So much cooler today, and tomorrow more so. Last night we had lashing rain and high winds with thunder and lightning.
I looked out to see the solar lantern swinging wildly back and forward as the Japanese maple was whipped about. Both looked fine this morning.
I even got a bit of gardening done, pulled out and disposed of a lot of vines which were choking shrubs out front. Evidently the torrid weather just suited them.
And I made a little bouquet.
Daisies, lemon balm, wandering dude, English ivy. The daisies are a bit tired after the heat. But there are plenty of zinnia buds, and the hibiscus looks promising, with multiple buds. Out front the little patch of black eyed susans is budding up. And the daylilies are about halfway through blooming.
Today's reading is a great, if harrowing, Penelope Lively. Note you can choose your spelling.
It's thoughtful, unsparing, analytical and prime Lively.
And I am determined to get the hang of the bafflement of the easy, easy, beginner, your cat could do it, knotted bracelet.
I have finally found out what's getting between me and succeeding. These are points none of the videos mention. I think they seem so obvious they don't think about it.
One, you need the right thread. My weaving cotton wasn't very knottable. Now I'm trying a mixture of perle cotton and embroidery floss, working better. If I had more perle thread I'd use it. Paracord, of which I have none, might be even better.
Two, nobody shows exactly how to tighten the knots. I made the mistake of tugging both ends equally, which made the knots lopsided and pulled the wrong color to the surface. Once I grasped that you hold the anchor thread firm, and slide the other thread up while tightening it, things improved.
Three nobody explains the path of the thread as it travels across, in the candy stripe design. Does it go over or under the last thread? I got this eventually, on bracelet three, which you see.
Four, this was my own mistake I invented, I kept forgetting which was the traveling thread and started moving the wrong one before I realized this. This is how threads get all out of order and you can't make stripes, and you get a lot of practice in unknotting.
I have developed some expertise in unknotting at this point and I'm bloated with pride that I have, by George, finally got the candy stripe design, more or less.
Wobbly but more recognizable. Diagonal stripes are emerging. And I'm finding knotting isn't hard on my hands, a big plus.
Happy day everyone, it's okay not to get it right away. Anyway that's my story.
She's right, you know, sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony and Ursula.








The heat has broken here. I am hoping to get some gardening done.
ReplyDeleteCathy
We're having a lot of rain. So that saves watering. There's a spot out front that's suddenly gone weedy, so I may have to pull them once the rain stops. They'll be easier to pull, anyway.
DeleteThe bracelet looks like too much work, knowing myself as well as I do, I would have given up and bought a ready made one. You get five gold stars for keeping at it and working it out.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy figuring out what's not working though! When I get good enough to make one I like, I won't keep it!
DeleteI picked 3 daisies and 2 echinacea for a little display in my den. I think I got the idea from you.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds lovely. It only takes a few flowers to change the atmosphere in a room.
DeleteMy outside hanging plants took such a beating from the torrential rains we had last week. I'm glad to see they are bouncing back and looking much better.
ReplyDeleteI can see where those bracelets would be tricky to do. I would have trouble figuring out which thread to grab next!
My issue in a nutshell. I'm fine when it's going smoothly but have a lot of trouble seeing and fixing wrong paths.
DeleteYou may already know this, so I'm sorry if this isn't useful information. It appears as if perhaps your bracelet is twisting/curling up. Do you want it to twist, or do you want only the pattern to have a stripe? If it's the latter, then I'll just mention that the technique I'm familiar with (and use) is to make 2 knots in the same way (2 right-hand/forward knots) with the same strands, then move on to the next "warp" thread to make 2 new knots. If I make only 1 knot, the work becomes a spiral/curled twist. Again, I may not be seeing your photo clearly or I may be misunderstanding your challenges. If so, please ignore this knotting info!
ReplyDeleteIt's not twisting just the knots are not very expert. I'm doing that complete knot as you suggest. I'm familiar with the spiral you can get with a single knot, from macram. Andand e days, when it was a design feature. One other issue is that I'm using two kinds of thread. The perle doesn't hold a knot as well as the embroidery floss. What did you use? And thank you for the input, most appreciated.
DeleteI forgot to say this is the diagonal candy stripe pattern which lies flat and looks twisted, optical illusion I think.
DeleteAh, it's supposed to look like a spiral! I was wondering if that might be the case, given the name of it. I've only ever purchased embroidery floss to use for this purpose. My hands like to be busy, so I've used other materials at times (embroidery perle cotton at my aunt's home, "chunky crochet thread" of my stepmother's). None seemed to work as well for me though.
DeleteIt's annoying the way plants you don't want want flourish while plants you do want struggle. Pretty posy.
ReplyDeleteI'm often impressed when dear little flowers like the coreopsis pop up in surprising places,usually right where they'll be trodden on!
DeleteI am glad that your weather is coming back to normal - our temperatures are nearly the same (converting to C, it appears you are 17 to 21 today - we are 12-22).
ReplyDeleteLoving the persistence with the bracelets!
I have just finished Mad Mabel and started The Midnight Train.
Titles noted, thank you. Yes I am dogged when I get going, for better or worse.
DeletePerseverance pays off - and patience!
ReplyDeleteI get engrossed, too. Is engrossment a word?
DeleteI have seen a few methods of making friendship bracelets that are very simple and I was thinking that perhaps Maggie and I could try them. Or any of the kids, really. Levon especially loves a good bracelet. But I am not about to try one of the complex ones. I leave that to you!
ReplyDeleteI thought I was trying simple bracelets. They were all supposedly for beginners. I need a remedial class!
DeleteI love a good thunderstorm. Especially with lightning.
ReplyDeleteWe used to get them all the time, but now they’re a rarity
There are no mistakes in life. Just lessons
I'm less of a fan since our house was hit by lightning!
Delete