Sunday, July 19, 2026

We can breathe now, and weed too

This morning the massive rainstorms seem to have cleared the air 

My eyes have stopped burning, and I got some energy.

The heat then the rains caused a lot of weeds in the front, where the ground cover was eradicated by the wall renovation last summer. Until it gets going again, the weeds are taking over.

So this morning, while the front was in shade, the air cleaner and the temperature warm not sizzling, I did a bit of gardening.

We had inches of rain, now drained off and leaving the ground just right to fork over and pull weeds by the roots.

Here's two large bags of weeds

And the space they used to occupy 

This feels much better, and maybe that splitleaf can summer out there. 

I later disposed of the debris back among the trees, never sprayed so okay to toss there. There was a crowd of bee-like maybe moths buzzing among the vegetation. Fat brown bodies, small wings, quiet though and moving too fast to focus on.  

I don't think they were striped, and there was a crowd, so if anyone has any thoughts please say. They were too similar to the background to get pictures, also too fast moving.

Back at home resting a bit, smug having got the weeding done, I continued my Tunisian crochet sock. I've learned to do double rib in Tunisian, for the top of the sock and we'll see if I can manage. 


After the rib, there's quite a long section of knit stitch which in Tunisian is very undemanding compared to the moves of knitting.

Our humorless site manager now has a new bee, speaking of bees, in his managerial bonnet. He sent out an email requiring all ornaments, whirligigs, miniature gnomes, edging, to be removed in the interest of keeping a neat neighborhood. 

What a killjoy. He sent pictures of the places in question, some of the most charming, whimsical little areas.  Including a couple I've shared with you because they're just so silly and appealing and fun. 

I think I'll pull his leg a bit over this. He can't stand realizing a bit late that I'm laughing at him. I think he could have complained about my patch of weeds, much less attractive than a tiny miniature habitat.

Happy day everyone, find someone to tease who has it coming. 



Sez the Dutchess of Floof 





22 comments:

  1. The housing estates I see clips about on YouTube have HOA committees and they sound quite terrifyingly pedantic. I don't think I'd choose to live under one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither would I. None of those I know are anything like that. I think you'll find they're likely to be in red states, at least the abusive ones I've heard of have been.
      My own experience is of managers trying to find a way to make their mark in a development which is running fine, with a decent board, so they start wittering about curtains and porch lights!

      Delete
  2. Ornaments to be removed in the interest of a neat neighbourhood?? I bet his mother was one who insisted every single toy be put back in the box and the lid closed every single day. What a sourpuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previous managers have turned a blind eye to the ornaments, but I'm guessing he ran out of things to do.

      Delete
  3. You only need one grumpy pain in the proverbial to ruin everything for everyone
    I’m sure his life has little joy, and he definitely wants to spread the grumpiness to all
    Great job on the weeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up to now he's been harping on parking and up to date resident tags. I guess they're all in compliance now and he needs a new project!

      Delete
  4. Weeding is so satisfying but the empty spaces need to be filled before the weeds return. I hope the ground cover does the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally have no weeding to do anywhere other than this bare patch. Pachysandra chokes out all weeds. So I hope it gets moving.

      Delete
  5. I looked at our two-week forecast this morning, and it looks pretty fair. I don’t think we’ll hit to 80s, or at least not the high 80s, too often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people, like your site manager, have no sense of whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the job attracts whimsical applicants.

      Delete
  7. The site manager is getting too bossy. I'm glad to see that your are figuring out a new way for you to knit and I hope it works for your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then I remind him he's the employee, not the boss.

      Delete
  8. He seriously worries about a bit of whimsy? My, my. You did an excellent job of weeding. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs are letting me know about this weeding exertion today.

      Delete
  9. Have fun with guy. He deserves to be taken down a peg or two. That's such a silly requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's reading the covenant documents a bit literally.

      Delete
  10. You'd think the manager could find something a whole lot more important to get his panties in a twist over. I can see it being a problem if a property had dozens of ornaments but having one or two just shows individuality.
    Very glad the air has improved where you are. We had a rain shower earlier this morning and that's helped here too. They are still saying the air quality isn't that good but at least the skies aren't orange like they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have crowds of ornaments in a small area. But I still don't mind when an owner personalizes their property.

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry. What good is life without a few whirly gigs and garden trolls? Harumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we can distract him with real issues. Dumping, etc

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!