Friday, July 24, 2026

Goodbye and hello, composing a compote

Today after took a walk, I did a load of laundry, watered the flowers, admired the hibiscus 

packed the latest parcel to send to the Knitting Ministry, and various other things, then made a large quiche.

It finally dawned on me that I could use a large glass pan instead of pie plates. Eight helpings here. One has gone already, for lunch, really nice touch from the cheeses.

The cheeses are grated Parmesan, sharp cheddar and crumbled blue cheese. Seasoned with kosher salt, white fresh -ground pepper, ground flaxseed and turmeric.  The greens are a spring mix of arugula and spinach, with red onions, steamed first, plus parsley. So it's like a daily supply of a few items.

Yesterday I had another epiphany. You can macerate fruit mixes even if you don't make them into a crumble. Clever me.

I was planning to stew apples and blueberries anyway but I thought I'd do the extra step a la Rose Levy Beranbaum, the GOAT baker who has written volumes on everything baking. Anyway I learned from her about macerating fruit to amp up the flavor. As follows.

First I prepped and put the fruit in a big bowl, tossed with some, not much, sugar, the fruit is sweet, a teaspoon of cornstarch, diced and minced fresh ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, turmeric. 

Then you leave it alone and read your mystery story for at least an hour.

Then drain the liquid you now have, into a saucepan, over lowish heat, swirling not stirring, to keep it from burning, till you've reduced it to about half the volume. 

The smell at this point is practical intoxicating, then you add it into the fruit, mix then return everything  to the pan, cook it gently till fairly tender, then let it cool.  



Then turn it out into a dish looking like red jewels and tasting amazing. 

The extra step of macerating the fruit is so worth it, since you're working anyway. Now I have many desserts in the wings. A spoonful of plain yogurt on top, or  atop, as the ditzy recipe writers in women's magazines like to say, perfect. Poifect.

Now that the ministry parcel is ready to go, I feel free to think what next to make. 

Still too hot and stuffy upstairs to get on with the warp weighted loom and I'm wondering about a different location now. TBD.

Maybe the next thing is the Tunisian crochet socks, made with a better yarn. 

While I'm considering that, I think I'll take a pot of tea out to the deck and just sit. Yes, that's a plan.

Happy day everyone, when all else fails, including your legs, just sit.






41 comments:

  1. I didn't know what macerating fruit was so thanks for the explanation. I may try this the next time I serve angel food cake. I usually just put plain fresh fruit on top but this sounds fancier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy food and great advice, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea for eating fruit safely at the moment, as well as being interesting.

      Delete
  3. I just looked at two blueberry muffin recipes and wondered why one called for mashing a bit of the berries. I think now the reason is what you discovered for macerating fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fruit looks gorgeous and tastes better, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must try the maceration method sometime. Thanks for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fruit is stunning. It must taste incredible. I’ll see you in the morning for breakfast. (Don’t I wish!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could certainly share if you ever showed up.

      Delete
  7. Macerating fruit is a new term for me but I have to admit it does look good that way and I imagine the flavour is a lot more intense. Now I'm hankering for some over top of angel food cake (as Ellen suggested). I haven't had angel food for years so perhaps it's high time.
    Tea on the deck sounds pretty ideal. Better grab some air while it's breathable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it, it's really good. And the time on the deck watching birds and dragonflies, few butterflies, was lovely. Just right, cool enough, low humidity.

      Delete
  8. That hibiscus is truly gorgeous and that macerated fruit makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fruit is really good. And I take no credit for the hibiscus, she's lovely.

      Delete
  9. The fruit looks so good, and I am associating it with swirls of cream stirred in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Use it as a sauce for ice cream. It’s delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. There must be a better name for macerated fruit. Macerated doesn't begin to explain how wonderful the result is. You taught me this a few years ago, and I have blessed you every time I've done the extra work.

    "Don't just do something; sit there" is my summer afternoon mantra. And if a siesta happens, all the better.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you started doing this process. It really improves the flavor dramatically. I hope other people give it a try. It's just a couple of steps more, and the reward is great.
      I'm learning to just sit, but it's not easy!

      Delete
  12. Your fruit looks so delicious!!! The colors!!! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blueberries really do a nice job of coloring, don't they?

      Delete
  13. I think I might give this technique a try. The fruit certainly looks beautiful.
    Not much going on here, although I did make it to the pottery studio with a couple of friends which was an afternoon well spent:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like fruit done this way. And yes, any time in the studio is well spent.

      Delete
  14. The bowl of crimson fruit looks too pretty to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fruit and yogurt are such a nice meal or desert on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and so simple to assemble, always a big point for me when I'm hungry.

      Delete
  16. For some reason, I always thought that macerating fruit simply involved a bit of mashing it and mixing it with sugar and letting it sit. I might try this. I like to have a late afternoon snack of cottage cheese and fresh fruit which is fine although I am getting a bit weary of the cottage cheese. I feel like I need that bit of protein and dairy though. The macerated fruit would elevate the whole thing. And I could substitute yogurt, too. I'm sort of interested in trying to use cottage cheese and eggs in baking. Lots of recipes online for both savory and sweet breads and desserts and they all look so easy. Some with fruit, some with herbs and sometimes cheese. If I do I will report in. I can't remember if you've done this or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fruit is great with yogurt, so go for it! I've made cottage cheese then I just eat it as cheese, haven't cooked with it. I'd be interested to learn more once you try it.

      Delete
  17. I think I will take that last bit of advice! The fruit looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to take my own advice. Just sitting is hard.

      Delete
  18. Are you okay? I hope you can enjoy the day. Hot Saturday here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That quiche is droolable - oh for an oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you cooking on? You've been without an oven for ages.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. They're really worth the effort, if you make a lot.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!