely and very beneficial I hear
    As for people who need to validate their existence, well. Like you said.
    I’ve been a round the block time or two and yes most of them have a bark bigger than the bite
    All your garden is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised the plants are doing so well considering what they've been through this year. They're tough.

      Delete
  6. Fresh air and comfortable temps. What a day! The plants look so happy (except for the needed clean-up). Do you plan to leave the split-leaf there? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the split leaf can stay there until I rehome it. Such a relief to have it out of the house,just too clumsy for the space.

      Delete
  7. Glad that the air is better and that you got out. We’ll have to do walkies early-ish today to beat the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to get out after being home sheltering from heat and rain.

      Delete
  8. Hurrah for clean air! You've given the manager something other than people's lawn whimsies to worry about. Perhaps he'll forget about garden gnomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With any luck there'll be a playground thing to worry him!

      Delete
  9. I was glad we got some rain last night. I have to water my younger brother's garden this week while he is in Italy with his family. I'm thinking of it as a good workout for my arms (carrying 2 full watering cans back and forth from the water station to his plots is quite the workout)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a farmer's carry. Very good strength training. Up to a point!

      Delete
  10. Chewing on air - that's rather appropriate these days. Sadly the orange buffoon and some of his followers think they need to blame Canada for the air quality, forgetting that there are fires in their own backyard too. I guess those fires don't cause smoke. They've even gone so far as to send letters of complaint to our Prime Minister. They have obviously never looked at a overview map of our country to see just how much of it is forested and totally inaccessible. (stepping down from my soapbox now).
    Glad you found something to distract your manager...hopefully he'll fall off his soapbox too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site manager seems to have a supply of soapboxes.

      Delete
  11. I really don't miss living in a condo. Our board had one woman on it who was a fiend for enforcing every little rule.
    The day lilies are only starting to bloom here and my delphiniums are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people really need something to occupy their time! Our board has been mercifully free of members like that.

      Delete
  12. My biggest, most beautiful split-leaf is one that I started from another I've had for decades. This one I put outside and it looks like it dies every winter but then it just comes back better the next year.
    It seems like there was some TV comedy where a character kept getting replaced all the time for comic effect. Can't remember what show, though. You're living it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's way too big for this house. It's clumsy and unfriendly. I put it outside, it got sunburned, I've moved the damn thing again onto the precious patio space. I'm so not a fan of huge plants.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!