Saturday, July 25, 2026

Quiet Saturday with interludes

Lovely weather for walking, and checking on the downed tree I reported, which has been neatened more than cut up but it's good for the earth anyway.

And another try, different yarn, at the Tunisian crochet socks, testing using the yarn with each hand to see if that works.

So far so good. I now have an idea how to do the heel, too, a bit of a mystery before. 

I was on the deck a while watching birds bobbing about. The thistle now has multiple flowerheads so I'm hopeful that pollinators are at work and later birds will peck the seeds. Anyway that's the plan.

Another visit from my across the street neighbor, I think she's filling the Gary vacuum but less irruptively.  She's being very helpful with driving, too. And we complain about Gary!

Among other things she wanted to show me some of the artwork her daughter did long ago in preschool. Preschool! Take a look.

They learned about famous artists and copied some works. I have huge reservations about giving children the idea that copying famous works is the same as making art. But L definitely had a good eye.

Clockwise from top, OKeefe, Leonardo, Degas, Matisse.  

I had yet another epiphany, this one a bit late. I got a hip kit of handy tools last year to help with the hip surgery, and now think it's a good idea to check what's in it anyway, even if you aren't having surgery. You don't actually have to qualify with a joint replacement. 

I realized this in the last couple of days when a friend was asking for tips before her knee surgery. She's in the UK, lives alone and up to now she's only got the date. No prep advice yet,  though it's soon. She will stay with her son and partner for a couple of days after surgery, but then she'll be managing alone.

So several people suggested handy tools, grabber, dressing stick etc.  That's when I realized I could have used some of the hipkit tools years ago. Such as the long handled shoehorn which has a hook at the other end that I use to open and close curtains. The sock tool. The long handled bath brush. Just sayin. Check them out, you might be surprised. You don't have to apply to use tools. 

Happy day everyone, my neighbor brought watermelon, just a slice, plenty for me. I must put her on the baking list when it gets cool and I retrieve my mojo.





33 comments:

  1. Keep your eyes peeled for goldfinches at the thistle heads. They use the fluff to build their nests. Hence they nest later than most birds, by a couple of months! Being non-migratory except in the Far North, having fledglings in August is not a handicap.

    Did L do any art after preschool? Those "copies" are impressive.

    I hope the different yard is kinder to your hands.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goldfinches are the NJ state bird, now in decline, so they're my target audience.
      I don't know if she made art later, but I think not.
      The yarn was fine before, just not making a nice fabric. So we'll see if this yarn will be better. I'm hopeful that my hands will be up to it.

      Delete
  2. I could have used a long handled bath brush when I tore my rotator cuff years ago. The art is excellent, what age is preschool there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preschool is three and four years old in this district.

      Delete
  3. Here's betting that little girl's own style will eventually emerge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's in her thirties, I don't think it's happening!

      Delete
  4. Across the street neighbor sounds like a pleasant addition to your days. Is her daughter artistic now. She seemed to have quite a gift as a pre-schooler. I never did do copies. I should have learned. Could have made good money as a forger. I could have used some of those hip kit tools in recent years. I pleased to have come out the other side of that but those would have made life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This neighbor is turning out to be nicer than in the years before, when I only saw her when she wanted something! It's a welcome change.

      Delete
  5. The youngster might not have developed into a creative artist in her own right but she might have a better appreciation of and language to describe her impressions of the art of others. Not enough of that kind of thinking is taught in the rush to cram young heads with exam passing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This preschool was a small private home based one, very unusual in the activities the director led kids in. Knowing L as an adult, I kind of doubt she has any interest in art now, but you don't lose early exposure. It would have been good to offer Asian images to the kids, too. That's her heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does this mean we've heard the last of Gary? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come bursting in one of these days.

      Delete
  8. A quiet day is good, or at least as quiet as it gets in your life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I have such a small life, but it keeps disproving my belief!

      Delete
  9. Granddaughter gave us one of those long shoe horns, and sue has one of those grabber thingies. I don’t need the latter bc I am somewhat tall — still though shrinking. 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're useful particularly for shorter people, like sue and me.

      Delete
  10. That artwork was pretty darn impressive for a three or four year old. I'm sorry to hear that she never went on to nurture what might have been a real gift.
    Is there anything better on a hot day than a slice of cold, sweet watermelon? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copying a picture in front of you is about persistence more than anything. She's in the corporate world now, and I would say it serves her well.

      Delete
  11. I've got a small stock of those helpful tools. I've already started using the long handled shoe horn and the grabber. Hope I don't have to use the foldable cane any time soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I expect you'll use it with good grace. It's better than falling!

      Delete
  12. That artwork is quite beautiful. I have folders of Jack's artwork that I save, not everything but some of it, and I mark the year and put it away for safekeeping.
    I'm sick today, sigh. I hate coughing and hacking but I'll live:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you keep artwork from Jack, and I'll bet it's original and lovely. Sorry you're sick today. Let's hope you're well soon.

      Delete
  13. I recognized the inspiration for those artworks right away! Still, they're pretty impressive copies for a pre-schooler. Did your neighbor say whether her daughter attained a love of or greater ability at art after these exercises?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't say but she's not very knowledgeable about art, so she doesn't get into conversation much about it. My experience as a long time artist and workshop designer is that people who learn to copy have a very hard time expressing their own art. Not sure if those preschoolers did, but I hope they got a lot of time making their own art.

      Delete
  14. That is one talented child. I wonder if she's still doing art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a corporate job. And I gather not much Interest in making art.

      Delete
    2. too bad...she seems talented.

      Delete
  15. It's good to know you have a Gary sort of replacement. I don't think anyone can actually 'replace' him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming her person listening to her complaints about the neighbors!

      Delete
  16. I'm a frequent recommender of standing-height shoehorns, and bootjacks (still using the inexpensive one from my college riding team days), also grabby sticks. Also small inflatable cushions. You're right, it's a matter of knowing what's out there that might be useful to a person, regardless of who it's being marketed to. I was very slow to consider a walking stick until a UK blogger taught me that a person doesn't need to be either disabled or a mountaineer to find a stick very helpful in postponing fatigue.
    (Bye for now, I'll take my soapbox with me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than one hiker has told me they we're able to extend their hiking years by using two hiking sticks, good reminder. Also, baby diapers are very good cleaning and dusting cloths. And they tell me you can buy them without having a baby first.

      Delete
  17. Wow! That little girl certainly had artistic talent! Perhaps, one day, she will explore that avenue once more.
    It's always great to come up with alternative uses for things. We've had a long shoehorn for years to help the RC but now he's discovered the slip on shoes made by Sketcher's and those work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my man Skechers, too. They fit better than women's shoes.
      I think L is firmly in the corporate world now in her thirties. But who knows.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!