Wednesday, January 7, 2026

Tuesday Knitting Group, Textiles and Tea, Roxie Fricton

Tuesday was about waking early, still dark, early breakfast, some weaving,


Near the end of the potholder pocket.

Then a nap. No need to get carried away. The luxury of being older is being able to get up as early as you like, knowing you can sleep in the day if you need to.

The knitting group was the core members, with new projects and old.



This is double knitting, such a talented knitter, just learned the technique, now working like a veteran.


Foreground a glove in progress from yarn she spun and dyed, background a piece of cotton fabric being hemmed as a table napkin.


I started a glove and forgot a picture till I got home. 

Home to Textiles and Tea with Roxie Fricton, a young weaver still in graduate school but already doing public large scale projects.




Here's A large piece which she wove in patterns resembling the texture of the original building it's based on and displayed in. She dyed the fiber with magnolia buds to acknowledge the magnolia tree by the entrance.

She's from Appalachian family background and is interested in honoring their Scottish-origin coverlet tradition of overshot weaving,  while making her own ideas count. 

She works in cotton, in various weave pattern on a four harness loom.







This is painted warp style portrait work, left Vita Sackville West, right her sometime lover, Virginia Woolf. 
Here's overshot gone wild! Many optical illusions and mixes of color.


This is overshot to resemble wallpaper torn  onback and revealing the underlayer.

She's a lively and very analytical researcher and weaver, still very young and with a bright future.

Happy day everyone, join me in celebrating young people showing us the fiberarts are in good hands 





40 comments:

  1. Chile oil - I like spiciness, Mike likes HEAT. I like to be able to taste my food.
    Wonderful young artist! Those are impressive works.
    What is double knitting?
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's amazing! Double knitting is double thickness, where the image is on both sides, colors reversed. Yes, it's tricky!
      I think you'd like chili oil, because yeung man is all about flavor. It has a lot of spices which are aromatic not hot, as well as some heat. It's balanced.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the explanation and I'll take a look at the recipe :-)

      Delete
  2. I like that black and white bedcover.

    Is Scottish overshot like the eight heddle Welsh Carthen weaving, creating a fabric with two different sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's four harness, but yes, two sides, colors reversed.

      Delete
  3. It was a brave attempt to create images of Vita and Virginia, and it almost there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great success. That impressionistic effect is how painted warp works. Unlike tapestry which can present a realistic image.

      Delete
  4. So many talented people, you included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't put myself in the class of my friends, but thank you!

      Delete
  5. Dear Boud thank you for taking us to the world of awesome creativity and stunning knitting work 👍♥️
    I felt astonished by the art work done through knitting wow ,it’s really amazing and impressive, hats off to great minds who created such nice pieces 👌♥️

    You deserve thanks for bringing these intriguing stuff and stories to share with us 🙏♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I think we live in such worrying times that we need to keep remembering art is still happening, beauty too.

      Delete
  6. What interesting fiber arts today! Yes indeed, the young energetic creative people are to be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very glad to see that the fiberarts continue to attract young people. It's not all electronics.

      Delete
  7. You can almost see the ideas fizzing from Roxie Fricton in her works, as each piece engenders further ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And she's so enthusiastic about her ideas and plans. Nothing daunts her.

      Delete
  8. Your new glove is in the colours of Ukraine, I see. Today is Ukrainian Christmas under the Old Calendar. Slava Ukraini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work with a woman who celebrated Ukrainian Christmas. And I honor Ukraine daily as you've probably noticed! Yes, long live Ukraine.

      Delete
  9. Well she certainly is doing amazing work.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her joy is infectious! So young and so energetic.

      Delete
  10. This young artist is a bright beam of light a time when I, at least, need it. You also have talented people in your knitting group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Roxie very cheering, too. And my friends in the group.

      Delete
  11. I have about an acre of magnolia seed pods but I don't think I'll be using them to dye anything. I like the idea of using them to dye the fabric as a tribute to the magnolia tree in front of the building but the color is not something I'd enjoy being around. Having said that, she truly is a remarkable artist. Dare I say the optical illusions remind me of certain LSD influenced images? The brain unleashed!
    As always, the ongoing work at knitting group is pretty darn amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's too young to remember Op Art, but yes, she practices it. I love the peach color of the finished weaving. Maybe not bright enough for your taste.
      My friends are talented, aren't they?

      Delete
  12. What beautiful weaving!
    I didn't even know double knitting was a thing, nor did mum I'm guessing. It's nice to see all the projects on the go. I'm looking forward to pottery starting up again next week. Quite excited actually:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your pottery is an important part of your life, and the friends you've made there. I tried a small piece of double knitting and sprained my brain in the process!

      Delete
  13. It's wonderful to see a young person so vested in fabric art. I was particularly intrigued by the peeling wallpaper piece. The potholder is growing by leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like that piece. The pot holder will soon be done

      Delete
  14. I'm very impressed. I hope you decide to share with Sunday in the art room. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to get permission from everyone involved to do that. Their agreement extends to this blog only at this point.

      Delete
  15. It's amazing the talent people have. Looking forward to seeing your finished potholder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great potholder pocket! And the start of your gloves is such a tease! I find it interesting that so many of Fricton’s pieces are two-part and most are attached (not sure this is how to explain it, so I hope you know what I mean). Maybe she made all these pieces using same/similar techniques? But, to me, they look varietous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She uses the overshot pattern a lot, but that enormous wall hanging is a different weave pattern. She does link unusual pieces, yes. Tons of imagination.

      Delete
  17. I've been to Vita Sackville-West's garden! I do love that painted portrait paired with Virginia Woolf's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! She was a brilliant gardener and designers as well as everything else.

      Delete
  18. Such talented artists all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the least among them, but it's so interesting to see this talent at work.

      Delete
  19. Some interesting projects going on here. I like that Appalachian weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really knows how to push the optical illusion with that pattern.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!