Monday, January 5, 2026

Walking returns

Sunday morning was cold and windy but very bright, so I got out walking before returning to the sofa to read and weave. 

Before I left, I did a  few minutes' farmer's carry with 5lb weights, wearing my boots, around the living room. It's a gradual process, but Sunday was dry, so I wore Tretorns for walking. They're a bit too big, always something.



Chilly chairs for snowmen 


Look at the pale gold of these beech leaves, hanging in for most of the winter 



Creepy shadows, cue scary music. It's like good tree, bad tree.

Crowds of kids later in this area, kicking balls, throwing spirals more or less, having a great time, girls and boys all playing, reminded me why I like living here rather than in a  quiet,  little retirement development.  

A lot of my friends live in them and like it, I'd hang sooner, but there, you do you, they'll do them. I love the energy of kids fizzing about.

Happy day everyone, fizz away! Sez Ted and Big Ursy 


And here's dear G fizzing away with me on a recent visit. She's one of the few people this 5'2" woman can tower over, I love it.







43 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sky! And a beautiful brisk walk to enjoy it.

    You would have towered over my dear late mother-in-law too. You and G are enjoying fizzing away, judging by your mutual grins.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late mother in law was about 4'8"! She thought I was from a race of giants.

      Delete
  2. Hearing kids play, watching dogs running around in a park, both very pleasurable and I would not want to isolate myself from the normal community.
    It's a nice photo of both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the mix of ages and races where I live. It's interesting.

      Delete
  3. I’m like you even though I love my alone time, I think I’d atrophy without the energy of children. The local primary school is just down the road and we can hear the bell going off all day.
    I’m only five foot so you’ll tower over me too

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good walk..try and innersole or two in the boots?
    You are like my grandmother..living in a block of pensioners flats, on the top( third) floor she loved hearing children play locally..others complained

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is why my neighbors like me -- I like their kids! That and the banana bread.

      Delete
  5. You are so tall! The tree shadows look alive, and it looks cold out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next to G I feel tall. It's an odd feeling.

      Delete
  6. Laughter of children is certainly an enjoyable part of life. Good to hear about your walk outside in the chill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the endless activity of kids is amazing to see!

      Delete
  7. So you're both tiny ladies:)
    I love the sound of children playing. We have a school behind us now and I like hearing the kids at recess and lunchtime playing together.
    Your snow is almost all gone. Lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, tiny? I tower!! Our snow was early. We usually get it in January and February, so I expect it will return.

      Delete
  8. My own neighborhood here has a vast shortage of kids. When we moved in, there was a family with young children. The family is still here. The children are grown.
    You are such a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing you have family, then. No kids is like a ghost place. Thank you for the nice words!

      Delete
  9. A day with a walk is the best kind of day! I decided to take a walk every day for the 12 days my kids were home on school break, and it was the best break we've ever had. I wore snow pants every day and had to wear my spikes (Stabilicers) about half the days too. My Husky dog was keen to oblige! If I had any thoughts of not going after pulling out my snow pants, his happy face and prancing feet motivated me. It was great to be out of the house and away from everyone, plus being out in nature is good medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting outside even briefly is great for the spirits. Not so sure I'd want a husky hauling me around -- I've known a couple who looked on humans as sledges to pull.

      Delete
  10. Tretorns are a name from my past. I don't think I've had Tretorns for 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to be cheap well designed sneakers. Then Puma bought them out, they disappeared from the market, reappeared years later at four times the price. I got mine on clearance, nearest size I could get, but not the quality of the old ones.

      Delete
  11. Good tree, bad tree! And look at you, SO TALL! How's the weather up there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Want me to reach for anything on the top shelf for you?

      Delete
  12. It looks as if that tree is going to walk away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a dynamic view, with the weird shadows.

      Delete
  13. Just back from a walk to the library for a book discussion. I wish I'd put on my crampons on my boots because the road was solid ice. I watched every place I put my feet and avoided big strides. Luckily no falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't do ice. You did well to keep your feet.

      Delete
  14. You must feel six-feet tall in that photo. The bare branches against the blue sky look quite pretty.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been too sick with the terrible flu to read or comment at all. I cough 24/7 and lay in bed not sleeping with a terrible sore throat. I saw the doctor again today and got more meds and I hope they do the trick. Don't catch this - it the worst! and I even had the flu shot! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful. I wonder if this year's flu shot didn't target that latest strain. I hope you soon recover.

      Delete
  16. You both look so happy in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always nice to get a walk in. You both look lovely in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were cracking up at our attempts to get into frame together!

      Delete
  18. Boud, belated Happy 2026 to you and looks like you got the year off to a great start by an outdoor walk. You and you friend look wonderfully happy and a grateful photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hanging seems a rather drastic alternative to a living in residential-child-free zone, but yes, to each their own! Great snap of you and G :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desperate measures! I think it's largely the age grouping I don't like. It feels unnatural.

      Delete
  20. I too live in a neighborhood with kids; their energy is great to watch as they run around, play basketball and ride their bikes. Sometimes it's difficult to drive my car to my house though; I have to be watchful of the young ones! Love the photo with the doctor. She must be very petite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoy the fact that there's a mix of age groups in our apartment building. Having a balance of kids and 'vintage' people is good for everyone I think.
    Wouldn't be fun to try to walk here today after yet another ice storm yesterday. Thankfully it was of short duration but still caused enough havoc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, the mix of ages. Ice is the weather I won't walk in, too tricky. But you have hallways, fortunately.

      Delete
  22. I know just what you mean -- it's fun to see kids around!

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!