Saturday, January 24, 2026

Kitties and textiles of yore

While I was editing, I came across these old pictures of the dynamic duo assisting in the textile studio.


Just to show my helpers at work.

There was a Hajii Baba Rug Club presentation today by Jacqueline Simcox, researcher, writer and dealer in early Asian textiles, of which I selected a few images, the captions not needing any help from me. She wrote the book in the first slide.  

Many of the works she showed included pearl rondels - those circle shapes around the borders of a lot of Asian woven garments and hangings, and animals. 

There were interesting versions of lions by weavers who had probably never seen them, but, undaunted, they did them anyway. Their mythical animals such as dragons, including the five clawed imperial dragon, were more assured. 




wonderful rendering of flowers here
This is a meditative mandala
yellow being the imperial color, this was a court garment
and here a diagram for people unfamiliar with embroidery, of the stitches used in the last piece
The last piece is an archery armguard, probably only symbolic, maybe for funerary rites. Actual armguards would have been leather. This one depicts the winged horse Pegasus, made a thousand years after the story originated, this one even with the snake from which Pegasus was born.

A lot of color has faded, purple fading to brown, reds sometimes vanishing, but indigo tends to persist. Where pieces have been kept away from light, the colors are vivid, madder red included.

More humbly, my home cotton spinning is in progress. The last time I tried to spin cotton from, probably over processed, roving, it was impossible. 

Two other, more experienced, spinners had given up on it before it came to me. I ended up using it to stuff comfort dolls, since it was clean and nice to handle. 

But my own minimally processed cotton is working fine. The thread has nups here and there, little lumps, but I'm not going for perfection, to put it mildly.

Happy day, everyone.  

Very cold here, snow due tonight, meanwhile I'm making soup. Stock from veggie bits, potatoes, red lentils, later I'll blend, then add chicken bones from those thighs a couple of weeks ago, take them out,retrieving any meat, then add pasta. 

And I've been reading about Christianna  Brand for a while so I'm trying an e-book.

Stay warm if applicable, stand with Minnesota 


Sez Ted and Big Ursy 







30 comments:

  1. Yes, Minnesota is choosing to be our red line and tRump has crossed it. Let's hope the courts back Minnesota and all of us behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly their choice, but since the fight was forced on them, they're standing fast.

      Delete
  2. I watched Kristi Noem vomiting her lies on Fox News, which was broadcast to another channel (of course they are playing footsie together) then was happy to see another channel indicate how wrong she had been, and show some of the truth about the latest victim of an ICE shooting. OK, there, I'm done now! Back to fiber art. Loved these, including the stitches descriptions! I actually saw some kind of "free-range" fiber art on FB today...need to go back and capture it (a French artiste!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The presenter has a lot of respect for the Chinese embroidery she showed. I wonder if she stitches, because she sounded very knowledgeable.

      Delete
  3. I hope that deploying the Minnesota National Guard may help to bring some calm to the escalating situation. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A researcher, writer and dealer in early Asian textiles walks into a bar. Stop me if you heard this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pieces from Yore. I remember learning chain stitch and cross stitch too but never got the hang of finishing without making an unsightly knot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a lot of practice to finish off embroidery threads neatly, true.

      Delete
  6. I saw lots of Chinese textiles in the V&A in london. They’re were magnificent. I was in awe looking at them the amount of work and the details.
    Facebook today is all bout the shooting of an innocent man trying to help a woman the ICE agents had thrown to the ground.
    The videos are very disturbing but we must continue to share them so that everyone can see and they can’t hide the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinese embroidery is wonderful. One of my knitting group friends grew up learning it in China, and we keep hoping she'll bring some to show us.

      Delete
  7. I keep forgetting about Fahrenheit and Celsius. I thought, well it was only 7 here this morning and then the lightbulb went on. The ancient works are incredible. The archery armguard especially caught my attention. I hope to hear much better news out of Minnesota (and the USA in general). Those poor, decent people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought the Midwest would be our front lines, but here we are.
      Yes, it's cold here. The beauty and power in those ancient works is keeping me going.

      Delete
  8. I’m sure those cats were wonderful assistants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty kitties!
    I'm curious to know if the weavers and stitchers in that program on Chinese and Asian textiles were professionals. Was that their occupation? It must have been. I always think about those historical fiction novels about the English royalty and it sounds as if most of the women embroidered half their lives away. Embroidering and praying. I wonder what the life of the people who created all of those beautiful Chinese works was like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was their trade. There are still here and there professional embroiderers. In India they tend to be men. In the west largely women. It's a grinding life for employed embroiderers, especially in the past.
      Those noble women spent most of their time pregnant! And dying young. .

      Delete
  10. It's sickening what's going on in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was -32C here this morning. Soup was on the menu here too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love these textiles. Very beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many more, but I selected what I liked best and what would work for blogistas who might not have an encyclopedic knowledge of Asian textiles!

      Delete
  13. Please tell me how you like the Brand (or not!) I've read two of hers but this one is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's okay, because I speed through when she starts repeating herself. I have another one on audiobook which needs to be sped up, same reason. I'll finish both, like them enough for that, but may not read much more of her. Her characters don't quite grip. And the writer seems to have a shaky grasp on social history.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful textiles. We are cold and snowing but we are tucked in warm and safe.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was -30C here and definitely too darned cold to be outdoors. I feel for those who have to be and for the little critters that have to try to survive. More importantly, I feel for the people in Minnesota who are showing the world what it means to fight for what's right.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!