This morning started with a 6:30 am call from the dentist's office asking if I could possibly move my time from 8 to 9. I concluded that either they had an emergency or someone hadn't made it out of bed. Anyway I agreed and texted Handsome Son to ask if he was willing. He was.
Then, neither mother nor son being fully awake yet, there was a who's on first text exchange.
And so it came to pass, and as I expected, he prescribed a crown. No infection, no decay, no need for root canal, so he "shaped" meaning drilled and drilled and checked and drilled, made an impression, then fixed a temporary crown as they do, emptied my wallet, come back in three weeks for the permanent.
So I've had yet another coronation. Porcelain with noble metal. Even my tooth has been ennobled. Bow please! Sounds like the Mikado, bow, bow, to his daughter-in-law elect
Moving on, it's ages since I made that trip and it was very nice, changes, interesting. Some people go to Croatia for a lovely change of scene. Some go to the dentist.
Now the numbness is gone, my jaw hurts, dangit. It didn't before, but after being drilled and pressed and stuck open and generally dealt with, it's complaining a bit.
I'm not, because he's a terrific dentist, very skilled, very calm, and I've sent him several friends who feared the dentist until they went to him and did much better.
He also doesn't do more than he needs to, always a good thing when you're dealing with someone who knows a lot more than you do and it's all expensive.
Home again and I harvested the last of the honesty, this time strewing the seeds about to do what they want. That worked well last year. I'm sharing seeds tomorrow with the knitting group.
And I observed an interesting little insect strolling about on a daylily. It looked a bit truncated and at first I thought it was this
This firefly doesn't light up, though its infant form does, so I thought maybe that's why its tail looks blunt, no light bulb.
Then I was kindly schooled by a Spoutible friend who said, no, no, it's this
Ellen's a Senior Master Gardener so I didn't argue, and I think she's right. It's a grape leaf skeletonizer, but likes Virginia creeper too. There's no grapes for miles around but plenty of Virginia creeper, which is a pest, so he's welcome to eat as much as he can.
I also firmly stated that the lacy stuff looking like a spiderweb in my own daylily photo was a ring fungus mesothelium. Which it isn't, it's a dollar spot fungus epithelium.
That reminds me of the Ahasuerus joke, in A Murder is Announced, so niche nobody even cares! Ed note: I can't get anything right today. I was mixing up two biblical names. Ahasuerus was the vicarage cat. Artaxerxes was the joke. A the Third, to be exact.
On firmer ground I finished the bracelet with a sliding knot fastening. You slide it open to put the bracelet on then it only takes one hand to tighten to fit.
Happy day, it's okay if your passionate observations have an audience of one. At least it's better than the Dead Sea Scrolls that they're still unwrapping.
Sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony and Ursula.










oooh boy, it sounds like whatever 'angst' I'm dealing with must be catching! As of this moment, I have a new computer, I have internet, I have a working landline. The tv...not so much. The cable provider had an outage just after the guy got my computer up and running and it's just been a comedy of errors ever since. The tv is telling me I have to go back to the beginning and set it up again...and I have NO clue how. I really want to dig a hole and climb in.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm back, sort of...maybe....
I sympathize. I'm in an endless loop with a service I'm trying to extend my subscription. No matter what I enter including the codes they send, I get an error message, this does not match our records..
DeleteI’m sorry you are hurting. I’m sure in the end it will be all for the better.
ReplyDeleteHow clever to put a sliding knot on the bracelet. It looks lovely
I expect I'll be fine very soon. They make a big to-do about these sliding knots. But they're just a couple of half hitches. Girl guide stuff
DeleteGreat little comfy bracelet! I've got my dental appointment this Friday morning. So I can get a last tooth filled where I know she wanted to do a dozen more...but I'll move away so will miss her ministrations. My dry mouth means lots of gum line decay, who knew! Another professional to hunt in the wild wild west! At least the dentist won't be the barber!
ReplyDeleteYes, once you move beyond the rule of law, who knows..
DeleteAside from the pocket ouch, it sounds like it went smoothly. I am surprised at a 6.30am call though. Maybe here office staff could be at work by 7.30 but more likely 8.00 - 8.30, with surgery beginning at 9.00.
ReplyDeleteThey were fitting me in before the day's schedule. My hip surgeon has office visits starting at 6 am before going off to operate. I know he earns a ton, and he should! I don't know when he gets time to spend it!
DeleteInvesting the money for his retirement. I hope he doesn't die early.
DeleteAs far as dental costs go, that is not too very bad. Sometimes I am happy to be poor enough to get a significant government boost on my dental bills.
ReplyDeleteOn my income it's a large bill. I'm glad he gives me a discount.
DeleteThe bracelet looks better on your wrist where we can see the colours. I'm finished with my dentist for now and my debit card is heaving sighs of relief, but now my right eye isn't seeing properly...
ReplyDeleteAlways something, oh dear.
DeleteOuch on the cost, ouch on the post-fitting discomfort, but how fortunate you are to have a great dentist. Loved the 'who's on first' early morning exchange.
ReplyDeleteThe bracelet turned out very well - looks like the technique has clicked in your brain and hands. Love the sliding knot idea.
Chris from Boise
The bracelet is the fourth try and the only one that's wearable! If anyone gives you a friendship bracelet, treasure it, it's a lot of work.
DeleteThe jaw is all fine again now. Sometimes the injection site is the hurting bit, which I think this was. All good now.
Hope jaw settles soon. Now searching for the Ahasuerus joke...
ReplyDeleteSee the correction I put in. Really, I can't get anything right the first time!
Delete“...it's okay if your passionate observations have an audience of one.” Perfect timing given my passionate observations yesterday of the Triumph of San Rafael in Córdoba! I hope your mouth and jaw are feeling much better today. Ouch. I remember that pain from having my wisdom teeth out. Like I had been punched in the face.
ReplyDeleteYes, you're no stranger to niche experience, what with kidney puzzles, strange sculpture and history, and the ongoing language conundrums with SG.
DeleteI'm pleased to hear the dentist did his stuff effectively and hope the pain eases soon. My turn tomorrow, hygienist first, then dentist. She's young and encouraging, he's not quite so young and gently leaves me feeling guilty my teeth and gums are not in the condition they should be.
ReplyDeleteMy dentist seems to be running a reduced staff -- no hygienist, he's doing that himself, and his admin has resumed her dental assistant duties. Great patient care anyway. They're all cheerful and encouraging, or I'd go somewhere else.
DeleteMy dentist's office is now an all-woman operation! And it's so great that my entire family is going there.
ReplyDeleteYou reminded me of a thing my friend Lis said once about how they made "ones and ones of dollars" at a gig they did. These things happen.
Yes, you can't get too fixated on the numbers!
DeleteI hope the mouth pains have lessened since you posted this. I like that bracelet. Something the granddaughters would like.
ReplyDeleteThank you, it was mainly the injection site that was bothering me, as usual, all's well now.
DeleteThere are simpler versions of these bracelets, which a lot of kids learn at camp. They might like to try.
It must be the "other Ellen" that told you about that bug because I know nothing about such things!
ReplyDeleteGlad your jaw is feeling better.
Yes, there's another Ellen in my life! She's very knowledgeable about all things gardening which is how she could identify this moth.
DeleteI'm fine now, thank you. It's usually where the needle went in that bothers me after the numbness fades.
I stood next to a lady in my Zumba class for months before discovering that her name was Ellen, too! So now if one of us is missing our nearby friends always ask, "Where's the other Ellen?" :)
DeleteVery interesting little bug. You obviously work at seeing the small as well as the large on your way through life.
ReplyDelete