Out walking this morning while the baguette dough was rising, sounds like a traditional English song, early one morning, just as the bread was riiising, where was I, and noticed that first reddish tinge of budding leaves on the treetops.
At home it's looking as if the honesty finally showed up and has self seeded outside the pot.
And the vinca that came from next door is flowering
I'm not a fan of vinca because it vines around and makes it easy to trip, but the flowers are nice
I'd been walking while the baguette dough, this time with bread flour, was rising. Home again to knock it down and fold it a bit and form the baguettes, then leave them for another rise.
Hot from the oven smelling fine and a nice crumb. Lunch, forgot the picture, too hungry, was a chunk of hot baguette, split and stuffed with sharp cheddar which melted, and a green salad. Dessert yogurt and peach chunks.
The bread flour was excellent but I think next time I'll use a bit of whole wheat too, whole grain always good. I also think I'll double the recipe and freeze the extra.
I've been following a daily Lenten meditation series written by the nun who receives my knitting with flattering thanks.
The messages are quite revealing about herself, along with New testament references. It doesn't quite compare with the Mirror book of mystical thoughts, but it's a nice community of thought.
I don't think of prayer as words, and certainly not the endless nagging I detect when people are forever petitioning for something. I grew up more in a laborare est orare kind of mindset. Working is prayer. It's playing the hand you're dealt, not fussing for a better one with more high cards in it. And it's not about religion. For me.
Anyway that's me today. Happy day everyone, send good wishes and vibes to blogger e for a successful surgery and good recovery.
Those bagettes look amazing! I had never heard of honesty (well, the plant anyway) until this morning and look, its on your post and Steve's!
ReplyDeleteI love honesty for the silver coin like seed pods. I save the plants and add to my dried collection.
DeleteSame as Jeanie above! Two posts with a plant I'd never seen or hear of!
ReplyDeleteI got some "pan au levain" from the free truck (Bounty and Soul here) which had been baked by Whole Foods. Nice sour dough crumb, and since it's sliced and loaf shaped rather than a round, it's easier for my teeth to deal with. I had thought I'd try baking something this afternoon, but now I can wait a week!
Free bread! Doesn't get much better.
DeleteYour baguettes look great. I had a nice walk this afternoon (it's a warm day again) and it is so sweet to see some colors popping out and hear the birds singing.
ReplyDeleteOur temp was warm but the wind knocked it down a bit. I did sit on the deck with tea for a while though.
DeleteWishing blogger e well! I can smell that bread.
ReplyDeleteIt was so good coming out of the oven. Yes, we're all sending good vibes to e for tomorrow.
DeleteThe baguettes look really good. I almost always to a mix of whole grain and all purpose or bread flour. I'm amazed at the plants that are up and blooming. I have nothing yet.
ReplyDeleteThis was an experiment since I'd never used bread flour. But I really prefer whole grain, as you do, in a mix. Next time.
DeleteI think of prayer as you do. It’s the meditation you fall into while working, or knitting, crocheting or even hand sewing.
ReplyDeleteIt’s just throwing up good thoughts for those that are having a hard time. And the gratefulness of having the simple things in life. Flood shelter and a loving family.
That’s all you need. All the rest is just fluff.
I think you should write that song.
Walking while waiting on baguettes to rise lol
I think the song's been written a while back. And I thought it was funny, getting exercise while being ready for a large helping of bread!
DeleteI keep reading about your baguettes and still have not taken the plunge to try to make them. Made biscuits tonight to go with a chicken vegetable soup concoction.
ReplyDeleteThat soup and biscuits sounds good. Yes, try the baguettes, they're interesting to make and they've come out fine every time with different flours.
DeleteI want to take a giant bite of your baguette! Slathered in butter! Oh gosh, they look so good.
ReplyDeleteI did! Hot from the oven, sharp cheddar melted in like a great sandwich. So good. The crust is really crisp, too.
DeleteYour opening lines made me laugh out loud!
ReplyDeleteYou're someone on whom a joke is never lost! I treasure readers like you.
DeleteYour baguette looks absolutely delicious, should be slathered in butter though:)
ReplyDeleteMany years ago, when Katie was still a baby, we were at McDonald's and there was a group of church people talking about praying to have their parking lot paved. I wanted to slap the woman who said it and yell at her, "Maybe save the prayers for baby's that need it! But I didn't. And I also wanted to say, maybe they should just get up off their asses and get it done.
I so agree with you on just get in and do it! Don't delegate everything to God, that's insulting.
DeleteBeautiful photos. Your baguette looks scrumptious 😋
ReplyDeleteThank you. The baguettes are so good for so little effort.
DeleteI figure that prayer is to yourself, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting take, thank you.
DeleteI love seeing the first hints of spring colour in bare trees. Your baguettes are mouth watering.
ReplyDeleteThose touches of red, particularly when the wind is still cold, are so heartening. You really need to make baguettes, you'd love them. Directions below on finding the recipe.
DeleteCould you please repost the baguette recipe?
ReplyDeleteCheck the post from Friday March 6, also go to YouTube Baking on a Budget, Baguettes, for the video on process.
DeleteThank you.
DeleteI'm waiting for the oak trees to show their leaves. They're slow to come into leaf and slow to shed them, but I love them. Prayer is a personal thing and takes many forms.
ReplyDeleteThe indigenous people used to plant when the oak leaves were the size of a squirrel's ear. Which showed their knowledge, assuming that any one just knew which was an oak and how big a squirrel's ear is.
DeleteYes, that should definitely be a song!
ReplyDeleteI can't get over how quickly your plants are springing (hah, pun!) to life after that big snowstorm you had. Raining here this morning but at least the temp is above zero so it's not freezing. They're also calling for thunderstorms today and tomorrow and the temps will be going up and down - with more possibility of freezing rain later in the week. Gotta love spring here!
I'm glad you're seeing the first signs of winter retreating. My sisters all used to sigh about the length of the Canadian winter. They were totally ready to plant as soon as they could each year, to get all the growing season they could.
DeleteI used to say that dancing was my favorite form of prayer and it was.
ReplyDeleteNow I suppose it's being on my knees in the garden.
Your baguettes are a thing of beauty. Or things of beauty.
I agree, many forms. I'm doubtful about a god, but I believe in protecting the earth, my version.
DeleteThe baguette looks tasty. Let me get some butter.
ReplyDeleteBring plenty.
DeleteYou know Boud, I read that last line as 'praying the cards you're dealt', and it sent me off on such a wonderful think. What if the best prayers are simply taking the cards you're dealt and using that hand to bless yourself and those around you. What if we prayed not for more but prayed to wisely use what we have been given!
ReplyDeleteNail, head, bang.
Delete