Summer is when watercolor painting appeals, and I do tiny to small landscapes, just playtime, not expecting much. I might assemble the month's output into books.
I did get a new set of watercolors because I liked the physical layout but the colors are a bit meh, so I added in the old better quality tubes which had hardened. I cut off the metal and I'm using the pigment like pan colors. I'll replace some of the pans with this better pigment.
Recently I scored another set of storage drawers at the dumpster, which stacks nicely on the other one I found at the dumpster, and with useful deeper drawers.
Art materials and crafting tools can go here.
Enough of this frivolity, I had fasting blood work early this morning, friend drove me there, not one of my better times.
The techie needed a couple of tries to get anything. Tiny thready veins. I was already feeling a bit loopy from hunger. Then home again to egg and toast, the last slice of bread before the Misfits delivery. Talk about just-in-time inventory.
The driver friend plans to give me echinacea from her overgrown front yard across the street. I think I'd rather have planting than the patio idea, after thinking about it. Better grow than pave over more land. In September we'll do it.
And a Misfits rental van again showed up, not the usual authentic pink Misfits van, but the driver was, I think, Ronaldo, and the food, in two boxes, why, was fine. As is Ronaldo.
Cans for the food pantry, added to what's already set aside for them. Olives, cream cheese and honey wheat bread for great afternoon tea sandwiches. These are the best olives. Very Downton Abbey. I leave the crusts on though. That's how I got curly hair.
Yogurt because it's a staple, and will go with the blueberries and Envy apples. I will stew the fruit with that brown sugar because my faith in raw produce is on hold for now. I'm also finding I really like cooked fruit if it's chilled. I thought I didn't like it when I had it growing up, because it was a hot dessert.
Potatoes to roast, with chicken breasts which I'll pound and bread, with Cajun seasoning. Beautiful free range eggs and block cheese for more quiches with leafy greens I already have. Many bananas for banana bread and smoothies.
Life in the food lane I'm glad I can afford decent food.
Happy day everyone, enjoy what you can when you can. Paint silly pictures. Here goes nothing.











your mifits deliveries and food plans are so nutritious and interesting - i contrast that with what i see some people putting on the conveyor at the supermarket and wonder what some peple live on (or are killing themselves with).
ReplyDeleteI've outlived friends whose grocery shopping seemed all to come in packets and boxes! I do like buying ingredients to work with, then I know what I'm eating, always a Good Thing.
DeleteLove your watercolours, especially the one with the plant cuttings in the vase (for rooting, I assume).
ReplyDeleteThank you. Yes, almost certainly for rooting. How well you know me.
DeleteThe mini watercolors are lovely, Boud, and you might also consider framing a couple. That food delivery also looks great, once again. We try to avoid as much processed food as possible when grocery shopping but every now and then we succumb, alas.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the nice words! And yes, when you shop in person the processed food looks so good, just jumps into your cart. I think it's easier to stay on track when you shop online, no fancy endcaps to tempt you to just try
DeleteYou are such a talented artist. Your watercolors look great!
ReplyDeleteIf those drawers pull out, I would stack the large ones on the bottom so they don't tip the whole stack when you pull one out. But if they are just bins then I guess the arrangement won't matter. I once had a filing cabinet tip on me when I had the top two drawers pulled out so it's something I always think about! :)
I have to stack them this way because there are casters on the bottom one, not the top. But they're all quite small and lightweight, so I think it's not like the risk of a heavy filing cabinet. But I'm careful go open one drawer at a time. The top drawers come out completely, too. So one is now my watercolor materials box, lift out the whole thing to use.
DeleteThank you for the nice words too.
Those watercolours are quite lovely. I wonder sometimes what I would eat if I only had to cook for myself. I hate having to decide what to make for supper everyday.
ReplyDeleteAfter Handsome Partner died it took me a while to figure out what I liked, after catering to him for so long. Now I like cooking just what I feel like!
DeleteGood idea and a good way to use up the hardened tubes of paint. I shall pass that idea to a friend who paints.
ReplyDeleteThat stuff's expensive, worth using every bit. It occurred to me years ago that the little pans were just hardened pigment.
DeleteYour watercolors dance. How beautiful! I always left the crusts on. My hair was lush and wavy. What should I have done to KEEP my hair?
ReplyDeleteI think being male was the issue. Hm.
DeleteWatercolors is a paint medium I could never get the hang of. I really like watercolor paintings and was a little sorry to discover I don't have the knack. And you have the perfect organizer for craft supplies.
ReplyDeleteI hope your blood test yields good results. Things like this are important but a real bother!
I think watercolor requires the suspension of the control issues which we all have. Any time you have a definite plan for a painting other than a general idea, you're probably not going to get it. Botanical illustration excepted.
DeleteLife in the food lane. Good one.
ReplyDeleteBows modestly.
DeleteI especially like the first and the last painting. I got into the habit of packaged food during the '90s and early 2000s. I was so busy and it was convenient and quick. I started cooking again after the 2008 crash, noticing how much convenience cost. You are keeping yourself healthy and happy with good food.
ReplyDeleteYes, you pay for convenience. I'm glad you got back into cooking and baking. I've got ideas from you!
DeleteYour watercolors are really, really fine. I admire them.
ReplyDeleteAnd you, of course.
I think anyone who really lets go of self criticism and expectations can make art. Good art, even.
DeleteGood thinking on the use of the tubed watercolors! You are so resourceful, and I love your lively artworks. I wonder why Misfits wasn't in the usual van? Mechanical trouble?
ReplyDeleteThank you for the nice words. I think the pink truck is in the shop now and then. A few new dents have appeared, too, the kind you get if you graze a loading dock. I got in touch today to ask if the rentals are refrigerated. I kind of doubt it.
DeleteI always ate my crusts in hopes for curly hair but it didn't happen. Guess I didn't eat enough of them because I ended up with 'body' but no curl.
ReplyDeleteI have some of those plastic organizer 'shelves' too and they are definitely handy for so many things. The Misfits haul looks good once again.
I already had curly hair when I was eating my crusts! It doesn't seem to work in reverse.
DeleteWe treated ourselves to a quart of new potatoes from an Amish stand today. I am shocked at the price of produce. 2 green peppers for $3. I have seen corn selling for $1.25 an ear.
ReplyDeleteYes, prices are amazing. Bell peppers have always been expensive here, though, for some reason.
Delete